Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant recs for Christmas Day in Paris, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I land in Paris early on 12/25. We'd like to dine out that night. I recently ran across this list regarding closings from Maribel, but I know nothing about any of these restaurants:
"Here's the list that we compiled from all the guides and just work around-closings from Xmas through NYears, just for folks to know:

Au Bascou
Le Pamphlet (Jan. 1-15)
Mon Vieil Ami (Jan. 1-20)
Barcane
Atelier Maître Albert
Aux Charpentiers (Dec. 24/25, Jan. 1)
Les Papilles (Jan. 1-8)
Ze Kitchen Galerie (Dec.25/Jan.1)
Fish (reopens Jan. 2 or 3)
Chez l'Ami Jean
Aux Lyonnais
D'Chez Eux
L'Affriolé
Le Florimond
Le Villaret
Astier
Au Trou Gascon
L'Avant-Goût (Jan. 1-10)
La Cerisaie
Le Troquet
Aux Lyonnaise
Beurre Noisette (Jan. 1-7)
L'Endredgeu"

My husband and I both eat seafood, but not other types of meat. I know he would enjoy oysters . . . is there something you recommend that might be in a moderate price range? I really have no idea what is considered moderate in Paris, but is $100/couple feasible?

Oh, and we're staying in the 7th.

Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM

I'm not sure if I understand your list. Are all those places the ones you are considering or the ones that post closing dates?

Even if they don't have a stated closing timeframe such as Christmas to New Years, very many will close Christmas Day even if they don't announce it.

The big named ones like La Tour d'Argent (which I know is open Christmas day) is very likely already booked.

100 per couple is very feasable (but not at La Tour d'Argent;-))

The 7th should be a good place to find a nice restaurant in that price range open. Why not email or fax your hotel concierge and ask them for suggestions? Then post back here and let us know what they suggest. That would be my best bet.

Bofinger and Balzar are reportedly open. Maybe you could post this on bonjourparis.com. or one of the other Paris specific sites.

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

"I'm not sure if I understand your list. Are all those places the ones you are considering or the ones that post closing dates?"

Both! I ran across the list when I did a search for Christmas in Paris restaurants. I don't know any of the restaurants, but figured it would be a good starting point for recommendations.

Thanks for the info and suggestions!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
mjs

This is a great way to confuse everyone.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Why is this confusing? I'd be happy to illuminate whatever points need clarification.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Hi Paucie, we too will be there during the Holidays and a few of those restaurants are on our list. Thanks for sharing your research.

I think what clarification is needed (I'm confused too), is on the ones where no dates are given, for example Astier. Does that mean that they are closed for the entire week between Christmas and New Years, two weeks, or just on the holidays themselves.

It's hard to give recommendations if we don't know which one will be open on Christmas or during the remainder of your stay in Paris.

Thanks,

Nina
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:30 AM

On your list, we've only been to Aux Lyonnais. It's on the list twice, are there 2 of them? I don't remember exactly where the one we went to was but it was very good.

I remember it being kind of rustic, small tables but the food was outstanding. Everyone was dressed casually (except for us...I thought it was going to be fancy!)

From my notes:
Appetizers 11 to 16 euros
Main dishes 20 to 25 euros
I had a "cocotte" of whole baby vegetables to start and sole with wilted spinach for an entree.
(I will add that these two dishes were about the only "light" fare on the menu. It's very, well, Lyonaise.)

Hubby had Eggs Meurette (sp?)with morel mushroom, shrimp, spinach & garlic for a first course. Veal liver seared and serve rare in the middle over garlic sauteed potatoes and lardons.

Dessert was rice pudding & cookies for hubby and a pine nut tart with red fondant for me.
I'm ashamed to say that we split another dessert, ile flottant. Well, I did have the light first 2 courses. ;-)

Sorry. It looks like I just hijacked this post on Christmas dinner to write a restaurant review. Time to plan another trip.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM

I don't have comments on those particular restaurants, as I don't know them well. But I think your list needs pruning or more research. Perhaps what Maribel posted were just something she knew, or exceptions or something, but I know Astier isn't open on Christmas. They are closed on holidays (and even regular Sat and Sundays).

I think your budget may be tough in a lot of those places ($50 USD per person is only about 40 euro--I'd call that on the low end of moderate unless you don't want wine with dinner). I think some restaurants that are open on Christmas may have higher prices than regular, also. Atelier Maitre Albert, for example, has main plat around 25 euro, and entrees or desserts are 10-15 euro each. Maybe if you only have the main and one of the other and no wine. Of course, I'm forgetting you don't eat meat, so not sure they really have many other offerings for a main dish--not much seafood there.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Hi Paucie,
The list I composed that you have copied here with my mistaken repetition of Aux Lyonnaise (there's just one! Sorry about the double listing!) is one that I compiled of restaurants that we have found closed at some point during the holiday season...
either the usual Dec. 25-Jan. 1+, or immediately after New Years. It's a mix.

Again, these are ones that we have tried to reserve during our holiday trips to Paris and have found closed during the holidays or after Jan 1.

But it's not a list of those that specifically will close on Monday, Dec. 25. That Christmas Day closing is actually hard info to come by in all cases.

As Linda says, many Parisian restaurants will close Dec. 25. even if they don't indicate that on their web pages or in guides such as the Michelin, Lebey, le Pudlo.

Aux Lyonnaise is closed on Mon. says www.alainducasse.com

I think a brasserie such as Bofinger or Balzar would be your best bet and come within your budget. Or have your concierge call around for you.

Sorry about the confusion!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:49 AM

I forgot about the meat thing too. Also was just reminded by a friend that unless you find a cafe or brasserie open, all restaurants will likely have a pre set menu. Oysters will probably be the first course followed by a meat or fowl course.

Again, the concierge will probably be your best bet. Good luck and let us know what you find.