Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant recommendation for last dinner in Paris?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:43 PM
DebF.

Hi, I'm traveling to Paris with my girlfriends the first week in May. We've made some reservations for restaurants and plan to try others based on some of your recommendations. We haven't decided on our last meal yet. Looking for a nice restaurant, not too stuffy, too noisy or tables too crowded together, and under 100 euros pp. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Debbie

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:47 AM
DebF.

topping for myself. the pressure to choose the last meal is making me unbelievably stressful!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Travis

I have a great little restaurant you can go to. I know a couple that live in Paris, she's american, and he's parisian. He is a chef in Paris, and I asked him where would he go out if he could go anywhere. So that's where we went and it was fabulous, of course the name of it is in my journal at home, so I will get back to this again this evening. Sorry I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:27 AM
ryan

You might want to look into Relais Louis XIII. It is in the 6th Arr., just a few blocks from Notre Dame.

Cassic French with a great Chef. Manuel Martinez had been the Chef at Tour D'Argent, previously. Less than 1/2 the cost of other top locations. We've eaten there several times and so have friends who've followed our recommendation. The reviews were always great.

The Paris Zagat's rates it a 22 for food. In that neighborhood, it is tied for second in their food rating.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Howard

Our favorite restaurant in Paris doesn't make the guide books, but people who live there know it. It's called the Sergent Recruteur on the Rue St. Louis en L'Ile on the Ile St. Louis. It's rough country French, not at all snooty, very down to earth and wonderful, and if you don't have the Ile St. Louis on your itinerary, you should. We were there last in 99, and I think it was about $40 per person, prix fixe. You pick the entree, the rest comes with--bowls of fresh veggies, pate, wine, dessert. We've also eaten very expensive in Paris, and still go back to the Sergent Recruteur. If you email me I can give you the phone number and exact address--I've got their place mat on my wall at home.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:40 AM
elvira

Les Amoynes (up and coming Paris chef) or Savoir Aimer, both on rue Faubourg St Antoine. Les Amoynes a little more upscale, but not too-too. Complete menu (no a la carte) was 180ff which is about $25. Savoir Aimer much more a neighborhood place, but definitely not a Bob's Big Boy.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 03:50 PM
DebF.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Of course I forgot to mention that our list evening is on Saturday, so I'll have to research what is open and what is not.

Travis: did you find the name of the restaurant?

Ryan: the Relais Louis XIII was on my list of one of the restaurants to try. If we don't visit Sat., maybe another day of the week.

Howard: the Ile St. Louis is one of my favorite neighborhoods too. We will be spending some time there, in fact for our first meal we are planning to eat at L'Ilot Vache which is just down the street from Sergent Recruteur.

Elvira: for either of the restaurants you mentioned do you have addresses or phone numbers? I did a google search and came up empty. On rue Faubourg St. Antoine are they closer to Place de la Bastille or Place de la Nation? Otherwise I can ask the hotel concierge.

Thanks again, Debbie

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:29 PM
dick

tastevin [which we have never tried because of cost] has a "second" called l"angle on rue fauberg st honore not far from arc [metro ternes about 5 blocks away]. spent 130 euros for two of which 65 was for wine [a white chateneuf de pape]. pretty food and good quality but nat at all stuffy..mod atmosphere.. a swell dinner experience

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:24 PM
dick

oops..didn't mean tastevin [which is on ile st louis and is affordable] meant tallivent.