Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurants on the Ille Saint Louis/Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurants-on-the-ille-saint-louis-paris-803994/)

kelbo Aug 31st, 2009 03:01 PM

Restaurants on the Ille Saint Louis/Paris

Has anyone tried Le Tastevin or Le Fin Gourmand in the 4th. I am looking for great restaurants on the island. Thanks! My only other reservation for dinner is at the Rotisserie D'en Face , which is a friend of mine's favorite in the Latin Quarter. Thank you!

nancy Aug 31st, 2009 03:35 PM

The following are two clips from my Paris trip report.

La Flore en L’Ile – onion soup excellent
Ate at a really cute restaurant, Auberge de la Reine Blanche

Either of these I would go back to.

maitaitom Aug 31st, 2009 03:44 PM

From my December 2006 Trip report:

".... We had dinner reservations at Le Tastévin on the Ilé Saint Louis.

We were going to be late for our 8:30 reservation, so I hurried ahead of Tracy to make sure our table was still there, opened the door and saw…no one! Yep, we were the only people there (a few minutes later, others started trickling in).

Now, I have never been known as Mr. Etiquette, but I do have a sense of decorum and have not embarrassed anyone too much at a meal (well, since I was 40). I have never noticed that in some restaurants in Paris, the forks by your plate are turned downward.

We ordered our dinner and a bottle of wine, and as we sat there chatting, I fiddled with my turned-down fork. Suddenly my mother was reincarnated in the form of the restaurant owner. If she’d had a ruler, she would have smacked my hand.

“You are in Paris. In Paris, the fork is always turned down,” she said, and she didn’t have that Colgate smile when she relayed this startling information to me. Needless to say, I didn’t move that damned fork until my dinner came, because I think she had a secret peephole in the wall to spy on unsuspecting Americans who play with their forks when she leaves the room.

The dinner (except for the fork incident) was uninspiring, but the molten chocolate cake for dessert was phenomenal. I would not recommend the place, even if the owner was a tad less obsessive-compulsive about her forks."

((H))

cigalechanta Aug 31st, 2009 03:51 PM

I like the brasserie Ilse St Louis because I like their Steak Tartare and sitting on the terrace you can enjoy the musicians who play on the bridge just a few feet away.

TPAYT Aug 31st, 2009 04:18 PM

The places we liked on Ile St. Louis:

Le Flore en L'ile---- MDH loves the roast chicken and I liked the cod with creamy dill sauce. We've had many other items there also. Great onion soup as mentioned above. A nice more casual place for dinner or lunch. Very friendly service.

L'Ilot Vache----I love the room & place settings. We had price fixe at 36 euros. I had escargot, lamb chops, & creme brulee. MDH had veg, chicken, & apple tart. A nice bottle of wine to go with. Excellent service and food.

We will eat at both of these again more than once on our up coming trip.

Another favorite is Sorza----excellent pasta dishes, and the veal shank looked beautiful.

La Caveau(sp?) en Ile----mixed reviews. Cute room upstairs and down. I again had lamb chops which were very good, but MDH had steak of some kind and he wasn't fond of it. Very friendly service.

Not our favorites were:

Mon Veil Ami-----alot of people recommend this place, but we didn't care for the food (very heavy) and the night we were there, the service was not even close to good.

Another Italian place a few doors from Sorza (can't remember the name). It wasn't bad for the price, but there are many better.

This year we were going to try Le Tastevin and Le Fin Gourmand as they both usually get high reviews on this site. Now not sure about Le Tastevin..

We've stayed on Ile St. Louis for years now and love the location.

Kelbo---I'd love to hear more about Rotisserie D'en Face(Location, type of food, etc.)

nancy---I'd also like to know more about Auberge de la Reine Blanche.

MaineGG Aug 31st, 2009 06:06 PM

Good friends of ours who always stay on the Ile St. Louis recommend Le Relais de l'Isle. They have a jazz pianist or small combo. We didn't get there during our recent trip, but you will find many complimentary comments on Trip Advisor and other sites like that.

http://www.lerelaisdelisle.fr/index-en.htm

cynthia_booker Aug 31st, 2009 06:41 PM

We like Le Caveau de I'Isle, 36 rue Saint Louis very much. I think the prices are a little more modest than some other places on the islands, but the food and service are very enjoyable. We really enjoyed the meals we had. Also, has a charming atmosphere.

elsiejune Aug 31st, 2009 07:42 PM

Kelbo,
We stayed on the Ile two years ago. Le Fin Gourmet came highly recommended by our apt. rental agency, but we were disappointed. Food was just okay and there were lots of English-speakers on our night. OTOH, I'm one of those people who enjoyed the meal at Mon Vieil Ami, so go figure. Different strokes for different folks. We did enjoy a small Italian resto just a five minute walk away in the Marais, Chiaro di Luna at 8 rue de Jouy. Be sure to try the tartines at M. Martin's boulangerie (across from Berthillon) - simply delicious and a simple meal themselves. EJ ((#))

schnauzer Aug 31st, 2009 08:51 PM

We ate at Le Caveau both times in Paris and thoroughly enjoyed our meals each time. I would recommend this restaurant. It is not an extensive menu but what they cook is very good.

Schnauzer

RonZ Aug 31st, 2009 10:04 PM

We are very partial to Tastevin. Very quiet place, family run.

kelbo Sep 1st, 2009 02:31 PM

I had lunch at Auberge de la Reine Blanche with my sister last year and I really enjoyed it.I had a delicious Duck Cassoulet. I want to go for lunch again but am looking for a little more " special" atmosphere for dinner. I also had dinner at at the Ille Saint Louis Brasserie last year. I ordered the wrong thing ( it was liver and I thought it would be veal :( and it just wasn't my cup of tea) My sister had the steak and frites..we were disappointed with our meal but really loved the atmosphere and I will give it another try. I actually love steak tartare so i will give that a whirl!

Thanks Everyone. I will post when I return. My very good friend goes to Rotisserie D'en Face every time she is in Paris ( 2-3x a year) and so I promised her I would give it a try. More to come...thanks for the feedback .

nancy Sep 1st, 2009 03:21 PM

TPAYT: The only other note I made about Auberge de la Reine Blanche is that the onion soup wasn't as good as La Flore en L’Ile but the coq au vin was really good. Honestly, I just remember that I liked the restaurant and it was reasonably priced. There were 4 of us, all ordering different things and all liked their meals.

kelbo Sep 27th, 2009 05:18 AM

We ate at a few restaurants and wanted to share my experiences. Brassierie St louis was great to sit outside and have a drink. We also had lunch there on our first day and the cassoulet was very good. We had dinner at la Auberge Reine blanche and I really enjoyed it. I have been there twice and it is reasonable and cute. The other dinner was at Le Caveau with some friends and the only space was on the lower level. It smelled musty/mildewing to me immediately but my friends hadn't noticed and wanted to stay downstairs. The food was good, not great, but I was struggling with the smell! The upstairs dining did not smell musty at all. When my fiance and I got home we realized our clothes smelled like the mildew! I really wish I had spoken up more about the smell :(.

Deja_Sue Sep 27th, 2009 09:45 AM

We really enjoyed Tastevin and found the staff to be quite congenial. The food was very good too. We're going back in two weeks.