Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurants in Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurants-in-tuscany-48708/)

Derek Jul 15th, 1999 04:41 PM

Restaurants in Tuscany

Next September I shall be spending one week on a farm near Vinci in northern Tuscany, and a second near Mercatale in southern Tuscany. Can anyone recommmend restaurants in these areas? We are interested in food quality and good ambience, not pretensious service. Some idea of prices would also be welcome. <BR> <BR>Thanks, Derek Gellman.

Beth Jul 16th, 1999 07:00 AM

Derek, check out the recent hosted forum on Tuscany. I asked that very question and got a couple of nice recommendations.

Derek Jul 16th, 1999 09:04 PM

Beth: Thanks!

Dennis Jul 20th, 1999 07:46 PM

My favorite restaurant in Tuscany was in Siena. Don't know if you will be near there but if you are it is called Cane e Gatto (Dog and Cat). A small ten-table restaurant, with no menu. Paolo and his wife Sonia prepare what they want for the night and it is all delicious. Unpretentious but a wonderful experience. Complete meal, expect to spend around 3 hours, with great conversation with Paolo, good wine, gourmet food. About $50 per person. A very special place. Make a reservation. E-mail me if you want more info. <BR>

RJD Jul 21st, 1999 08:27 AM

Just came back from a week of eating well in Tuscany. Our favorite resturants, both from the Michelin, are the Dorando in San Giminiano, and the Botegga del Moro in Greve in Chianti. At the Dorando we suggest the Papradella with Duck and Artichokes. You will be very happy.

john Jul 22nd, 1999 02:50 AM

Derek, There is a very good rest. in Radda..Ristorante Vignale, Radda is very small but beautiful! I would also suggest going to Volpaia very very quaint and there is a small rest there. Papa makes his own salami... <BR> <BR>Volpaia is just above Radda..stop by Badia thats were Lorenza Di Medichi has a cooking school, I think there is a rest. there.....john

Maggie Jul 22nd, 1999 08:43 AM

I agree with previous poster on Ristorante Vignale in Radda. We stumbled onto it on our first Italy trip about six years ago and when we returned this past spring we made a point of going back. Fabulous food, a lovely room and superb wait staff. would go back today if I could!!!!

laura Jul 22nd, 1999 09:21 AM

Another vote for Vignale. It was excellent. The best lamb I have ever tasted. Wonderful service. Also, I would recommend Osteria alla Piazza in La Piazza near Castellina in Chianti. The food here was amazing. Reservations are required. <BR>

Derek Aug 7th, 1999 08:23 PM

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. I am off in 3 weeks and will sample as many as I can.

karie Aug 8th, 1999 02:32 AM

There is an amazing restaurant in the middle of nowhere outside Lucca. Sorry I don't have the name of it right here...maybe you saw it reviewed in a recent issue of Esquire. A friend ate there recently and raved about it...five-star but friendly family-owned. Five-hour meal kind of place with five wines. (sorry about the vagueness!) San Gimignano: Chiri-Biri, a small tratorria in P. de la Madonna for lunch. Bel Soggorno for dinner overlooking the valley...try the Carpaccio caldo. Bottego del Moro in Greve was pretty good...small and quiet.

Steve the Guide Aug 8th, 1999 05:48 AM

When you are in Vinci, don't miss to go to visit the "Villa di Artimino" and eating in the "Paggeria Medicea" next to that Medicea old nice Villa. <BR>Excelent food and beautiful view!Ciao <BR>

Beth Aug 9th, 1999 04:57 AM

bringing it up for Jim