Restaurants near Hotel Santa Chiara?

Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:19 PM
mike meeker

Restaurants near Hotel Santa Chiara?

Any suggestions?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:47 AM
elaine

Hi mike
I stayed at the Santa Chiara last fall; liked it very much, hope you will too.

Here are some places I liked
La Tartaruga,via del Monte della Farina 53, 06 686 9473, closed Mon.
Sept 01, I had dinner two nights in a row there--I've never done that anywhere before. The address is a small street that starts next to the church of St Andrea della Valle, immediately south of Corso Vittorio Emmanuelle, near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona. It is family-run, and the same family owns a farm in Tuscany where they produce their own olive oil and wine vinegar. All the food was outstanding on both nights (the second night I went with some new acquaintances) and as simple as it sounds, the mandarine (tangerine) sorbet was to die for. Cost for one, full meal plus a glass of wine and coffee, was about $40 and worth twice that.

Myosotis, via dela Vaccarella 3/5, phone 06 686 5554, credit cards, closed Sun www.myostotis.it It was excellent. Simple décor, inviting pink color scheme. Complete dinner for one with a glass of wine, L 62,000. If I'd had more time I would have gone there again. Pleasant and efficient service, very good food. A very good value.

I had one very casual dinner on Piazza Navona, at Ai Tre Tartufi. Next door is I Tre Scalini, famous for its desserts and gelati, but doesn't offer much else in the way of food, at least not at the outdoor tables. At Ai Tre Tartufi I had very good pizza. Pizza not like what I'm used to--this was dinner-plate sized for one person, very thin and crisp crust, toppings were generous but light, not too much mozzarella, not too much sauce. There were pasta dishes and other items available as well. Their gelato may not be dubbed the "best", but it was plenty yummy as far as I was concerned.

Jan 24th, 2002, 07:13 AM
lisa

Enjoyed a good – but not great – dinner at Tre Scalini on the Piazza Navona, not far from the hotel. My mushroom risotto was delicious.

We enjoyed a great dinner at Bramante which is on a beautiful little back street full of tiny, vine-covered cafes and restaurants, a short walk from the Santa Chiara. I had veal in an olive sauce which was flavorful and delicious.

We had another good dinner outdoors at another nearby place called Montevecchio, on a tiny, pretty piazza. I had a lamb carpaccio (OK) and couscous (delicious), followed by a pasta in rabbit sauce which was very good.

Not near Santa Chiara, but if you need a lunch stop before or after the Vatican, there is a good little place nearby called Hostaria dei Bastioni, just a couple of blocks from the entrance to the Vatican. Highly recommend the spaghetti al amatriciana.

Wish I could remember the names of all the great gelato places, but they are all over the place & I'm sure you'll find your own favorites.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:55 AM
mike

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:43 PM
ttt