Timing a river cruise

Old Mar 29th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing a river cruise

We plan to take a Paris to Paris river cruise Sept 18 to Sept 25. Would you recommend planning another week in Paris before or after the cruise? We will be flying in from Los Angeles
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume you have never been to Paris before, is that right? Are you thinking that the river cruise isn't going to give you much of an opportunity to see Paris itself? I think the before or after is really up to you. When we've added cruises to our own land itineraries we have usually saved the cruise until last but that is obviously a personal choice.

Why Paris and not somewhere else?
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:18 PM

Are you asking if you should stay in Paris for a week or if you should do this before the cruise or should do this after the cruise?

Answers: Of course you should stay in Paris for a week. I would do it after the cruise.

Why does it matter where you're flying from? Is this significant?
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't imagine not staying in Paris for an extra week if you have time.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Make a decision soon as you should book a hotel/apartment right now! September is a busy time in Paris.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:29 PM

How long is the cruise, and to where?
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:34 PM

nukesafe - you've forgotten your specs again!

The info is in the first sentence of the OP.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 01:17 AM

I often do forget where I put my specs now-a-days, Adrienne, but Sid does not say where the voyage goes. He says he leaves Paris and returns to Paris. He does not say the route it takes or what stops along the way the vessel will make. I'm curious if it is a jaunt down the Seine to places like Le Havre or Honfleur, which would allow some exploration of towns larger than villages, or up the Seine and other waterways which would only touch very small towns.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd suggest the week in Paris AFTER the cruise. It might be more relaxing that way and if there are others from the cruise who are also staying on in Paris, you could meet up for meals or a day trip etc.

Kay
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 02:02 AM

I also would say after--you'll have yourself oriented to the French life and will be ready to just settle into the Parisian style.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 05:01 AM

Sorry, nukesafe! Now I understand your question. I briefly misplaced my brain but I've found it again!
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 10:35 AM

What a coincidence, Adrienne. If you come across mine while you are looking for yours please drop me a note.

At least age has made me believe in the hereafter. I often find myself in a room muttering to myself, "Now what in hell am I here after!?".
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 05:59 PM

I would say after, as well, and agree with the advice to book accommodations forthwith - and not necessarily with the cruise company as you can usually book the very same hotel for far less and not "per person".

Or, you could plan a few days before and a few days after.
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 06:19 PM

Paris to Paris cruise? So leaving and ending in Paris, right?. Thus you mean down a river to or from Paris such as we did a recent year with Grand Circle on the Seine, La Havre to Paris. As nukesafe says, that would mean exploring villages and such along the way, also such as Monet's Garden at Giverney. Yes, certainly extra days in Paris if time permits.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-the-seine.cfm
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 07:10 PM

Suggest at least one or 2 nights in Paris before cruise, just to recover from flight and also takes stress out of any flight delays etc, we had 24hr delay on flight before cruise last year and just as well we had a day spare, or we would have missed start of cruise. Paris is at least 4 days min, been 4 time and will be back again after cruise this yr for another 3 nights before returning to NZ via LA for a night.
Have fun, enjoy the cruise and Paris
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 08:58 PM

Definitely after the cruise; getting over jet lag is easier on the boat.
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 09:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds very nice!
We spent five days in Paris after a Lyon-to-Lyon cruise on the Rhone/Saone. Wish we had taken another two weeks for Paris!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

I guess I got things off track with too short a question. Let me fill you in. The river cruise is Paris to Paris, north on the Seine. The location it turns around after a stop for the Normandy beaches (by bus). To give you a fuller picture of the travelers. When we saw the newsreels of the Normandy invasion, there was no TV. That’s how we saw what was going on.
I have made tentative plans to go opposite your recommendations, with the thinking that the weather was slightly warmer, less rainy, and the days longer, at the beginning of September. Our cruise is already booked for mid-September. I had not seen your recommendations because I had expected notification of the replies, but had gotten none. I guess I’ll have to rethink again. Does my reasoning affect your recommendations at all?
By the way, the additional time in Paris was never at issue. We have been there before, a couple of time, but not recently, and have been itching to get back. As long as I have your attention, any recommendations about good places to stay. We tend to prefer the simple, homier places, but not at the cost of inconvenience.
Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing from you again.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Since you haven't booked a hotel in Paris, going before or after the cruise would depend on when you can get a hotel in your price range and location. You're getting late to book for September since that's a very busy month.

The end of September is usually warm enough. I've only been in Paris during October once and it was quite warm until the end of October. The gray and drizzling days didn't start until the 3rd week so that's a month after you'll be there. And no one can predict weather - it could be anything, any time.

The lights are so beautiful in Paris that a bit earlier sunset doesn't mean much. The difference is only about a half hour and you'll be eating dinner once it's dark so you'll have a full day of sunlight (hopefully!) for wandering around and sightseeing.

There are so many hotel to choose from. What's your budget. That would be the deciding factor.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 03:55 PM

Yep, SidWlt, sounds like our cruise two years ago. We were bused to LaHavre and then boarded ship. It is a nice relaxing way to enjoy scenery and historic sights and gardens. Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -