Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurants in Naples (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurants-in-naples-685713/)

el344 Mar 7th, 2007 07:02 AM

Restaurants in Naples

Anyone have some suggestions for restaurants in Naples? We'll be there for a Wednesday and a Thursday night later this month.

I've found very few recommendations for restaurants in Naples. I've searched this board, chowhound, and slow travel. There are lots of discussions about pizza and pizza places, but very few actual restaurant reviews.

ekscrunchy Mar 7th, 2007 07:14 AM

I've not been there in many years so cannot recommend specific places although I've heard good things about:

Mimi alla Ferrovia. Near train station.
Osteria Donna Teresa. Vomero.

But have you checked the SlowFood site? In my experience this is the single best written resource for restaurants in Italy.

The site is in Italian but you will have no trouble finding their Naples list.

If you are headed to Pompeii, Il Principe gets amazing reviews; it is within walking distance of the arch site. Expensive; not casual.

ira Mar 7th, 2007 07:31 AM

Hi el,

If you will be near the Archaeological Museum, we very much liked Pizza Bellini on the square of the same name.

It is a full-service resto.

There are also several good places on Piazza Dante.

Have you looked up Naples under "Destinations"?

((I))

ekscrunchy Mar 7th, 2007 08:02 AM

Since you appear to be looking for trattorie and restaurants, I will not go into Naples legendary pizza outposts; there is plenty of info on these on chowhound and on other sites, as you know.

Here are a few of the SlowFood Napoli listings:

Europeo
Osteria Toledo
La Chitarra
Vecchia Cantina

If you are not familiar with SlowFood, their criteria includes the combination of regional cooking and wines for a reasonable price, ie, the best price/quality ratio. I have not often gone wrong with one of their selections and, indeed, have had some of my best meals in Italy when visiting restaurants with the SlowFood snail posted outside (their symbol). (Dinners at two SlowFood recs in Verona top my list of memorable meals..) As I said, they are in Italian only at the moment.

If you want the addreses of the places above, just say, or write, the word...

Girlspytravel Mar 7th, 2007 08:11 AM

I've stated a couple of times on this board and others, one of the finest seafood restaurants I've ever eaten at is just down the street from the Archaeological Museum, on Via Foria, across from the Botanical Gardens-all outdoors, right on the sidewalk-the Neapolitans take numbers to get a table on the weekends-their mussels, in their special sauce, the best I've EVER had, anywhere in the world-and all desserts house-made. It's called A FIGLIA DO MARINARO-all outdoors under a white tent-like canopy-it's an unforgettable experience, not the least for the slice of Neapolitan life that you see there-very few tourists, if any, but no problem, they take credit cards. They were so nice to me, I was waiting for awhile one night on the weekend, and there were no tables, but they actually found a table and set it up for me, (even though there were others who had been waiting longer) which I definitely appreciated! I ate there three times, that's how good it was. (Panna cotta, with the requisite blackberry sauce-eccellante!)

Everyone I talked to in Naples seems to know of it, it's quite famous for its seafood, but because there aren't that many tourists in the area, I think, it has not been cited in any tourist guides that I've seen. I have seen one reference to it on the Virtual Tourist board, by a Neapolitan, of course, but it is a restaurant that you should not miss while in Naples, so take a cab, if you're staying around Posillipo/Chiaia/Plebescito area, to get to it.

TravMimi Mar 7th, 2007 08:12 AM

Wish I could help here but, when I'm in Naples I'm wandering and I see a place that pleases me and I sit - there are so many. Most I don't even know the name to remember. I can't remember a knock my socks off meal, but I can't remember a bad one either. That said, Il Principe at Pompei is wonderful.

el344 Mar 7th, 2007 09:35 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions -- I will check the slow food site. I did check destinations as well, but I'm partial to recommendations from the boards.

ekscrunchy, I've printed off both your Rome and Florence posts to take with me -- thank you so much for those wonderful trip reports.

Girlspytravel, I had written A FIGLIA DO MARINARO down in my notes, but two of our group have serious shellfish allergies and there tends to be some resistance to places that specialize in seafood.

I'll report if we eat anywhere memorable.

Thanks again.

ekscrunchy Mar 7th, 2007 10:20 AM

el, glad you enjoyed! Be sure to post your impressions! Have a wonderful trip.

Oh, one more thing: Did you take a look at Arthur Schwartz' site? He is the author of a well-researched book on the food of Campania,

http://www.amazon.com/Naples-at-Tabl...78&sr=8-11

and also leads trips to the cooking school at the agriturismo in Seliano near Paestum, so his suggestions might be worth checking out.

www.foodmaven.com

RJW Mar 7th, 2007 10:36 AM

The best restaurant we ate in when we were there was L'Ebbrezza di Noè. It is casual but great, in the Chiaia neighborhood. Also, if you need a place to stay, I recommend Napoliday ( www.napoliday.it ). It is a great bed and breakfast in the same area.

el344 Mar 7th, 2007 11:38 AM

The foodmaven site's a great resource -- thanks for suggesting it!

hazel1 Mar 7th, 2007 12:21 PM

ekscrunchy - I can't figure out how to find a list of restaurants on the slowfood site you recommend. Can you offer any assistance?

Waldo Mar 7th, 2007 12:34 PM

Two fantastic restaurants in Naples:
Guisepone al Mare
La Finestra a Mare Chiarro

AnnMarie_C Mar 7th, 2007 12:37 PM

We loved the food at Osteria da Carmela located Via Conte di Ruvo--not far from the Archaeology Museum. Also, really enjoyed Angela Gastronomia, same street about a block away. The food in Naples was my favorite--enjoy!!! :-)

LaBellaDona Mar 7th, 2007 12:56 PM

El -
I was in Naples with Arthur and we had lunch at a wonderful, local restaurant, near the Acquarium, Osteria da Dora - great seafood. I second the suggestion of Bellini for pizza, which is down in Spaccanapoli. I've had great meals at Rosolini - Al Posto Acconto, on the water, and La Cantanella. And don't forget to stop for sgofliatelle (warm just ou t of the oven) at the bakery, Pintauro, just across from the Galleria Umberto. And there's also great pizza at Da Matteo in that "rabbit warren" of streets running parallel to Via Toledo. But all pizza is fabulous in Naples - you just can't get those tomatoes and mozzarella in the states.

Happy eating!

Girlspytravel Mar 7th, 2007 01:32 PM

Actually, I don't agree that all pizza is great in Naples. I was quite underwhelmed with my pizza at da Michele's.

But el, as to "Do Marinaro" you don't have to split from your group-they have really excellent pizza (so these Neapolitans next to me were saying) and salads there as well, so that might be an option/compromise for your group-you really should not miss this place for the authentic Neapolitan dining experience.

ekscrunchy Mar 7th, 2007 01:37 PM

Hazel:

Make sure that you are on the Italian Slow Food site:

www.slowfood.it

Try that and let me know if you need more help.

hazel1 Mar 7th, 2007 03:32 PM

ekscrunchy - that's the site I've been on and I'm sure it's because my understanding of Italian is beginner-level, but I'm not able to locate the link to a list of Slowfood restaurants.

ekscrunchy Mar 8th, 2007 04:29 AM

Hazel, look oon the left hand column..I think it says "Scelti per Voi"

ekscrunchy Mar 8th, 2007 04:39 AM

After you click on "Scelti per Voi" on the left hand side, click again on those words near the top of the page.

hazel1 Mar 8th, 2007 07:43 AM

EK,

Grazie mille! Can't wait to dive into it and come up with some slowfood restaurants to check out on our trip in May.