Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurants in the 15th / 7th (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurants-in-the-15th-7th-346175/)

Celiaanne Apr 19th, 2008 07:36 AM

Restaurants in the 15th / 7th

Hi, We are in our apartment on Rue de la Croix Nivert and are looking for places to eat! If you know of any within walking distance or even a shortish metro ride (Lines 6, 8 & 10 are nearby), I would really appreciate your input.

We have been to Cafe Constant (Rue Dominique -- farther than I thought but really enjoyed it and Le Suffren -- pretty good too)-- and we are going to try La Villa Corse tonight.

We are not looking for formal restaurants and are definitely not "foodies," but some of the cafes and brasseries are .... not so nice looking -- especially in the day time, so it would be great to get some first-hand recommendations.

ira Apr 19th, 2008 07:46 AM

Hi C,

These have gotten good reviews here:

Chez Eux 2 Av Lowendal
01 47 05 52 55
Mē Ecole Militaire Closed Sun

La Fontaine de Mars
129 Rue St.Dominique,
Tel: 01 47 05 46 44
Mē Ecole Militaire

Le Florimond
19 Ave de la Matte-Picquet
01 45 554 038
Go to Mē Ecole Militaire
About 2 blks NE 30E pp

Le Petit Troquet
28 r Exposition
01 47 05 80 39
Mē Ecole Militaire
Off Rue de Grenelle

((I))

djkbooks Apr 19th, 2008 07:57 AM

There are some wonderful places within walking distance.

Je Thé...Me, 4 Rue d'Alleray

Le Chaumiere, 54 Avenue Félix Faure

L'Os à Moelle, 54 Avenue Félix Faure

One of our favorites, Le Tournesol, is across the river at 2 Avenue de Lamballe

djkbooks Apr 19th, 2008 07:59 AM

Oops, L'Os à Moelle,3 Rue Vasco de Gama

Maribel Apr 19th, 2008 09:05 AM

Another real winner on Vasco-de-Gama-very cute little bistro, not formal, with especially good food and chef owned:

Le Beurre Noisette,
68 rue Vasca-de-Gama

(metro: Lourmel or Porte-de-Versailles)

Closed Sun./Mon.
phone: 01 48 56 82 49

Prix fixe lunches for €18 and €22
Prix fixe dinner for €32

Celiaanne Apr 19th, 2008 09:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. We are definitely going to try Le Petit Troquet, as I've seen good reviews too and some of the others.

Keep them coming! We have 11 more days.

BTilke Apr 19th, 2008 09:44 AM

I don't care for Le Suffren as much as I used to...I think it's gone a bit downhill in the last couple of years.

I enjoyed Je Thé Me when I was there in December '07. Very nice service, I was there on a quiet night, so we had a long chat about their cooking, their wine choices, etc. The food was tasty and definitely good value for money even if it wasn't one of my favorite meals in Paris.

One of my favorites in the Auteuil neighborhood of the 16th is Terrasse Mirabeau. Off the tourist path, most of its customers are residents of this pleasant, well-heeled neighborhood.
http://www.terrasse-mirabeau.com/

Very well regarded, a sample review:
Une endroit aussi agréable que beau, au décor classe et raffiné (moquette épaisse, et toiles modernes aux murs, tables aux lignes épurées et couleurs aux tonalités actuelles).
Une cuisine sublime : le chef travaille les produits de saison avec un savoir faire exquis. On redécouvre une cuisine de terroirs et fine, des plats de grand-mères popottés comme on en mangeait lors de nos dimanches d'enfance. Des classiques de la cartes sont à ne pas rater : le terrine, le pâté en croûte, le foie gras maison, le boeuf de l'Aubrac, les noix de Saint Jacques, je risotto aux gambas, le menu truffes en saison, et la sublime tarte au chocolat !
A recommander et en plus le rapport qualité prix pour une si belle adresse c'est à conseiller : 23€ le midi, 38€ pour entrée/plat/dessert. Raisonnable !

(Very easy to get there from the 15th: catch the No. 10 line over to Eglise d'Auteuil and then use the Mirabeau stop on the same line to get back...Mirabeau is a one-way station).

Danna Apr 20th, 2008 09:27 AM

Cave L'Os a Moelle is the small wine bar across the street from L'Os a Moelle. Food is served buffet style and you sit at large tables with other customres. You can buy a bottle of wine and have it with your meal at the same rate as the bottle would be to take home.

There's a good review in Chez Pim's blog.
http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/200...elle_my_s.html

Very good food and great atmosphere.

Judi Apr 20th, 2008 11:06 AM

Hi Celiaanne. I wrote a report mostly about restaurants in the 7th; if you would like, you can check out my report, Reluctant Husband dragged to Paris or click on my name and it is about 28 posts down.

Our apartment was on Rue Dominique so many of the restaurants were in that vicinity.

Have a wonderful time!

Celiaanne Apr 24th, 2008 10:38 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to all again. Judi, I've printed your report. Very helpful!

Celiaanne Apr 25th, 2008 12:57 PM

Just an update: We went to Bistro de Breteuil the other night -- good but it somehow reminded me of "cruise food." BUT, as I said, I'm not a foodie, so I am sure I didn't appreciate the avocado/crab appetizer as much as other would have. My main dish was tasty but the lamb was tough. Price was good (for Paris).

We went to Suffern (?sp). It was OK too.

Went to Le Florimond tonight. GREAT. As many others have said -- very friendly and didn't seem to mind explaning the menu (over and over) to all the English speakers.

My husband and I both had the lobster ravioli, and he had a "special" of veal with vegs in a gorgonzola (I think) sauce, and I had the stuffed cabbage.

We are hoping to get to some others before we leave on Wednesday.

Thanks for all the tips -- appreciate them.

Michel_Paris Apr 25th, 2008 01:09 PM

I liked Bistrot de la 7ieme, short walk from Latour Maubourg metro. Classic french food, not too expensive, busy place, mix of locals and toruists.

smrt2 Apr 25th, 2008 03:29 PM

From my trip report, Spring 2006, both in the 7th:

That evening, we had dinner at La Petite Chaise (36, rue de Grenelle) which is a little bistro we discovered on our last trip. They bill themselves as the oldest restaurant in Paris, founded in 1680 and serve typical, traditional cuisine in a cozy atmosphere on the border of the 6eme and 7eme near rue de Bac. La Petite Chaise is not necessarily spectacular, but I think of it as a nice, typical bistro, serving simple and good food. Their 3-course menu is 29 euros. Our choices were escargot, duck w/strawberry honey, asparagus, steak frites, berry charlotte, and gateau chocolat. Yum!

After freshening up, we went to Josephine “Chez Dumonet” (117 rue de Cherche-Midi) for dinner. We read about this place in Saveur magazine and it was every bit as spectacular as we had read. This tiny bistro of a dozen tables is cozy, casual, with good service and outstanding traditional food. I imagine Josephine in the kitchen, cooking for the sheer joy she gets from serving wonderful food. Be warned that the main dishes are offered in two sizes; grande and demi with the grande size meant to be shared and the demi size intended to be one portion. We were a little confused by the concept but quickly figured it out by asking the waiter what size meals the table next to us had ordered and we were relieved that the gigantic portions we saw were the grande version. We had amazing foie gras, pate, cassoulet, boeuf Bourgogne, cream brulee, and a made to order mille feuille. This was a meal to remember and with a half bottle of wine was 130 euro.

artlover Apr 25th, 2008 04:41 PM

Can't say enough great things about
Fables de la Fontaine
131 Rue St. Dominique
We couldn't even get dinner reservatins there but went for a late lunch and it was amazing!

Also liked
L'Auberge Bressane
16 Avenue de la Monte Piquet