Restaurants around Victoria Station

Apr 8th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Missy

Restaurants around Victoria Station

Does anyone have any suggestions for good, moderately priced restaurants around Victoria Station? My sister and I will be staying at the Thistle Victoria. I do not have much experience with the area and would appreciate any suggestions...
Thank you.

Apr 8th, 2002, 06:02 AM
trying

Missy: Try doing a search for "Victoria Station". There have been recent discussions about this and, hopefully, a search will bring them up. Good luck.

Apr 8th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Dave

Next door to the Lime Tree Hotel on Ebury street is a very nice gastro pub. We have eaten there twice, and both times it was very good. It's a few blocks from Victoria.

Apr 8th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Jen

We were in London recently, and really enjoyed Jenny Lo's Teahouse, about two blocks from Victoria Station--14 Eccleston Street. It's quite chic & packed at lunchtime, but provides quick, good service and wonderful, reasonably priced meals (Asian/Chinese food).

Apr 8th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Mel

Just getting ready to post about Jenny Lo's and saw the previous post. It is excellent--very small and informal, but the bowls of noodles are HUGE. FYI, her father owns a very upscale Chinese restaurant just around the corner on either Ebury or Eccleston.

Ohter than that, the one time I stayed in that area I didn't find anything great.

Apr 8th, 2002, 10:01 AM
md

Dave is referring to the Ebury Street Wine Bar..quite good indeed.

Apr 8th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Nancy

Here are 3 restaurants I really enjoyed in the area of Victoria Station:
Bumbles, Buckingham Palace Rd at Bressendon Place (about 12 bps + wine)
Carriages ? across from Bumbles (about 12 bps + wine)
Spaghetti House ? on Bressendon, one block in from Victoria St. - house special (calamari) includes salad & wine 8 bps.
You can walk to all these restaurants from the Thistle. Any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Apr 8th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Nancy

Sorry about those question marks (?). Meant to put in a dash. The restaurant names are correct.

Apr 8th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Georgine

Over Easter weekend, we ate at the following two restaurants near Victoria Station.

EXCELLENT: La Campagnola
10 Lower Belgrave Street
(Near the intersection with Ebury)
Small, atomospheric, family-owned
Italian cuisine--very resonable.

POOR QUALITY: Duke of Wellington
On Victoria Street directyl opposite
Victoria Station. Beautiful decor,
but very disappointing food---don't
let the crowds fool you.

Apr 8th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Joe

Nancy, I was pleased to see you mention Bumbles. My wife and I went there in '80 when we were relative newlyweds and had a great time. We saw it as a splurge then. We returned in '92 but missed it on our last trip to London. Turned out that it was closed on the day we planned to go - - Sunday I think. I'd be glad to hear what it's like these days. Joe

Apr 8th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Leslie

In Feb, we ate at the Duke of York, upstairs restaurant over the pub. It's right next door to the Victoria Palace Theatre where Kiss Me Kate is (was?) playing. The atmosphere was very English and the fish n' chips were quite good.

Apr 9th, 2002, 02:40 AM
Mike Miller

We ate at the Albert Pub at 52 Victoria St because it was recommended in Cheap Eats in London. You will not be disappointed.

Apr 14th, 2002, 01:07 PM
doo

TTT

Apr 14th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Geoff

Second on the Duke of Wellington - definitely give it a pass. I've eaten at the Spaghetti house, not A+ food but a good B+ for very, very low money. Great value. Right across the street from it there is a Movenpick Marche, downstairs. Not bad for a quick bit of food without having to do fast food. I'm not positive by I thought Polo was not too far north west of this area and you hear a lot of people say that's a good value.

I remember eating at a reasonable Indian place over by the Victoria Coach Station just west of the train station. Don't remember the name of it though. Might have been something like Tandoori House??