Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurant recommendations for the 5th (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurant-recommendations-for-the-5th-214276/)

Jim Kalinowski May 5th, 2002 04:06 PM

Restaurant recommendations for the 5th

Can anyone recommend some good nearby restaurants. We will be staying at the Hotel Residence Monge on rue monge. We will arrive June 1st and I know we'll be pretty wiped out after the trip so I want to stay pretty colse that first day. Thanks.

syl May 5th, 2002 05:02 PM

Le Chat Qui Peche in St.Michel area.Great and inexpensive.

Christina May 5th, 2002 06:32 PM

Not sure exactly where that hotel is, but probably not too far from place Contrescarpe? I'd suggest Lena et Mimile at 32 rue Tournefort, good traditional French food, prix fixe menus. They also have a pleasant terrace overlooking a square so it should be a nice time to relax. There are lots of good small restaurants around there, you should be able to find plenty just walking around there a little bit. There's one nearby with Provencal cuisine I like but I can't remember the name, unfortunately. I think there are several of various types of cuisine on nearby rue Thouin.

Jim Kalinowski May 6th, 2002 03:49 AM

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Your right, it isn't too far from Place Contrescarpe. That first day just want to walk around a bit until the room is ready and then a quick nap and some more walking to get back on schedule.

lisa May 6th, 2002 08:16 AM

I enjoyed Chantairelle, near the Pantheon in the 5th. They have a website where you can see sample menus, and you can book by e-mail. Check out www.chantairelle.com. I ate there last May and had a wonderful meal. Did not care much for the escargots appetizers (too oily and salty) but loved the amuse-bouche of country sausage, my main course of filet de dore, and the blueberry tart for dessert was incredible. Very reasonably priced too. They have tables outdoors on their courtyard in back which is charming.

Jim Kalinowski May 6th, 2002 04:57 PM

Thanks Lisa. Checked out the website. Trés jolie! I hope I enjoy the escargot more than you did. I've been waiting to give them a try since the last Peter Mayle book.

lisa May 7th, 2002 07:55 AM

Jim -- Do try the escargots elsewhere while you're in Paris! They can be delicious; I just didn't care for the preparation at Chantairelle, but everything else I tasted there was marvelous. Post back after your trip and let us know how your trip was. I've heard good things about that hotel.

Ben Haines May 7th, 2002 11:55 AM

Dear Mr Kalinowski,<BR><BR>My software does not recognise your e mail address. Never mind: here is my note, though it is a klittle off target.<BR><BR>In discussing Paris for children forum correspondents recommended these in the fifth arrondissement. <BR><BR>Nearest you, Rue Mouffetard. Metro Place Monge. 5th. <BR>Dear Mr Kalinowski,<BR>Has many choices available...I<BR><BR> enjoyed the paninis...a grilled sandwich with cheese, chicken, or just about anything including veggies...one particular place also served crepes...delicious.<BR><BR>The others are along bus route 47.<BR><BR>Family-oriented brasseries which you will probably just see walking around; there are some I noticed on east end of bd St-Germain (east of Bvd St-Michel). Metro Maubert-Mutualite. 5th<BR><BR>Institut du Monde Arab, Quai St. Bernard. Metro Cardinal Lemoine. 5th. The restaurant at the top<BR><BR>A fondue in the little street near St Severin. Metro St Michel. 5th<BR><BR>Cafe St Michel, Bvd St Michel, by the Seine. Metro St Michel. 5th. <BR>Far from being unfriendly, a waiter did a magic trick for our son (well - nothing special, just sleight of hand with the juice bottle - had our son in fits).<BR><BR>The Rose de Tunis, rue St. Andre des Arts, near the fountains on Place St. Michel. Metro St Michel. 5th<BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London

David May 7th, 2002 12:15 PM

Jim,<BR><BR>We stayed at the same hotel last September. Suspecting we'd be tired that first day we made advanced reservations at Chantairelle for our first evening. Definitely within walking distance (have Julie at Residence Monge mark it on a map for you as it's on a small side street) with some good hearty country-French dishes.<BR><BR>As others have stated, you'll find plenty of restaurants, cafes, markets, etc. in that area. There is a cute little square about two blocks from the hotel that has four or five cafes around it (we ate at Cafe Delmas there for lunch--quite good little place). Julie can direct you to the square as well.<BR><BR>Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.<BR><BR>Strive

Nancy May 7th, 2002 06:28 PM

Had dinner one night at this restaurant which a friend always go to: Les Fontaines (rue Poillet & rue Soufflot). The dinner and service was excellent. I think this is in the 5th. For really good pizza and inexpensive, try Pizza Milano at Blvd St Michel and the Seine. Great people watching.

Jim Kalinowski May 8th, 2002 02:02 PM

Thanks to all of you. I had a great time looking all of these up at: <BR>wge.pagesjaunes.fr<BR>It's a great site for looking at the actual places you want to go. You get a map and then click on the street and it gives you a picture of the building there. Magnifique!

Bouillon Racine May 8th, 2002 02:41 PM

in the 5th:<BR>Bouillon Racine<BR>3, rue Racine<BR>75006 Paris<BR>Tel: 01 44 32 15 60<BR>Off Bd Saint Michael<BR>near intersection w/ Rue des Ecoles<BR>(Sorbonne area)<BR><BR>Great decor, very 'French', on a neighborhood side street we wandered by and went back that evening. Not overly expensive, but a unique & special place.

elaine May 9th, 2002 05:42 AM

La Bucherie, 41 rue de la Bucherie. This is on one of the oldest streets in Paris. The cafe has a fireplace to feel cozy around, very good food, and excellent desserts. At lunch time they get a mix of casual drop-ins and business people. They are open for lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner. Basically continuous service from noon to midnight, so it’s a particularly good place to go to, as we did, on your day of arrival when you’re not sure if it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner time. We ate a proper European lunch (with courses!) and therefore happily made do with purchased cheese and fruit for “dinner” in our hotel room before we collapsed for the night. La Bucherie’s phone is 01 43 54 24 52. Next door is the famous English-language bookstore Shakespeare and Co.

topper May 15th, 2002 01:22 PM

toppering