Restaurants not to miss, St. Remy area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at Hostellerie du Vallon de Valrugues in St. Remy. Any advice on their restaurant, or others with a half hour's drive? We also enjoy walking a bit after dinner. Thanks, everyone.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:59 AM

I know it's been noted before, but the one restaurant in the area I wouldn't miss is L'Atelier in Arles.

-Kevin

p.s.: walking around Arles on a quiet evening is true pleasure.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM
annieladd

Our most memorable meal on our last trip to France was Oustau de Baumeniere (sp?) in Les Baux. annieladd

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Friends who recently dined there give a strong recommendation to La Riboto de Taven, up near Les Baux. We ourselves liked the Bistrot du Paradou quite a lot. Reservations are essential at both restaurants.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:45 PM

I read good things about Mas du Capoun in Molleges. Is there any first hand experience with this place? It has been written up in Food & Wine Magazine.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:44 AM

Personally I'd skip dinner at the Vallon.

The Mas de Capoun is excellent and worth the twenty minite drive from St. Rémy.

Bistrot de Paradou and the Oustau are both overpriced and over-rated. Certainly not what they once were.

Others I recommend highly:
Les Baux de Provence

* Riboto de Taven
In the Val d'Enfer, just below the village of Les Baux. An excellent Michelin one star restaurant for thirty-five years, they've turned in their star and are no longer serving a varied menu. They've become a country inn and serve a dinner with a set menu . Call in advance to see what they're serving - and if they have room. The menu changes with the seasons, but always includes regional dishes. Beautiful garden and terrace with a view of the village of Les Baux. Dining on the terrace in the summer months, otherwise indoors in what was once the bergerie (sheepfold).
Dress - Dressy casual, although no ties required for men.
Tel: 04 90 54 34 23
Menu is usually around 45 euro

In Maussane/Paradou:
* Bistrot de La Petite France

Former Michelin one star restaurant, just outside Maussane near Le Paradou in a renovated farmhouse. They "turned in" their star and changed the style of the restaurant to a less formal bistro. Excellent food, good service. One of the best wine lists in France (the chef's father is the owner of the largest wine distributor in the south of France)
Casual. Reservations recommended Closed Wednesday and Thursday
55, avenue de la Vallee des Baux Tel: 04 90 54 41 91
Menu - 25 euro

L’atelier de Jean-Luc Rabanel

Opened by the former chef, and creator of the only registered organic restaurant La Chassagnette in the Camargue. This is a small restaurant in the heart of the shopping area. The theme remains the same – organic, fresh and inventive.

They have various lunch formulas at varying prices
Dinner – 50 €
7, rue des Carmes
tel: 04 90 91 07 69

Outside of St. Remy in the direction of Noves:

La Maison (Domaine de Bournissac)
New restaurant and country inn (about two years old) - in a lovely old mas. Excellent cuisine. Terrace shaded by a fig tree. Menus at around 40 euro
Closed Monday and Tuesday noon
tel: 04 90 90 25 25

If you want a big blowout type meal...

Eygalières

* Bistrot d'Eygalières "Chez Bru"
Michelin one star. Charming restaurant in the center of this tiny village. Owners/chef are Belgian, trained at the Baumanière in the 'good old days'. Inventive cuisine, fairly good wine list. In the summer, tables are set outside on the sidewalk for outdoor dining.
Reservations recommended in season and on weekends.
rue Republique Tel: 04 90 90 60 34
Lunch menu 45 euro Dinner menus 85/100 €

Patricia
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Patricia,

We have just received an e-mail that L'Atelier will be closed 10/30-11/8..we will miss it!! If you were to choose one restaurant as a substitute that would be as wonderful, which would it be???
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:09 AM

Well, nothing is going to be anything like Jean Luc's, but I'd have to say either
La Maison or the Bistrot d'Eygalières (which has two stars, not one). Or, you might like the Cabro d'Or... sister hotel to the Oustau de la Baumanière. The chef there is excellent and it's in a very pretty setting.

Patricia
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Patricia,

Thank you...I really respect your opinion. We know we won't replicate Jean Luc, and are beyond disappointed to hear of the closure, but we'll try again for next year....this time, we'll look forward your choices and, with your help, are sure to have another memorable meal.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Are reservations needed at L'Atelier? If so, how far in advance?

Thanks!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Since you are in St.Remy and have been driving all day(days) I would suggest the former One Star* Fredericks located right in town with excellent food and atmosphere and walks around the delightful small shops of St.Remy.The roads in that area of Provence are so dark and blacked out that even with that extra glass of wine the walk back "home" will be an appreciated delight.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:51 AM

I've read a lot here about Cabro d'Or, especially that they're a lower priced option to their sister restaurant, but when I contacted them to find out about dinner this coming Easter Monday (March), I was told that it would be 120-150 Euro/person - am I reading that right? Is that because it's Easter or are those normal prices for the area? Especially with the dollar here being so weak, that would be a crazy extravagent meal . . .
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:35 AM

The price may well be. It is now a R & C member.

Read what PB Provence has to say..she lives in the area, and knows exactly what is what, currently.

Personally, I would go to Riboto de Taven as it happens to be a favorite of mine.

Another for me..L’atelier de Jean-Luc Rabanel.

You better check for a Monday for being open.

Enjoy........
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM

We celebrated my wife's 50th birthday at Riboto de Taven in '99. But my '07 Michelin guide says that you can only dine there if you are staying at the hotel.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM

I just sent an e mail to Christine and Philippe about dining for outsiders. It could be that they have decided to do just that.

Lovely place, and lovely people. I always go there when in the south of France..from Riviera to Provence!

I will respond upon hearing from them.....
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:27 AM

I checked their website and it says "non resident diners welcome" and they serve diner only.

I also looked at my 2007 Michelin. It says dinner only and nothing about resident diners only....

I will be hearing from Christine and will clear it all up....
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM

thanks - that would be great. i emailed them directly (and atelier about easter monday lunch) and am just waiting to hear back.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Gracejojoan3 - are we talking about Riboto de Taven??? If so, we must have different editions of the '07 Red Michelin guide. Mine clearly says "residents only". Viamichelin also says "residents only"

- 13520 LES BAUX DE PROVENCE
Telephone: 04 90 54 34 23
Fax: 04 90 54 38 88
E-mail: [email protected]
Open for business:
closed 3 January-3 March - closed Wednesday

Meal prices:
Set meals (residents only) 54€ Wine served by glass

Cuisine:
classic

Comments:
Medieval-style dining room that opens onto a delightful shaded terrace. Market cuisine served.

Facilities:
Interesting or extensive view Meals served in garden or on terrace Garden No dogs allowed rm Installations for the physically handicapped rm Air conditioning rm Outdoor swimming pool Enclosed car park for customers only

Useful information:
dinner only

Credit cards:
American Express credit card Visa credit card Master Card (Eurocard) credit card

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM

How is Alain Assaud? Is there an email address?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Also, is there an email address for Jardin de Frédéric?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -