Reload this Page >

A Little Bit of Portugal...Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Amy

Ocean crashing against the cliffs; moss covered monastery in the fog; exhilarating wind and views at the Moors' Castle; Serra cheese and olive oil and luscious ripe tomatoes with fresh bread for lunch; friendly, fun Lisboa: I loved Portugal! <BR>I spent two weeks in an apartment in old town Sintra, a 45 minute train ride to Lisbon (after an incredible flower filled 10 minute walk to the train station). I used public transportation to get around. The town has a reasonable tourist crowd by day, but at night it's peaceful, lovely, and cool. I concentrated on just the area around Sintra, going as far as the medieval town of Obidos in the north and down to Lisbon south, with a three day weekend trip to incredible Madeira thrown in for good measure. I booked Madeira after I got to Sintra; the wonderful lady at the travel agency spoke enough English to make it work, as my Portuguese is a bit limited! <BR>Highlights of the trip included a clear day at Cabo da Roca, the westernmost point of Europe, with a great walk along the cliffs; the mountains of Sintra with Pena Palace, Castelho do Mouros, and San Pedro market; the Manueline extravagance of the Monasterio de Jeronimos in Lisbon, and hiking the levadas of Madeira. <BR>"Highlights" that were less concrete but very, very important include the friendliness and helpfulness of so many Portuguese people, the lack of crowds, and my kind of weather: 70's and sunny! <BR>I'll be glad to try to answer any questions. (I'm ready to go back!)

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:28 PM
mark

A perfect report Amy - concise and direct. <BR>Sounds like you had a wonderful and relaxing time. <BR> <BR>Your brief, not too detailed report is a far more effective than others posters who have to go into exhausting deatil about numerous details - brava. <BR> <BR>I'm considering Lisbon for winter.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Annette

I hope to go to Portugal someday. Were you impressed with the ceramic azulejo tile displays on public buildings and did you see any particular ones which stand out in you mind?

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Amy

The tiles in the Mafra palace/monastery, in the Sintra national palace, and in the churches of Obidos were standouts, but there are many beautiful examples everywhere, including street signs and house facades. Many of the churches have tile altars and even walls; supposedly, the style started in poor churches and spread to the wealthy ones! <BR>P.S. Mark, thank you.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Marlena

I just got back from Portugal too, and while I haven't had the time for a trip report, thought you might like to peek at the photos: <BR>http://www.shutterfly.com/my/osi.jsp...21b315e6818469 <BR> <BR>I highly recommend Portugal: great people, sightseeing and culture! <BR> <BR>Marlena

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Amy

Topping this for Tom with the Spain and Portugal general questions...<BR>his thread is going into "different directions", so I thought this way might be easier

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Maira

Amy, did you get to Viana do Castelo? Ponte de Lima? Agree with you, Portugal is an absolute gem!

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Tom

Amy,<BR><BR>Thank you so much.<BR><BR>Tom