Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurants near Umbertide that serve a few vegetarian or seafood dishes (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurants-near-umbertide-that-serve-a-few-vegetarian-or-seafood-dishes-706238/)

JulianV May 18th, 2007 05:54 PM

Restaurants near Umbertide that serve a few vegetarian or seafood dishes

Hello,
My husband and I will be staying near Umbertide (in Umbria) in a couple weeks and are trying to find some (ideally good to excellent) restaurants that serve some fish dishes and/or vegetarian dishes, either in Umbertide itself or anywhere within about 15 miles of it (we'll have a car).

The restaurants don't have to be primarily seafood or vegetarian but just need to have some of these choices on the menu. Alternately, the restaurants can have a seafood or vegetarian focus.

Prices can range from inexpensive/casual to high end/expensive (and if there are any excellent upscale restaurants in the area that fit these menu criteria, I'd love to know about those as well!)

Any help that anyone can provide would be most appreciated! :-)
JV

StCirq May 18th, 2007 06:32 PM

Anywhere in Italy you will have a wide range of vegetarian options, so I wouldn't fret about this. You can have any number of pasta dishes that don't involve meat. You can get grilled vegetables or the yummy sautéed spinach or artichoke side dishes.It's just not an issue.

I had a lovely lunch on the main square in Umbertide last October that included an antipasto of epic proportions with not a bit of flesh in sight. Fish? Didn't have any near Umbertide, but gobbled up plenty of wonderful lke fish lunches and dinners in various towns around Lago Trasimeno.

JulianV May 20th, 2007 07:44 PM

Thanks StCirq! I'm pretty familiar with the non-meat options in most of Italy since I lived in Florence for 7 years until recently and have traveled pretty extensively all over Italy, but have never been to Umbria before (I know - shame on me for living in the next province over and never making it down to our 'next-door neighbors'.)

The reason I was concerned about the Umbrian non-meat cuisine options is that a local (the property manager of the place we're renting) told me it was extremely difficult to find non-meat options in Umbria as the cuisine is very heavily based on meat. But I thought there must be somewhere to find them. Thanks for confirming that they're not as hard to find as he stated (I don't really blame him since I realize that people who do eat a lot of meat don't necessarily think about the non-meat aspect of dishes when they order them).

Happy travels!
JV

StCirq May 20th, 2007 07:53 PM

Hi,JV:

I spent 5 weeks in Umbria, based in Paciano, last year and part of them with my vegetarian daughter, and we never once found a restaurant where there wasn't something wonderful she could eat and anjoy. And she doesn't even eat fish!

There were always salads and grilled veggies and pastas without meat and pizzas without meat.

I really would consider this a non-issue. Yes, meat may be a staple of the Umbrian diet, but there are countless other options to choose from. Enjoy your trip!

JulianV May 21st, 2007 09:21 AM

Grazie mille StCirq!

JV