Reload this Page >

Restaurant Recommendations in Florence and San Gimingnano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 05:39 AM
Colyn W

Hello <BR> <BR>Does anybody have recommendations of great restaurants. $15 - $30 range. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 06:33 AM
Margaret

Try the LaPosta Restaurant in Florence. You can have a meal there for $30 minus the wine. <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 07:10 AM
cheryl

Colyn- <BR> <BR>Did you have in mind $15-30 for one person or two? Since most meals in Italy involve 2 courses per person and wine, that is a little low for two people. We had some ok meals for $15 per person (in Florence these seemed to be restaurants geared toward tourists), but our great meals were more like $30 per person (or more). We especially enjoyed Osteria Santo Spirito, at 16r on the Piazza Santo Spirito. We had an excellent 4 cheese gnocchi there. And the bread came with a wonderful tapenade. This restaurant seemed to have a lot of locals as well as tourists. I think the bill for 2 came to about $60.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 07:15 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATORB

COLYN, In San G. do not miss the risotto <BR>con porcini at the Terrazze ristorante <BR>in the La Cisterna Hotel--the best I have had in Italy. Their veal marsala <BR>was also very good.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 07:19 AM
elaine

Florence: <BR>Restaurant Acqua al Due <BR>Vigna Vecchia 40, phone 055 284 170. LIT 9500 ($60) for two with <BR>wine. Very casual, enjoyable, service a bit cold but they are very busy. Food ranging from salads and omelettes to excellent veal chop. Very popular with young Italians. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 07:51 AM
Colyn W

Thanks so far. I was thinking of approx $30 per person without wine.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 07:56 AM
Paulo

In Florence, I haven't been to some of these places in years ... price tags in one or the other may have gone a bit over your upper limit depending on what you order. <BR> <BR>- Cinghiale Bianco (Borgo S. Jacopo, 43/r - Tel: 055/215706) <BR> Reserve a table in the mezzanine (very romantic at candle light) and ask for a wild boar with polenta <BR> <BR>- Armando (Borgo Ognissanti, 140/r - Tel: 055/216219) <BR> Try the excelent liver with fried veggies or rabbit (if available) <BR> <BR>- La Maremmana (Via dei Macci, 77/r - Tel: 055/241226) <BR> Try the ribollita and stracotto <BR> <BR>- Trattoria Sostanza "Dal Troia" (Via Porcellana, 25/r - Tel: 055/212691) <BR> Try the "Trippa alla fiorentina" ... it looks weird ... but it's delicious! They have an excellent Bistecca but the price tag may go over your upper limit. Reservations mandatory (very small restaurant) and you'll sit in shared tables of 8. <BR> <BR>- Trattoria Mario (Via Rosina, 2/r - Tel: 055/218550) <BR> For a quick lunch, no frills Florentine cuisine! <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 10:54 AM
Gary

Paolo (the message just before this) recommended La Maremanna, but said he hadn't been in years. I was there two weeks ago, and it is excellent. One of the best antipasto bars we've ever had, don't miss it. One thing, when you look in from the door, the place looks empty, but it goes back forever and there were actually plenty of people there. This restaurant was actually written up in the In Style magazine published by people, we showed them the article, and they'd never seen it. They were thrilled.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 11:07 AM
Paulo

Thanx for the update, Gary! I'll mark it down with a "refresh" note for a future trip &lt;g&gt; <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. We haven't been to the Armando yet; it's marked down for a future trip recommended by two of our friends that have been there recently, independently.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 05:40 PM
Dennis

Colyn, <BR> <BR>I would recommend La Taverna del Bronzino in Florence. It was one of our favorite restaurants in Italy. Excellent pasta and a wonderful bistecca (Florentine steak). Also, excellent ambience.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 05:43 PM
Dennis

Colyn, <BR> <BR>By the way, I just posted a moment ago and forgot to mention that the La Taverna del Bronzino might run more than $30 per person especially if you eat several courses or eat the steak I mentioned. But, it's worth the splurge!