Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurant suggestions for Cesky Krumlov (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurant-suggestions-for-cesky-krumlov-493985/)

sylviam Jan 9th, 2005 12:53 PM

Restaurant suggestions for Cesky Krumlov

We will be in Cesky Krumlov for a day in late March. Can anyone suggest a few good restaurants? The castle will be closed and we are also looking for a guide.

herman Jan 9th, 2005 03:37 PM

I would be surprised to find a good restaurant there. Restaurant Parkan at Parkan No. 102, across from the Hotel Dvorak, was adequate but I wouldn't call it good. It does have a pleasant outdoor eating area next to the river.

Georgine Jan 9th, 2005 04:00 PM

Sylviam,

If you are looking for a more "refined" restaurant experience, I can recommend the restaurant of the Hotel Ruze on Horni Street, about 1 1/2 blocks up from the main square. The Ruze is a converted Jesuit monastery, and it was refurbished "head to toe", converting it into a true 5 star hotel about 4 years ago. ( They even took out all the doors and jambs to completely sand and refinish.)

The restaurant offers a wide range of Continental as well as Czech menu choices, and its terrace have a lovely view over the winding Vltava River.

There are more modestly priced restaurants at the Hotel Konvice and the Pension Barbikan, which are also both on Horni Street.

If you call or e-mail the Cesky Krumlov Tourist Office, several of the staff speak English. I am certain they will easily arrange a guide for you.

I called them in advance of one of our trips to Cesky Krumlov, and they arranged to get tickets for us to a evening concert in the castle. All I had to do was stop in at their office on the main square of the old town, and the tickets were waiting for us (as promised) in a pre-addressed envelope.

If you use this route, I would recommend taking a token gift for the agent----their salaries are very modest, and a small present for the USA will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry that the castle will be closed during your stay---you may have to go back again for another visit!!

Betsy Jan 9th, 2005 04:17 PM

We had dinner at the Konvice in October 2004. Their goulash, served with a bready dumpling, was delicious. Nice ambience (candles on the tables) and very reasonable prices. We didn't have a reservation but just stopped in. We stayed at the Barbakan, and our room looked out over the river and down (way down) on the patio of their restaurant. While we didn't have a meal there, the aromas wafting up were wonderful, and there seemed to be abundant food on the plates. We did sit on their patio on a glorious fall afternoon while imbibing some wonderful Czech beer. The Barbakan leases out the restaurant. The restaurant didn't seem to be very well marked. When facing the Barbakan, you'll find steps going down the left-hand side of the building.

sylviam Jan 10th, 2005 03:22 PM

Thank you everyone. We are staying at the Barbakan. Many on Fodors have recommended it.

Georgine: I will contact the tourist office. Interesting your suggestion to bring a gift. We have a private guide in Prague and I am bringing a gift for her.