Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   restaurants in bayeux area (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurants-in-bayeux-area-392551/)

jjashworth Jul 10th, 2008 12:02 PM

restaurants in bayeux area

We will be staying for 3 nights in Port-de-bessin, not far from Bayeux. We will eat at our hotel 1 night but would like to try other restaurants on the other 2 nights. We have not been able to find many restaurants there that don't have heavy sauces or heavy food. We prefer seafood or lighter French food.Does anyone have any suggestions aside from Le Pommier?

happytotravel Jul 10th, 2008 12:39 PM

Hi jjashworth, How lucky you are to be staying in Port-en-bessin. I loved it there. I don't remember a lot of heavy sauces, in fact I remember a lot of fresh seafood, but I don't have a place to recommend. Have a great trip.

Fodorite018 Jul 10th, 2008 12:39 PM

We had two very good meals in Bayeux last summer. Le Petite Bistro and La Fringale. We actually liked La Fringale better.

Several years ago we had a really good lunch at a place right in Port-en-Bessin. I have no idea what the name of the place was, but if you are standing with your back to the harbour it is straight down the street, on the left, not very far. I know...not the best directions by any means, lol, but maybe it will help. Anyway, we had mussels and fish soup. I don't remember what else, but I do remember that it was light and very good.

Underhill Jul 10th, 2008 06:34 PM

We weren't impressed with La Pommeraie.

Since Le Petit Bistro was closed the night we had hoped to eat there we went across the street to a very good Italian restaurant, La Fiorentino. My husband had an astonishingly good scallops Provençale (he is a huge fan of scallops and pronouncned this dish one of the best ever), while I thoroughly enjoyed the pizza Bolognaise.

jjashworth Jul 11th, 2008 10:51 AM

I am getting very hungry! I thank you all for your suggestions. I know we will eat well!

tower Jul 11th, 2008 11:07 AM

JJ

if you'll be in the mood for something lighter while in Port-en- bessin, try the cute "Chaloupe" where they offer crepes, omelettes, etc. Also, a short drive to Grandcamp and an excellent seafood resto, "La Maree"...

Stu T.

annw Jul 11th, 2008 11:29 AM

We loved Lion D'Or in Bayeux.

Gretchen Jul 11th, 2008 11:35 AM

The best meal of our trip that year was at Petite Bistro. It's closed on Sundays.

sheila Jul 22nd, 2008 01:23 AM

Le Petit Normand is very good.

Gretchen Jul 22nd, 2008 04:24 AM

We ate at Petit Normand also--and it is open on Sunday. Bistro was better however.

jjashworth Jul 26th, 2008 12:56 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. Le Petit Bistro seems quite popular. Is this in Port-de-bessin or Bayeux? Do we need reservations? We are lovers of any kind of seafood, coming from Maine and any restaurant that serves a great fish chowder or stew is heaven to us. A good Italian restaurant would also be a good change.

Gretchen Jul 26th, 2008 01:19 PM

It is in Bayeux and yes, you need reservations. it is tiny, run by chef and wife.