Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Tuscany - vegetarian & fish

Apr 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

My husband & I are planning a trip to Tuscany in September. We are mainly vegetarian but we occasionally eat fish or seafood. I'm reading the Fodor's Florence, Tuscany & Umbria book and note that almost all of the restaurants listed for Florence rave about the meat dishes as a second course. We are concerned that there is no mention of fish - I presume it would be available but would like some confirmation. Can anyone recommend any vegetarian of fish/seafood restaurants in Florence and Tuscany. Thanks!!!
Apr 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM

You won't find too much fish in Tuscany - even though it's on the coast. Where will you be staying? Our closest friends live in the Val d'Orcia, and they've scoped out the few restaurants that serve fish (some only on certain days of the week). I'll e-mail them if you'll be near San Quirico (Pienza, Montalcino, Bonoconvento).

Stu Dudley
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM

Hi Stu - My husband and I will be in Italy next month, and are planning to spend 2-3 days in Montalcino -- so would love to hear any recommendations from your friends on restaurants with options other than red meat.
Apr 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM

Yes, and I don't eat meat-my favorite restaurant in Florence, where my friends and I would go frequently-with the Duomo yards in front of you, as you eat out on the tiny terrace-Il SASSO DI DANTE-wonderful house-made pastas, large salads, there is some meat, some fish, but they have a decided vegetarian bent-I've never forgotten this artichoke in filo that they did one night several years ago-scrumptious. Their menu changes daily, and all house-made desserts-the interior part of this restaurant is tiny, but you'd want to sit outside for the view anyway. Dante supposedly once lived in this ancient building, hence the name, (but a number of places in Florence claim Dante lived there, so that's no big thing in Florence)

If you stand in front of the Duomo, then go around to the right to almost the end, and then turn right onto a small piazza-you should see the little terrace and the awning with the name-beautiful at night with the Duomo lit up. Highly recommended, but difficult to get into on weekends, as it is quite popular with the Florentines, and those tourists who just happen on it.

Another more expensive restaurant but EXCELLENT fresh seafood-the freshest, and very good service-AI QUATTRO AMICI-I ate here for the very time last August, and was very pleased. They have a tiny outdoor terrace, (but no view-it's always nice to dine al fresco) where you'd want to be seated. Freshest mussels, clams, shrimp-they would have daily specials. It's very near SMN train station (there are some excellent restaurants and gelateria in and around Piazza SMN, btw) on Via Orti Oricellari. Definitely not to be missed if you are a fish eater in Florence.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:42 AM

From our friends in San Quirico
I Poggioli in Buonconvento. 0577-80-65-46. closed Monday.

In Pienza, Dal Falco -0578-74-85-51 has fish on Wednesday. closed Fri.

Poggio Antico (Montalcino - high end) offers fish. closed Monday and Sun. night

our pizza place in San Quirico, Le Contrade offers fish Friday and Saturday, (though you have to ask for the fish menu!) - 0577-89.80.98

In SQ on SS 2, Ristorante Il Garibaldi offers very good fish, only the restaurant is part of the gas station and the atmosphere is minus zero.

And of course, out on the coast lots of seafood offered.

Stu Dudley
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM

Il Guscio in Florence (I liked it so much I ate here twice in a few days last year) has some excellent fish dishes on the menu. (see my trip report for details on our meals there).

Also in Florence, Cafaggi in the centro storico on Via Guelfa 35r, specializes in fish; I have read good reports but have not eaten there.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:30 AM

If you will be driving, there is a great restaurant just south of Greve in Chianti that serves vegetarian food. My wife is vegetarian and loved it. It is called Lamole. As you drive south out of Greve, look for the road to Lamole on your left. It'a a small sign. Once you are on the road up into the hills toward Lamole, just keep going, you will not miss it. We went back twice while we were there, and so did some other travellers we met there.

Another real good Restaurant is on the grounds of Castello Brolio which is south of Radda in Chianti past Gaiole (sp?). There is the Ricasoli Wine estate at the bottom of the hill. If you enter the castle road and go about halfway up the hill, the restaurant is on the right. The chef is Seamus O'Kelly! Great food.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM

rmw555,
La Crocina has shrimp or fish options most every night. It is in the village of La Croce about 3 kilometers south of Montalcino on the road to Sant'Antimo. Closed Monday it has very good food at reasonable prices.
Feel free to e-mail if you have other questions on the area. I spend a lot of time there.

Henry
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the recommendation, Girlspytravel. We're looking for a veggie restaurant in Florence & Il Sasso Di Dante sounds perfect!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM

Bobby-it is one of my very favorite places to eat in all of Italy, because it's so tiny, the food is so good,(limited menu) it has that wonderful view, and because the staff are so friendly there. I went back this past August for the first time in a number of years, and it brought back many good memories.