Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   restaurants near victoria station (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurants-near-victoria-station-596734/)

cicifromm Mar 6th, 2006 06:19 AM

restaurants near victoria station

We are going to be staying near Victoria Station on Ebury Street and wanted some good suggestions for casual, moderate to inexpensive (for London) restaurants. Thank you.

TimS Mar 6th, 2006 06:27 AM

Jenny Lo's Tea House, 14 Eccleston St (cash only)

Barbara_in_CT Mar 6th, 2006 06:30 AM

Ebury Wine Bar on Ebury Street next door to the Lime Tree

ASK - chain, Italian and pizza. Across street from front entrance of Victoria STation. (It's been a couple of years.)

Kippy Mar 6th, 2006 06:58 AM

Seconding Jenny Lo's Teahouse.

Good Chinese food, reasonable prices and shared tables, so not formal.

CJS Mar 6th, 2006 06:57 PM

How about a "not"--- Prince Albert's pub, which was pretty bad.

There is another chain-not sure it's still there, BELLA PASTA very near Victoria. The one there was great--we ate at another one on Irving Street near National Portrait Gallery which was not too good.

The Aberdeen (???) steak house stuff is not particularly good in my view--trying to find ethnic and not-a-chain will be smarter. We ate at the Balti House on Buckingham Palace Road from Victoria towards the palace, and it was good.

MelJ Mar 6th, 2006 07:23 PM

Geez, I'd forgotten about Jenny Lo's--had such a great bowl of noodles on a cold night a few years ago. Her father owns a very, very upscale Chinese restaurant around the corner--can't think of the name.

bettyk Mar 6th, 2006 07:34 PM

We enjoyed the Bella Pasta or Bella Italia, whatever it's called now, near Victoria Stn. There is a wonderful little restaurnat on Buckingham Palace Rd. on the same side as the Palace called Bumbles. Great food moderately priced (for London that is). We also enjoyed the Duke of York restaurant upstairs but can't remember the name of the street tho seems it's on a corner.

Anyway, lots of good small restaurants and chains in that area.

janisj Mar 6th, 2006 09:09 PM

besides Jenny Lo - you can walk about 7-10 minutes over to Lupus street to a Goya Tapa bar. There is a full course spanish restaurant in the basement - but the Tapas Bar on the ground floor is actually a better choice. Great on cool nights w/ all the coffee/liquor drinks and Tapas, and on nice evenings you can sit outside.

There are also two good Indian restaurants - And I can't remember the name of either one. But one is in Winchester Street and the other is in Morton Street. Winchester St is a short walk - maybe 3-5 minutes - from Ebury.

CotswoldScouser Mar 6th, 2006 10:38 PM

The street caled Strutton Ground, off Victoria Street, is a reasonably good area for really average cheap lunch joints.

Other than at lunch, the area's practically a desert since most places apart from chains close at night. Unless you want to live off Pizza Expresses and the like, the best advice is to have your dinner elsewhere.

Pretty much the only exception I can think of is the remarkable Sri Lankan place Sekara in Lower Grosvenor PLace. This may be the place janisj refers to as "Indian": Californians are rarely strong on the difference between foreign countries.

I've not eaten at the Poule au Pot, at the western end of Ebury St, for years. But it still gets "you'd have thought it'd disappeared by now but the food was fine" reviews. And there's an OK noodle bar, with surprisingly civilised and helpful Eastern European staff, just where Victoria St hits Buck Palace Rd.

Otherwise, get your copy of the Time Out Guide and eat elsewhere.

janisj Mar 7th, 2006 05:00 AM

&quot;<i>Californians are rarely strong on the difference between foreign countries.</i>&quot;

true-ish - when it comes to the sub continent. But no - the places I was talking about are down closer to the river/in Pimlico - and are Indian (I think) :)

I'll definitely have to check out Sekara next trip.

nwtraveler Mar 7th, 2006 07:16 AM

There's a really good Spanish restaurant called Goyas, 2 Eccleston Place. Be careful when ordering the tapas. Some of the portions were much larger than I am use to here at home and we ended up ordering too much food.

If you like chocolate, don't miss the Chocolate Society Shop, 36 Elizabeth Street. They have the most delicious brownies and chocolate dipped cookies. There's also a really good french bakery two doors down.

Joe18 Mar 7th, 2006 08:45 AM

I'll second bettyk's suggestion of Bumbles. We've eaten there a couple times and planned to go back the last time we were in London--2002--but it turned out that they were closed on Mondays, the one day that we had available. Nice menu that includes traditonal: toad in the hole, spotted dick, etc.

m_kingdom2 Mar 7th, 2006 09:17 AM

I don't know why you want to eat in that area. There are some places - as others have recommended - in that area, but you're far better in Mayfair, Chelsea, Knightsbridge, etc. etc.

Ebury St. if I am not mistaken is SW1, practically in Pimlico, so near Belgravia - fabulous places to eat there. Follow general recommendations previously made here, there and everywhere.

pspsps Mar 7th, 2006 09:27 AM

Ebury St. if I am not mistaken is SW1, practically in Pimlico, so near Belgravia - fabulous places to eat there. Follow general recommendations previously made here, there and everywhere

so what fabulous places are you talking about?

nini Mar 7th, 2006 09:36 AM

Someone mentioned Bumbles--I think the restaurant is called Grumbles which is in the Ebury St area.

bettyk Mar 7th, 2006 11:15 AM

No, Nini, the restaurant I'm referring to is called BUMBLES and it's on Buckingham Palace Road just down the street from Buckingham Palace. We stayed at the Rubens Hotel also on Buck Palace Rd.

Joe18 Mar 8th, 2006 08:58 AM

Out of curiosity, I did a Google search for Bumbles. The first hit is http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2494.htm, which contains a long list of reviews. All are favorable, even the first in it's own odd way. However, it's a model of condescension and hipper-than-thou putdown of English food. A good laugh.

bettyk Mar 8th, 2006 01:02 PM

Joe, I used your website to find a review of Grumbles that Nini mentioned:

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2516.htm

There were a couple of negative reviews but most were positive. The nearest tube stop is Pimlico.

nini Mar 8th, 2006 01:46 PM

Wow--a Bumbles amd a Grumbles--will have to look at those on next trip to London.

gailscout Mar 12th, 2006 08:00 AM

Grumbles is very good as is Charms across the street. Charms is so very British with several ciders on tap. My husband and I eat at these 2 restaurants every time we are in London as it is near our hotel, Westminster City Inn.