Restaurants in Wien & Nuernberg

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Wien & Nuernberg

Appreciate recommendations for Local cuisine in above cities. Not "gourmet"! We will stay for 2 nights in old town/center in both in December. Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Suggest you do a search for Vienna Restaurants here on Fodor's as this topic has been addressed many times and will provide you with much information.

My own recommendation for Vienna would be the Griechenbeisl which is next to a very lovely Greek Church. The food is quite good, although it is not a "budget" restaurant. Take a look at their website for further info:

http://www.griechenbeisl.at/lang_en/page.asp/974.htm
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Here are a couple recommendations for Nuremberg:

Aecht Schlenterla - (I think that is the correct spelling) right across from the castle. We sat outside and had a nice view of the castle and the square in front. The rauchbeir we had there was our favorite beer of the trip. Food was tastey too.

Lucas Café - this place has a patio overlooking the river that runs through the altstadt. Very pretty. We sat at a table right next to the railing so we had a terrific view. The food was very good - I had grilled pork medalians with herbed butter and a baked potato - and a few glasses of a nice Pinot Grigio.

I don't remember exactly how much the food was, but it was very reasonable. Our food, drink, and sightseeing budget for 2 adults was 100 euros per day and we did fine.

Both restaurants had indoor seating as well - we were there in July during the heatwave, so we sat outside as often as we could
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Griechenbeisl is famous, but it is really touristy. It is also pricey for what you get.

I can highly recommend two restaurants, that meet your needs (two in which I always eat when I am in Vienna).

The first is Spatzennest on Ulrichsplatz (Wien VII/7th District). It is just two bus stops from the U3/Volkstheater. Actually, it is a 5 or six minute walk from there --- at the most. This is a very traditional Viennese neighborhood restaurant. Prices are very moderate. The kitchen will never disappoint you. They don't know how to. It has been written up in Fodors (http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...erty_id=161707). Tourists don't find this gem of a restaurant. You'll be glad you did.

The second restaurant is a must for your visit. It is Restaurant Stöger on Ramperstorffergasse, just a 3 minute walk from the U4/Pilgimgasse-Ramperstorffergasse stop. This is in Wien V (5th District). They have a good web site at http://www.stoegerrestaurant.at/.

Kurt Stöger is the owner and chef, and Ernst and Franz have been serving there for 20 years or more. Now, that tells you something, doesn't it! It is the very, very best of Austrian cuisine, traditional service, friendly atmosphere, and still moderate prices for what you get (it is a bit more expensive than Spatzennest, but it is well worth it!). They have their regular menu, and then they also have a fabulous menu of the week with whatever is freshest and true to the season of the year. Few tourists find this fabulous restaurant, also.

In all honesty, Restaurant Stöger is one of my 3 favorite restaurants in the world. Viennese, who know excellent cuisine, service, and atmosphere, but not at outlandish prices, eat here. You might want to make a reservation, as they are usually full. Order some nice wine and get ready to while away two or three hours in what must be heaven.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:30 PM

When I lived in Vienna, I always took friends and family who visited to the Griechenbeisl because it is long on charm and the food, IMHO, was quite good. Everyone enjoyed it. It may be touristy, but it's also steeped in history as you can read on their website.

Another favorite of mine and others is the Cafe Central maybe for a light lunch or some pastry and coffee in the afternoon. The building is absolutely gorgeous. (It is located in the Palais Ferstel.) I believe you can find some info on the web but doing a google search for "Cafe Central Vienna".

There are many good restaurants in Vienna which you'll discover when you do that search I was telling you about on Fodor's.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Our favorite Vienna restaurant is ZU DEN DREI HACKEN Singerstrasse 28. Ph: 512 58 95. We have eaten there every time we have visited the city. It is not far from the Stephansdom.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM

I really like Immervoll at 17 Weihburggasse. Good location in the center, up a couple of blocks from the Kaiserin Elisabeth Hotel. I had the very best "Moor im Hemd" (that's a Moor in a shirt, chocolate pudding with a cream topping) at Immervoll. Their version was more of a slumped chocolate cake, afloat on an ocean of schlag.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Also stop in at Julius Meinl for either a meal or just a pastry and coffee.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Oops, that's Julius Meinl in Vienna.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Our favorite restaurant in Nuremberg is Heilig Geist, located in a beautiful historic building in the old town. Lots of atmosphere, good food, not stuffy (casual dress is fine), moderate prices. I don't know if reservations are mandatory, but probably a good idea.
Heilig Geist-Spital
Spitalgasse 16
Phone 0911/22-17-61
Prices Main courses 7.20€-20€
Credit Cards AE, MC, V

Vienna abounds in good restaurants, lots of fun choices there. My favorite inexpensive (to moderate) restaurant is Hotel Riviera, which is not in a hotel at all. Set in a tiny street behind St. Stephan's cathedral. Serves a mix of Italian, Baltic and Austrian cuisine. Cash only. Reservations advised. Menu online at www.lametta.com Very nice service, warm atmosphere, not touristy.
One restaurant we found slightly disappointing was Glacis Beisl in the museum quarter. A modern beisl. Not bad, just didn't seem to hit the mark. It was very popular a year or so ago, don't know how it's doing now.
I'm ashamed to say I still haven't made it to the Cafe Landtmann, but it's definitely on my list for the next trip. Across from the Rathaus (or almost), so would be fun to go there before or after hitting the Christmas market.
By the way, we will be in Vienna in December as well, perhaps a Fodorite GTG might be possible...?
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM

I second betty's recommendation for Cafe Central. Its worth a visit just to see inside this beautiful cafe, but the pastries and coffee were excellent.

We ate at a wonderful restaurant in Nuremburg, but for the life of me I can't recall the name of it so I can't be of much help here.

Tracy
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody for the recommendations! We will be staying in Pension Pertschy very near St. Stephans in Wien so will try to eat in city center. Has anyone eaten in Figlmueller Restaurant? Sounds good on web.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Go to my links page: http://tinyurl.com/fp27a
All of the restaurants listed are ones we have eaten at and so can personally recommend them. All are great local fare and are well within a budget. Enjoy Wien!