Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   restaurants in Warsaw/Krakow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurants-in-warsaw-krakow-283835/)

travelbug Jan 31st, 2003 05:41 AM

restaurants in Warsaw/Krakow

Any recommendations for restaurants in Warsaw/Krakow? I am especially interested in restaurants with Polish specialities and "pretty" decor. Please include info on prices.

ben_haines_london Jan 31st, 2003 06:18 AM

The on-line guide http://www.inyourpocket.com gives a good annotated list of Crakow restaurants, and I think a list for Warsaw too.<BR><BR><BR>[email protected]

ben_haines_london Jan 31st, 2003 07:28 AM

The on-line guide http://www.inyourpocket.com gives a good annotated list of Crakow restaurants, and I think a list for Warsaw too.<BR><BR><BR>[email protected]

kathleen Jan 31st, 2003 07:57 AM

<BR>Here's another good website for restaurants in Krakow.<BR><BR>http://www.fema.krakow.pl/~restaura/index_e.htm

ben_haines_london Jan 31st, 2003 09:08 AM

Christina Jan 31st, 2003 12:27 PM

One of my favorite dinners in Krakow was in restaurant Hawelka which is right on the main square (34 Rynek Glowny). I think it is considered one of the best restaurants in town, and is very historical with a pretty interior and wonderful Old World service, and Polish specialties as well as continental cuisine. I ate on the ground floor which is not as expensive or ritsy as the main upper restaurant, but that was fine with me and it was just wonderful. Any Polish restaurant is very reasonable so it's a good place to splurge when dining -- I think I spent about US$20 there for everything, including wine. At another French restaurant, I think a complete filet mignon dinner with wine and desert was only about US$20, also. I also used In Your Pocket (pick in up when you get there at a newstand) for very good reviews of all kinds of restaurants.

lisabeth Jan 31st, 2003 02:17 PM

I was in Krakow in 2001 and had a wonderful meal at Cirino de Bergerac's. I know you asked for Polish and I'm giving you French, but it's absolutely worth it if you have the chance. It rivaled any restaurant I visited in France immediately before Poland. If you go, don't miss the toasted goat cheese salad -- I believe the cheese is the region's specialty. Dessert was fabulous, as was the service. Unique &amp; lovely space.

Travelnick Jan 31st, 2003 03:44 PM

Warsaw - old city square has a couple of expensive restaurants under common ownership with very nice decors - just look around and pick the one you like the look of. I have eaten there about 3 times over the years - some ordinary stuff, some very good. For big budget - Belvedere in Lacienki Park - in a palm house with tables surrounded by tropical vegetation - super romantic as each table is pretty much cut off from others. But I understand that in the past 3 years it has become expensive enough to be really an expat expense account restautant. Very nice restaurant in the park opposite the Sofitel Hotel - on the opposite side of the park from the road on which Sofitel lies, sorry cannot remember name, but easy to find if you head to that side of park. Also nice restaurant next to National Theatre opposite a couple of night club/trendy bars - Zanzibar?/Babylon I think are the bar names - very well known little area though. Sorry not much good on the names, but pretty easy areas to check out.

julies Feb 6th, 2003 03:12 PM

I enthusiastically second Christina's recommendation of the Hawelka. We ate there 2 nights in a row because we figured why go anywhere else when we'd found something delicious. I'll never forget the marvelous mushroom pancake appetizer I had both nights. It was cheap but way more upscale than we usually go. My husband and college age daughter were with me. Our main courses arrived carried by 3 waiters bearing covered dishes with linen napkins draped over their arms. We had 3 main courses, appetizers, wine, and split a dessert for around $35 (this was 4 years ago). We've made 4 trips to Europe since and this restaurant still stands out in my mind.

Patrick Feb 6th, 2003 03:25 PM

In Krakow we loved Chlopskie Jadlo (spelling?). We sat in an old sleigh amidst a rustic interior filled with farm implements. We had herring in mushrooms, pork cutlets with fried potatoes and garlic in sour cream, grilled wild boar with cranberries and desserts. The total price was less than $30 US. If the food doesn't clog your arteries quite enough, you can slather on the big container of what appeared to be bacon grease for the bread. Musicians stroll around from time to time. It is, of course, very touristy, but good and a lot of fun.<BR>Also had a wonderful dinner at Hewelka as the others have mentioned. Also a casual but good dinner on the square outside at Wierzynek. <BR><BR>In Warsaw, we enjoyed dinner on the square but in the cellar at Gessler's, and also at Fukier, also on the square.

rex Feb 7th, 2003 04:12 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for Silesia? (Wroclaw or Katowice or Czestochowa)? I have a spearate thread on this, but if you know any other resources, i would appreciate the help.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance...<BR><BR>and...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>

rex Feb 9th, 2003 09:52 PM

I was slow on the uptake on the website www.inyourpocket.com Ben - - didn't help me much with Wroclaw - - though ther is a little overview page that will get my family more enthused.<BR><BR>But very, very good for Prague, it seems - - especially restaurants, and clubs (mostly what to avoid!)<BR><BR>Many thanks...<BR>

travelbug Feb 23rd, 2003 04:14 AM

Ben and others: thanks so much for your responses. The inyourpocket web site is great! I'll be sure to try Hawelka as well as some of the others recommended.

Nigel99 Mar 26th, 2003 08:59 AM

Last weekend on a visit to Warsaw with my wife we ate a wonderful Sunday lunch at &quot;Restauracja Dom Polski&quot;. All the guide books rate it most highly and I can only agree. It is rated as &quot;expensive&quot; although the set Sunday meal, 4 courses, was 49PLN (about $12). Service is impeccable, food is Polish and beautifully prepared and presented, and on our visit they had a string quartet playing the classics. The staff speak perfect English. Oh, and they have a very nice website. Check out www.restauracjadompolski.pl.

rwpawelek Mar 26th, 2003 10:34 AM

Rex,<BR>A few thoughts on Silesian dining: <BR><BR> - Many roadside eateries have open-sided tenting, with red/white checkered table cloths and cheap plastic chairs They are kind of like milkbars for motorists. Be adventurous. Order the flaczki.<BR><BR> - Wroclaw: Nice city, easy to get around. Plenty of choices. There's a market hall near the rynek (square) for picnic groceries. Belle Epoque on the rynek is a bit pricey, but fabulous seafood - try the Caribbean style stuffed crab or sole in champagne.<BR>Of course the farther you venture from the rynek, the cheaper the eating gets.<BR><BR> - Brzeg: Interesting place, especially on autumn evenings when ravens descend upon the town park by the thousands. Caution - the Hotel Piast has an extremely limited menu (and thin walls). For eating, you're probably better off at the meat market across the street, a stone's throw from the open-air market. For lodging, you're better off in the park.<BR><BR> - Jelenia Gora: Keep this beautiful town our secret. The Smok restaurant on the rynek has great &quot;flaming trout&quot;.<BR><BR> - Czestochowa: the grand avenue to Jasna Gora has many choices. Kluski slask is a potato dumpling. Gnocci can't compare! <BR><BR> - Don't leave Silesia without trying hot wine peppered with cinnamon, rather like cider with a kick.

rex Mar 26th, 2003 11:59 AM

Thank you very much - - of course, you are compounding our problem of &quot;idea overload&quot; - - but... oh well...<BR>

sobieski Apr 13th, 2003 07:13 AM

In Wroclaw there used to be a restaurant called &quot;KDM&quot; years ago, a last remnant from communist times, with typical Polish (wellprepared food at veyr low prices, including Stalinist waiters. Don't know if it still exists but it was an experience. It was on a small square between Rynek and Dworzec Glowny