Search

Restaurants near Fulham Road/South Kensington

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants near Fulham Road/South Kensington

Hello-
My family and I have rented a vacation flat near Fulham Road in South Kensington for our upcoming vacation March 18-27. I've read guidebook reviews of restaurants in the area, but I'd also like opinions from 'real people'. We are hoping to expose our 11 year old son to a wide variety of food, but would also like recommendations on places where he can indulge his 11 year old's palate.
Thank you in advance for your answers!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:24 AM

Fulham Road is a VERY long road; these places could be nearby:
Cafe Lazeez, Brompton Road; good Indian brasserie
Blue Elephant; great Thai, beautiful decor (Fulham Broadway).
La Famiglia, Langton Street (off Kings Rd); has been going for ages, local neighbourhood Italian.
Bluebird, King's Road: big brasserie. My children (age 10/11) liked this. They also like Wagamama (noodles; several branches), Sticky Fingers (burger place owned by Bill Wyman; off Kensington High Street, but it's been a while since we went there) and places like the Rainforest Cafe, but you may have plenty of those at home.
If you want to buy good food to heat up/cook; try the Bluebird again. And if your flat is near Elystan Street, have a look around there; some really nice little (food)shops and restaurants. It's where I used to live, and where I bought my food.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:48 AM

And Nam Long, on Old Brompton Road; has also been there forever, but its a local institution. Good Vietnamese food, but it's also a cocktail bar. There was some incident with Prince William there last year.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

I apologize - I should have been more specific on location. Our flat is actually on Stewart's Grove which runs parallel to Sydney Street (in looking at the map). So anywhere around Sydney Street or Onlslow Place would be within easy walking distance. Thanks for the replies.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:52 AM

Tyr, that's a great area. I lived very close to there. Elystan Street is very nearby; do have a look around there. There are lots of restaurants just around the corner on Fulham; if PJ's is still there, you can take your 11-year old there for a burger. The Kings Road is also very nearby. Our 'local' Italian was Ziani's in Radnor Walk; that was a few years ago, see if it's still there.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Lundum's on Old Brompton Road is a truly wonderful Danish restaurant. Bibendum is in the old Michelin building on Fulham Road and has the post restaurant upstairs and the oyster bar down.

Try looking at Zagat's restaurant guide for London choices in South Ken as well.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 03:02 PM

If the Fulham Tandoori is still there, it's very good and a rather exotic place that your family would enjoy.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 03:20 PM

All of the above! Especially La Famiglia, my second home in LOndon.
There is also a Sainsbury next to the Glouster rd tube station, or grab a quick sandwich at Cafe Nero on Old Brompton Rd, Dino's across from GRd tube is good for pizzas or they have a nicer restaurant above then, La sala Romana, enter around the corner.

There is also a good sandwich place a few doors down from Christie's on Old brompton Rd. Or if they are sdventuresome, try the mussels at the pub on the corner of OBRd and Onslow Gardens.

Also a nice crepe place on The King's RD.., it should be just as you enter King's Rd from your street, a bit to the right..sorry I can't remember the name.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Il Falconiere at 84 Old Brompton Road for delicious Italian food.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the replies! I am printing this thread and taking it with me.