Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Restaurant review: Garum, Paseo Maritimo, Marbella, Costa del Sol, Spain
Notices

Restaurant review: Garum, Paseo Maritimo, Marbella, Costa del Sol, Spain

Dec 23rd, 2011, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Restaurant review: Garum, Paseo Maritimo, Marbella, Costa del Sol, Spain

I don’t post very often except to ask questions, to which I always get very helpful information, so I’d like to return the favor and describe a wonderful restaurant in Marbella: Garum.
Garum is right on the Mediterranean, on Paseo Maritimo about 50 yds west of the Faro and Tourist Information building. Not on the lower beach level but on the upper “boardwalk”. Lovely patio (a bit too cool for us, so we ate inside)
The food and service were out of this world! I’d say “continental” rather than Andalusian, though the ingredients were largely local produce. I had a soup described as “mild curry pumpkin soup with peach and walnut” – the “curry” was mostly nutmeg and a bit of cardamom, to my guess, only a bit of cumin and turmeric undetectable. It was delectable! The half-portion was about 2/3 of a cup, and I did not see a whole portion to know how large. My husband’s starter was “muffin with duck breast” – not mentioned on the menu, but we learned from the owner, that they smoke the duck themselves, with wood from Finland. My husband raved about it.
A palate clearer of lingonberry granita with an ounce or two of champagne, gratis.
Main courses: For me, dorada (two small fillets - very nice portion) with mango, spinach and potato cake with corn kernels, in a sauvignon blanc sauce. The fish was very fresh and tasty and the sweetness and richness of the potato and sauce were cut nicely by the mango and spinach. My husband had calf liver with apples and onions in a calvados sauce - again, the flavors married beautifully.
I had dessert - a raspberry panna cotta with little fig-filled wontons. Mmm.
The wine was a 2007 Bercera Crianza. Suggested by the owner, as a substitute for what my husband had ordered... but 5 euros cheaper, so don’t suspect a bait and switch here! As we were paying, the owner offered us, as he had every table, an after dinner liqueur whose name I did not catch (sounded like “Panchiero”?), tasting of both fruit and anisette.
Total bill, with sparkling water, wine, and one dessert and one espresso, and before tip...80,50 euro. Given the quality of the food and service, we thought that very reasonable.
Bottom line: Superb food and service, as good as any in the world, with fresh local ingredients (so the menu will definitely vary by season). Not a place to experience the typical Andalusian cuisine, but a magnificent experience! The least I could do to thank both the restauranteur and this forum was to post a description here. Menu and info at
www.garummarbella.com.
Dec 23rd, 2011, 02:26 AM

It's an extraordinary menu, with dishes from all over the world, and some like fish & chips to attract the less adventurous British diners. All at very reasonable prices. I'm getting hungry.

It is interesting that they have menus in both English and Spanish, but perhaps a necessity in view of the number of Northern European visitors to this part of Spain. It shows that menus in more than one language is just a sign of a management which knows its likely clientele, and not necessarily something to be avoided as "inauthentique".
Dec 23rd, 2011, 05:06 AM

And Garum was the essential flavoursome ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine since Greek and Roman times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garum

If you visit the remarkably intact Roman city Barcino under the Barri Gótic in today's Barcelona, you'll see how essential the production and storage of Garum used to be.
http://www.intltravelnews.com/2011/03/roman-barcino

Visit Barcino in Museu d’Historia de la Ciutat: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...utat-BR-1.html

Search this Thread