Restaurants in Barcelona - kid friendly

May 1st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Restaurants in Barcelona - kid friendly

We will be in Barcelona in a couple of weeks with 2 sons (4 and 6). Will be staying in hotel on Las Ramblas. Any recommendations for local restaurants that have great local food and are kid friendly? We don't need anything fancy but would love to eat where locals frequent.

Thanks in advance!
May 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM

Will you kids be up late enough to eat dinner - which usually doesn;t start until 9 pm - and most people go later?

You may want to go to tapas places, which will be open earlier - and not require you to keep the kids up so late.
May 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM

Cerveceria Catalana, Carrer de Mallorca 236, in the Eixample. A great place with continuous service (so you don't have to eat at the late night dinner hour), a huge array of tapas and other dishes, and there were kids there when we visited. Be prepared to wait if you go at regular lunch or dinner hours, but we walked right in at 6:30.
May 2nd, 2010, 12:42 PM

spanish love kids in restaurants
May 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM

and children also eat as late as the adults...
May 2nd, 2010, 12:53 PM

Also, go to the market, make a picnic and head for the park.
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks all!
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:11 PM

So did you go, janefrsin? How was the trip and where did you go to eat?
Mar 26th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi Nikki - no I will be there in April 2-6 (short business trip) and again with the family in May 3-11. Will be staying in May at an private owned apartment in Eixample. Found the place on vbro.com - http://www.vrbo.com/233863#comments. 1100 Euros for 7 nights for 3 adults and 2 kids in 2 bd,1 bth. Some of the Habitat apts recommended were booked - looks like BCN is filling up fast for Summer. Probably not the cheapest but owner was responsive and good comments so I nabbed it. Father-in-law tagging along as well so decided best to rent an apartment. Looking at a few restaurants. Since I am also planning trips for company events for both occasions - came across some restaurants that this forum might be interested in: Blau BCN in Eixample - interesting restaurant - their menu was quite nice - we are doing group dinner there in April. Recommended by a local sales person in Spain. And also Gilda by Belgious in Bari Gothic - an interesting belgium inspired Spanish restaurant - planning group dinner there in May. Having not eaten there - will have to report back on how they are. I have been gathering a list of restaurants from Fordorite recommendations and other lists so will report back as well where I ended up eating with the family. Last year, ate at the Attic there as part of company event - location was right on Ramblas - food wasnt bad but I must not have been super impressed since no desire to return. Again given my stay was only 3 days - did not get a chance to really sample any food outside of the hotel catered stuff. I had lunch in the cafetaria on the top of Corte Ingles - pretty much cafetaria style nothing to sneeze about but the view was great and it was reasonable. I did squeeze in the Gourmet Walking tour - TIP: if you plan on paying for 1 of the tours at the Tourist info booths plus the Bus Turiste - get the HOHO Bus ticket first because there may be discounts in the pamphlet they give you for the tours. Of course, the gruff person behind the stand did not bother to inform me of this when I bought my tickets in the wrong order. Note: on the gourmet walking tour - you don't really get to stay long enough at any of the spots to actually browse and shop or sit down to eat. So - if you want to save a few Euros here is the itinerary - all within Bari Gothic area. In same order at the tour:
1) Granja Viader - bakery since 1870 - baked goods looked really wonderful but like I said we didnt actually get to stop in and browse and I was too pooped out after the tour to retrace ALL the steps.
2) Boqueria - that of course was a great stop - we did get a 5-10 minutes to browse and buy stuff - I got into trouble by being 5 min late to rejoin the tour. Hard to pull away.
3) Pasitisseria Escriba - cake makers since early 2th century - renowned for their chocolate easter cakes
4) Carrer de Petritxol - make products in traditional way - like xocolate desfeta (thick hot chocolate). I REALLY wanted to stop in here as the hot chocolate looked delicious....never did get around to retrace my steps back - plan to catch it in May trip.
5) Xocolateria Fargas - chocolatier opened in 1827 - specialized in chocolate. I did come back here being a chocoholic - nice interior with lots of artisan chocolates. The fruit ones (dark choc orange rinds were great!)
6) La Pineda - local grocer selling local and regional produce. I think this one had sausages hanging in their doorway - did not revisit for closer look - catching in May
7) Oro liquido - on Carrer de la Palla - olive artisan shop. This place I did come back to and bought a few bottles of olive oils back home. Wonderful stuff!!!! They allow you to taste the different olive oils like you do wine. I loved most of them and the prices were quite reasonable I thought.
8) Caelum - this is the nun bakery. I did not buy anything here but it was an interesting browse
9) La Colmena - 1 of most famous cake shops - I did come back for the baked goods and chocolates. Fun place to browse and buy stuff. I think I enjoyed the browsing more than the actual food. Chocolates were ok - but I am pretty picky about my chocs and coming from Northern California where there are a lot of artisan chocolatiers - one can get really good stuff right at home. But one browses for the atmosphere as well which is unique.
10) Viniteques de la Ribera - 1000s of wines here from all over the region. I did make my way back and the staff was very helpful in helping me choose a wonderful Spanish wine to take home to DH. Definitely worth a visit if you are a wine lover.
11) Pastisseria Brunells - another bakery founded around 1925
12) Mercat de Santa Caterina - this was a nice open air supermarket - similar somewhat to the Boqueria - with even less people speaking English but looked like some wondeful local foods to be had there. Arm gestures definitely needed if one does not speak Spanish like me. I definitely plan to visit this place since we will have kitchen in the apartment. There is a tapas bar/restaurant there where we ended the tour with some food. Probably somewhat touristy but I enjoyed the food quite well enough - probably also due to being famished after the long walk in and out of food places but not being able to sit down and eat.

Anyway - a long summary but hope someone else finds it useful when they are looking for interesting food stores in the Barri Gothic area.