Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurant suggestions in Positano for a rehearsal dinner? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurant-suggestions-in-positano-for-a-rehearsal-dinner-377304/)

Jet_Girl Nov 18th, 2003 02:44 PM

Restaurant suggestions in Positano for a rehearsal dinner?

I am getting married in Positano in June and am looking for suggestions for a rehearsal dinner location. It will probably be about 25 people and I would like to keep the cost under 75 Euro (if possible.) Does anyone have any suggestions for a restaurant that would be nice for a cocktail party or casual dinner?

DiGiuseppe Nov 18th, 2003 04:44 PM

Congratulations on your wedding - Italy is a perfect location, Positano simply lovely.
I would suggest, as its June, to see what the prices for the Palazzo Murat would be for a set menu rehearsal dinner. During the spring/summer season they open their inviting courtyard lit entirely with torches. While you won't be alone I am sure they would be happy to section off an area for you and your guests. We have found it to be quite magical and romantic. Best of luck!

Jet_Girl Nov 19th, 2003 01:21 PM

Thanks for your response. Actually, we are having the wedding reception in the gardens of Palazzo Murat. (Good idea :) I'm looking for something a little more casual for the rehearsal dinner. Do you have any other ideas DiGiuseppe?

Natalia Nov 19th, 2003 01:31 PM

I think that Chez Black would be nice. It has such nice ambiance and right on the beach might be festive since the reception will be up in the town itself.

I have always like the food and service there and have been going for years.

maitaitom Nov 19th, 2003 02:02 PM

The Donna Rosa located above Positano in the town of Montpertuso had great food, terrific ambiance and was quite reasonable. It is family owned and they are very friendly. The restaurant receives a lot of rave reviews here and they are warranted. The four of us took a cab, but I think that they also will pick you up (although I don't know about 25 people). There are other places up there that have garnered good reviews, too.
((H))

Weadles Nov 19th, 2003 02:15 PM

Il Ritrova in Montpertuso is also quite amazing, and the views out its large windows at dusk are unforgettable. Try getting in touch with them now, and see if they could arrange anything for you. The prices were very reasonable, as I remember.

Buona fortuna!

jasperj99 Nov 19th, 2003 03:11 PM

Il ritrovo!!! hands down...you won't be sorry!

petitepois Nov 19th, 2003 05:05 PM

Here's another vote for Il Ritrovo!! and be sure to get the amazing antipasti.

Hana Nov 19th, 2003 06:34 PM

I'll add my vote for Il Ritrovo as well! We had a great meal and I can easily see a group of you sitting in front of the windows enjoying a lovely meal. I find it's a little more casual than Donna Rosa. Congratulations!

Jet_Girl Nov 26th, 2003 07:38 AM

Thank you for all of the responses! I will look into all of these. Sounds like Il Ritrova in Montpertuso is a favorite.

swalter518 Nov 26th, 2003 08:02 AM

Also look into Il Terrazze (I may be spelling it wrong). We had a WONDERFUL dinner there and it "hangs" over the water with a gorgeous view. It also has a nightclub - Music on the Rocks-which would be good for guests after the dinner.

DiGiuseppe Jan 11th, 2004 08:21 AM

Just read that the wedding itself is at palazzo murat - amazing - cannot imagine a better setting! interested to hear where you chose for the rehearsal - a thought jumped into my head about the covo dei saraceni. I have seen one casual cocktail dinner served in the evening out in their pool area overlooking the water. ....it was so wonderful - lanterns everywhere.....

Jet_Girl Feb 18th, 2004 10:25 PM

I still have not decided where to have it. I seem to be stuck in one of those "what should I do" modes and if I don't get this taken care of soon we won't be able to find a place...

Rover42 Feb 19th, 2004 01:16 AM

Suggest you try Il Capitano. They have a lovely terrace, with sweeping view of the gulf. Very good food, and -- I think --the kind of relaxed atmosphere it sounds like you are looking for. If the dinner is held as the sun sets, the site is magical.

walkamalfi Feb 21st, 2004 03:01 AM

I would also recommend the San Giovanni near Ravello as the best local restaurant on the Amalfi Coast.

LindaS Feb 21st, 2004 12:36 PM

Another great suggestion would be Da Vincenzo, which is about half up the hillside right in the middle of Positano. The food is excellent and very reasonalby priced. The atmosphere is very causal and festive. It was recommended to us by locals as a place that is not over run by tourists and was very popular among the locals. If you want to stay right in Positano for the dinner, I think this would be a great place. Best of luck for whichever place you choose and your honeymoon. (Positano was for our honeymoon too).

Linda