Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants near the Hotel Millesime (Rue Jacob) in the 6th.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:09 PM
Karen

I'd like some ideas for restaurants in the area around the hotel. I like some inexpensive and well as moderate choices.

My husband and I have to watch our diets and need to avoid dairy products, red meat and fried foods. I am miserable about having to be on a restricted diet in PARIS of all places. While we might splurge and cheat ocassionally, for medical reasons, we both have to watch what we eat. Any thoughts? I know that most of the sauces will be made with butter or cream. What about ethnic restaurants in the area? Thanks

Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:36 PM
Maribel

Karen,
We just had a great meal at Fish Bouissonerie on 69 rue de Seine, just a couple of blocks away from the Millesime. It's wildly successful (the owners are very media savvy)-must reserve on wks-because it breaks the mold: casual, affordable Mediterranean cuisine, with terrific pasta dishes, vegetarian choices, nice salads. The chef is English, the co-owners an American and a New Zealander (who also owns the "sandwich bar", Cosi across the street). While it does attract a heavy expat, Anglo crowd, it's equally popular with Parisians looking for something new and different. We loved the penne pasta with spicy, minced vegetables. Also try the mussels cooked with cumin and corinader, tuna steak, the risotto and the grilled vegetable appetizer.. If you can't snag a table, you can always dine at the bar, but go early! There's a well chosen wine list with many good-value southwestern selections (Languedoc, Roussillion).
It was mentioned in last spring's Gourmet issue dedicated to Paris and in this month's La Belle France.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it-a real winner!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:51 PM
Maribel

Ah, yes, my highly inaccurate French spelling!
Make that
"Fish la Boissonnerie" (closed Mon)
and wines from Roussillon
aaaaargh!

Apr 4th, 2002, 01:02 PM
j

Epi Dupin - great prix fixe meal in 6th for about $20. Very popular, book in advance. You're also near the Latin Quarter with many ethnic restaurants.

Apr 4th, 2002, 01:17 PM
pj

We stayed at Danube last week you will love the street. I will be staying ay the Millessime in July!! There is an excellent restaurant on Rue Jacob. 38 Rue Jacob, A L Ardoise de St Germain. Tel 01 42 96 32 93. Absolutely the best!!! Le Petit Zinc is very nice 11 rue St. Benoit www.petitzinc.com PJ

Apr 4th, 2002, 01:59 PM
kate

We always stay on rue Jacob, here are some of our favorites.
Le Petit St Benoit- rue St-Benoit,small neighborhood bistro,good food,friendly good atmosphere,nothing fancy at all!
I like having drinks/a late night omelet at Cafe Deux Magots on Blvd St Germaine.
Chez Maire Paul- rue Monsieur le Prince
Leone -Blvd St Germain-mussels mussels mussels!
Allard-rue St Andre des Arts -great bistro.
L'Ecluse-Quai des Grandes Augustins-good wine bar with food
L'Epi Dupin-rue Dupin reserve as soon as you can.always busy.
Les Bookinistes quai des Grands Augustins
Cafe Marly at the Louvre, great to sit outside and have lunch/tea/take a break and people watch.
Polidor -rue Monsieur le Prince-good cheap food,old fashioned resto.
We don't eat red meat and have found that Paris offers so many good fresh foods that it is never hard to find something that will suit your diet.
Have a great time~

Jan 19th, 2004, 10:02 PM
pj

ttttttttt
Jan 19th, 2004, 10:13 PM

Here are a couple more to add courtesy of Severin at Hotel Danube:

Au 35 rue Jacob (address is the same as the name)

Le Temps Perdu (54 rue de Seine)
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:03 AM

We always stay at either the Millesime or the du Danube.

some of our favorite neighborhood or walkable places are

Rotisserie d' Un Face on Rue Christine and
L' Espadon Bleu on Rue de Grand-Augustins..nr rue Christine. These bistros both belong to the Jacques Cagna group and really deliver!

A new favorite from our last trip this year ..chez Fernand on Rue Christine. No English menu and the waiters don't speak much English , so bring a menu translator if you need to!

And our rainy night place when we don't want to walk more than 5 minutes or just want something simple and delicious..Relais de L'Entrecote on rue St Benoit..no menu just salad ,entrecote with a wonderful sauce and frites. You might think you are not getting mucch meat for the price, but don't worry , when you've finished they bring the second serving so your food is always hot! Good desserts too!

The only place we were slightly disappointed this year was Le Temps Perdu, but maybe it was just an off night as a lot of posters like it.

Jan 20th, 2004, 05:05 AM

pj,
We spent New Years in Paris and wanted to have a great steak at L'Entrecote, but unfortunately it is closed now for renovations, and I don't expect it to reopen for several months. A sign in the window directs you to their other branch on the Right Bank.

We're also fans of Chez Maitre Paul, where we dined on New Year's Day. It continues to be an excellent value, with the price of their "menu", including a 1/2 bottle of wine p.p., having only risen 1 euro in the past 2 years-33 euros. We had a lovely meal there once again with excellent, highly professional, friendly service. Another winner, next door to Les Bouquinistes, opened by William Ledeuil, the former chef of that Guy Savoy spinoff, is Ze Kitchen Galerie. Their "formule" and "menus" for lunch with 2 or 3 courses including a glass of wine, are terrific deals for very refined, creative cuisine with a slight Asian touch in a stylish setting. We occupied the banquette table right next to the open kitchen and enjoyed watching Ledeuil and co. work their magic. He came out to table hop and greet at the end. Warm welcome, too. It, along with Les Bouquinistes, are now definite repeaters for us.
Jan 20th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Jody, I tried to locate Chez Fernand on rue Christine and could find only chez Fernand on rue Guisarde. Have they relocated to rue Christine? That would be great for us, as it is closer to our hotel.
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Your diet will hardly restrict you from having elegant meals in Paris. You've gotten good suggestions for your area but really there is no need to eat just within that area. Other areas are easy to reach and explore.
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:32 AM

Please note: Original Post is almost 2 years old.
May 28th, 2012, 04:56 PM

Ttt