Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurants in Sloan Square and the Chelsea area (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurants-in-sloan-square-and-the-chelsea-area-411771/)

shanart Mar 16th, 2004 02:02 PM

Restaurants in Sloan Square and the Chelsea area

We will be in London in July. We are staying at Sloan Square Garden Club Ltd. right off the square. I have stayed here before, but We never seemed to find a good restaurant nearby. I have heard they have built something under the square. Does anyone have any information on this? We usually buy groceries from the Safeway and eat at home. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks you so much! Sharon

Underhill Mar 16th, 2004 02:05 PM

On a street leading off the square toward Harrod's is a fabulous food shop called Partridge's. You can get all sorts of wonderful things there for a picnic, including my favorite, York ham.

m_kingdom Mar 16th, 2004 02:09 PM

I've lived in London my entire life, as yet I have never come across "Sloan Square", perchance we mean Sloane Sq.?

Nice to know that you know where you are staying.

Rib Room at nearby Carlton Tower.

curiousgeo Mar 16th, 2004 02:15 PM

The Antelope on Eaton Terrace, just off Sloane Square. A traditional pub serving pretty decent food.

jody Mar 16th, 2004 02:20 PM

m-kingdom..just suck it up !

If you eat at the apt...definitely look into Partridge's or further down King's Rd..try Bluebird..for wonderful prepared foods or groceries. There is a M&S on King's Rd with lots of prepared goodies..or Harrod's

If you are into a 20 minutes or so walk, try La Famiglia on Langton Place

uhoh_busted Mar 16th, 2004 04:58 PM

a bit of a long walk (it was a gorgeous evening we did it) but we LOVED "pelicano" 19-21 Elystan Street, London SW3 3NT (phone)020 7589 3718
This restaurant provided us with the very BEST meal we had in London. They specialize in Sicilian cuisine, and everything we had was top notch, including a wine from Campania that was simply extraordinary. This place is very classy -- clientele was international and casually but nicely dressed. It was chic but friendly at the same time. Service was charming!

Diagonally across from the Moat House Hotel on the "Sq" was a little bistro named Oriel. Open, it seemed, whenever you needed it, our first night we popped in after returning from the concert at St. Martin's in the Field. There are tables out front, and a very sociable bar inside, as well as several dining areas. We ate inside (maybe even in the smoking section, however it wasn't a problem) at about 10:30PM the first time. I ordered mussels, Steve had a lamb special, and we also had a side dish of spinach. I probably had a glass of wine, and Steve had two lovely draft ales. It was tasty and hit the spot. And the price was quite reasonable for London. We went back again (at a more normal dinner hour) for our last dinner in London and enjoyed another delightful meal. Their menu is kept fairly short -- and their specials change daily. It seemed to be a good spot for tourists and locals, and I recommend it highly. It is lively, friendly, and the food is good. What more can you ask for?

Scarlett Mar 16th, 2004 06:11 PM

Sorry, what am I missing?
Sq means Square right? It is called Sloan Square?
This site might be helpful.

http://www.pubclub.com/london/pubgrub.htm

shanart Mar 16th, 2004 06:15 PM

I agree, how rude. I certainly hope I don't run into this fine fellow when we go. To everyone else, thanks for the information.

Underhill Mar 16th, 2004 07:46 PM

Rude, yes, but in this case correct: it is SloanE Square, as in Sloane Rangers.

Patrick Mar 16th, 2004 08:18 PM

I see the village idiot who constantly makes typing or spelling errors himself/herself is once again being a complete a--hole by pointing out the outrageous errors of others. The hardest part of reading the m_kingdom posts is trying to remind yourself that this pathetic individual does not represent any other real person in London -- THANK GOD.

My favorite is La Poule au Pot at the corner of Ebury and Pimlico Road. It's wonderful.

Patrick Mar 16th, 2004 08:39 PM

"I've lived in London my entire life, as yet I have never come across "Sloan Square", perchance we mean Sloane Sq.?"

By the way. The above should be three complete sentences (not one) with a period after the word life and another after the strange abbreviation Sq. Aren't blatant grammatical errors as horrible as spelling errors?

MelJ Mar 16th, 2004 08:47 PM

Patrick--you rock!

bramsole Nov 9th, 2013 01:32 PM

I just wonder if the correct pronunciation of Sloan Sq. is Sloan SQQQQaaaahh.

Grindeldoo Nov 10th, 2013 12:47 AM

Only if you call the stuff you breathe "aaaahh"! Pronounce it (after the SQ) the same way as you would "air".

annhig Nov 10th, 2013 12:48 AM

this is an ancient thread.

why resurrect it?

bramsole Nov 17th, 2013 03:43 PM

Because I'm going back next fall.
We stay in the Sloan Garden Apts. when we go to London and we had dinner one night in a fabulous restaurant a few blocks away. I don't remember if the food was Thai, Indian or what. We ate downstairs on cushions around a large table with another family. I don't have anything to remind me of the restaurant so I was hoping someone would post a name that rings a bell.
Thanks

janisj Nov 17th, 2013 03:48 PM

Bramsole: if you are visiting again - then it is better took start your own new thread instead of resurrecting such an old one. Many restaurants operating back on '04 have closed/reopened several times since.

Plus you supposedly only topped it to ask about pronunciation . . .