Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in the Ile de St Louis area of Paris

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 12:58 PM
mike

Does anyone have suggestions for small restaurants with great food in the Ile de St Louis area (near Notre Dame)?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Nancy

Had a very nice dinner at Auberge de la Reine Blanche. It's a few blocks down the main street on Ile St Louis.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:04 AM
alex

Try L'Orangerie, 28 rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile and Montecristo, 82 same street (the main drag). First is upscale continental; second, more midscale Italien. Both have ambience to burn. Many others on the island. You may wish to see: http://ilestlouis.away.fr/index2.html for a preview of the island.
As you likely know, the island is in the middle of the river, only a few blocks long. If you cross its bridges there is a wide range of first rate restaurants a stroll away. La Tour d'Argent is just to the south in the 5th. Le Viex Bistro just to the west next to Notre Dame. there are numerous good restaurants north in the Marais.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Linda

On our last trip to Paris we passed a restaurant on the Ille de St Louis that was on a corner and had the most fantastical flower arrangements on the tables and whimsy things in the windows (cow art etc.). I don't know the name but would love to know if anyone has actually eaten there. It looked like a wonderful atmosphere?
Anyone know of it?
Thanks.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 12:53 PM
MaryC

Sure ~ Nos Ancetres les Galois

For $30 you get crudites basket, self-serve buffet, choice of grilled meat, veggies, cheese platter, dessert and all the wine you can drink all in a really cool atmosphere.

Address: 39, rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile
Telephone: 01 46 33 66 07

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Mike

L'Orangerie was great. I would surely try it. The island is not inexpensive. L'Orangerie is an outstanding example of excellent French chow IMO no matter the cost. Other excellent spots on the left bank not more than 10 min. from the island at far less money. M.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:19 PM
dick

le tastevin on rue st louis is wonderful..as is montecristo. latter is cheaper tho. for a really special treat cross the bridge to the left bank and go to les bookinistres on quay augustine..it is a "second" of guy savoy so you get class and beautiful food for less than his michelin-starred place.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Amy

I second the nomination for Nos Ancetres les Galois, and add Taverne de Sergeant Recruiter (same concept as Nos Ancestres), La Castafiore and Au Gourmet de L'isle to the list as well, both on rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile (or they were in 2000 when I was last there).

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:55 PM
kate

La Vache is the restaurant with the "Cow Art"It is at 35 rue St Louis en Ille.
I enjoyed the Orangerie and La Castifiore.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Sue

I ate at Auberge de la Reine Blanche on St. Louis en L'Isle several yrs. ago; inquired about it few wks ago on here, and seems that it has the same good, homestyle French cooking that made it popular since it's start in 1987. Plan to go there mid May myself!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Lisa

Just off the Rue de Ecoles is Chez Henri. (Blast, I can't remember the address! Turn toward the Seine not far from the Hotel St. Germain) — My husband nearly cried because the duck was so good there.

Lisa

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:22 AM
MaryC

Yeah, Amy! Leslie Strauss gave me a recommendation for the Taverne de Sergeant Recruiter! They're actually next door to each other ~ pretty cool!!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:14 AM
x

Le Sergent Recruteur (no "Taverne"), 41 rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile is next to Nos Ancetres les Gaulois, #39.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:42 AM
JOdy

glad to hear Reine Blanche is still there! Had a lovely meal and Madame gave us one of our funniest memeories of our whole trip! will put it on list for October!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Amy

Might I suggest also looking at www.eatinparis.com and pick the 4eme arrondissement which is where Ile St. Louis is. There, you will find La Taverne du Sergeant Recruiter (with the "Taverne", as it is listed in many guidebooks) and others. If I were to go back tomorrow, my first meal there would be Castafiore! I hope it's still there!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:04 PM
mike

Castafiore is still there. I had lunch there last week and the sauce on the ravioli was as good as any I've had in Italy. I was warned not to have dinner there though. Usually ate dinner at L'Orangerie or just walked over to the left bank and ate for about 30% less. Although I'd rank the sauces at L'Orangerie as some of the best in the world (at least in my travels). M.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:42 PM
susan

I strongly second the above writer who suggests "Le Tastevin"- I first ate there a few yrs ago on my last nite in Paris (alone) and was treated wondrefully by the solicitous but professional owner/ wife. The food was very well prepared traditional w/ special twists. The interior is lit atmospherically w/ candles; very old fashioned tile floor, exposed beams. But absolutely genuine and unpretentious. I ate there again last yr. w/ a friend and they found a spot for us w/out reservations! The locals eat there for a special nite out.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:26 AM
x

both pagesjeune.fr (where the establishment is presumed to know its own name) and the official website of the island list the establishment at 41 rue s-l-en-l'ile as "Le Sergent Recruteur"-no "Taverne". what's the point of carrying forward a misnomer from an unofficial source and getting defensive about it?

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just back from 12 days staying on Isle Saint Louis (ahhhhh!!!!!)....

Le Fin Gourmet is the new name for Au Gourmet de l'Isle. It is moderate in price, small and personal, and has very good food.

I did not enjoy Castifiore--the food being no better than a US chain like Macaroni Grill in my humble opinion. Castifiore was the only disappointing meal I had in Paris.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Author: x
Date: 05/01/2002, 05:26 am

both pagesjeune.fr (where the establishment is presumed to know its own name) and the official website of the island list the establishment at 41 rue s-l-en-l'ile as "Le Sergent Recruteur"-no "Taverne". what's the point of carrying forward a misnomer from an unofficial source and getting defensive about it?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Whoa. I suggest you go back to Pages Jeunes and actually look at the pictures for #39 and you'll clearly see the first part of the name of the restaurant in giant letters -- It clearly shows "LA TAVE. . . ." and then is cut off. So if the owners do know their own name, I'd think the money they spent on the sign in front of it would be the right one and clearly starts off with La Taverne". OK?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -