Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant reccomendations for Siena, Cortona, Orvieto, Porto Ercole and Rome

Jun 26th, 2002, 11:57 AM
linda

We will be leaving soon for our trip to Tuscany and would love some great restaurant reccomendations for Siena, Cortona, Porto Ercole and Rome.

Jun 26th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Julie

In Porto Ercole it would be hard to beat Il Pelicano. Go for dinner and have dessert and coffee outside on their terrace listening to the wind blow through the immense and very tall umbrella pines while a jazz pianist plays softly on the piano. The food is good too.

Jun 26th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Graziella

In the outskirts of Cortona, Il Falconieri , it is elegant and charming , on the expensive side.
In Cortona, Tonino has a fantastic super antipasto, consisting of several dishes. We enjoyed a lot Tratoria La Grotta, very good! and for steak florentino + the rest. Preludio next door to the Hotel St Michele, by the way we have stayed several times in the St Miche le and like it very much.
We ate also well in Rest.Il Cacciatore .
Good luck.

Jun 26th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Graziella

In Orvieto, we enjoyed:

1) Osteria dell'Angello in Piazza
XXIX Marzo,8 and

2) Il Sette Consoli, in pzzaSt. Angelo

Jun 26th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Capo

Hi Linda. We loved Osteria Nonna Gina in Siena, and ate there twice. Good food, reasonably priced; very colorful and cozy atmosphere; and even a complimentary choice of two drinks after dinner, a very nice touch.

It's located where Via Stalloreggi runs into Pian dei Mantellini, southwest of the main square, Il Campo.

Jun 26th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Helen Donegan

I have never eaten as badly in my whole life as I did this year in the Prelude Restaurant beside the San Michele in Cortona. I still feel sick when I think about it.

I know the restaurant has 2 forks in the Mitchelin guide and looks lovely from the outside but really it was awful in April 2002. I heard since that they have had big problems in that kitchen and I don't know if that is still the case but I would strongly advise people to eat somewhere else!

You didn't mention your price range Linda.

Jun 26th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Carin

Perhaps Helen went on a bad day. Il Preludio next to San Michele in Cortona was wonderful when we went EXCEPT for the OBNOXIOUS people across from us who made us ashamed to be Americans! You CANNOT miss with Il Cane e Gato in Siena - a great life experience. Do a search her and you'll see!

Jun 26th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Marilyn

Hey Capo, we stayed right around the corner from Osteria Nona Gina (Siena) and ate there quite a few times. Delightful!

Jun 27th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Leo

I have two for Cortona-both in Fodors reccomendations.

Osteria del teatro- a very small place up from the main square. Lovely dinner. Like Colleen in the rants and raves section the accomodating hostess squezed us in. When we arrive on our first night in Cortona we found the osteria closed due to a wedding party that had not yet arrived. When we asked to reserve for the next night she seated us in a back room. We were happy we ate there. then we walked around the corner and reserved for the Logetta for the next night.

La Logetta-outside on the terrace (old fish market) overlooking the town square. Excellent dinner- one of the best. Make sure to reserve and ask for a table overlooking the square.

Wish I was there this summer.

Jun 27th, 2002, 05:08 AM
tj

Cortona - second La Grotta rec. also enjoyed Trattoria Toscana (ate there twice). We stayed at Il Falconiere and had a wonderful meal there (great terrace overlooking the countryside). one thing to note is it's nouvelle cuisine, not traditional Italian (we enjoyed it once, but like traditional most of the time).

Siena - Osteria Le Logge - Malfatti to die for.

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Helen Donegan

I think the Preludio has problems this year - not only the night I went (the Italians sitting in the table next to me sent their meal back and I am only sorry I didn't - I thought I would ruin the evening for my guests but maybe I was just a coward).

I loved the Trattoria Toscana, reasonably-priced traditional food, and Il Falconiere (about 100? a head so only for a very special occasion).

Down in Camucia the Canta Napoli is great - especially for fish, I think it is best to let the waiter choose. About 23? a person, including wine. Have a limoncello - it is homemade!

Jun 27th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Capo

Hi Marilyn. Thanks for your note. Glad to hear you liked Osteria Nonna Gina as much as we did.

On our first night there, we had a funny coincidence. We were seated next to a German couple in their late 60s/early 70s. As they rose to leave, I initially spoke to them in my limited German, and we ended up all talking in English, with them telling us how much they loved traveling in the U.S. My girlfriend mentioned that she's originally from Colorado; they replied that Colorado was one of the places they loved the most and then, to top it off, the guy reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out a Royal Gorge baseball-type cap. What a small world.

Jun 27th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Diane

Favorite Restaurant: Giglio d`Oro
Favorite Menu Item: The chef suggests a menu -- do yourself a favor and choose that! Each course was magnificent, starting with the Eggplant mousse, dressed with truffle and roasted red peppers. mmmmmmmm.
Unique Qualities: Stepping into the reception area from the Duomo Square is like walking through a time warp of many centuries. The decor is very modern, sophisticated and sleek, yet it all fits together beautifully. The service is as professional and impressive as the food is delicious and the menu well put-together. This was one of our best meals over the three weeks we spent in Italy.
Location: Facing Orvieto`s exquisite Duomo, it is to your left.

Jun 27th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Diane

oops. That restaurant Giglio d'Oro is in Orvieto!

Jun 27th, 2002, 12:49 PM
alice

Siena - I agree abour Cane e Gatto. They were so nice, and the PLENTIFUL food was great. Our meal lasted 4 hours!

However, I discovered a GEM in Siena - Osteria Antica Da Divo. I don’t remember the little street it’s on, but if you’re in the piazza facing the baptistry of the Duomo (NOT the main front entrance to the cathedral), you walk up the street to your right.
The restaurant if actually built into an ancient etruscan home, and if you make a reservations for one of the back rooms, you’ll be eating in what feels like a cave. The atmosphere can’t be beat, and the food is to die for! Order the risotto. It’s wheeled to your table and served from inside a whole wheel of Parmesan Cheese. It ws one of the most memorable meals I’ve ever had!

- Alice

Jun 27th, 2002, 01:00 PM
william

I agree with the comment of tge Da Divo restaurant in Sienna. We ate there in late May and had a very good meal.

Jun 27th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Graziella

Ref Cortona, I guess some places vary from year to year, Preludio was fine for us three or four years ago,
on the other hand Osteria del teatro, in 2001 was not too good for us, the worst meal we had in Cortona.
I am pleased that<< tj >>seconds Trattoria La Grotta, I though it was very good, also very reasonable.
Things vary...I understand Helen... in 2001 we had a very bad dinner in , Trattoria da Bruno 1 in Pisa although being recomended by Michelin and Frommer .... we find it really horrible....

Jun 27th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Judi

I agree that Da Divo in Siena was one of the best meals we had. We also ate at Cano e Gato which (blasphemous thought!) we thought was over-hyped, although the owners/servers were extremely nice.

We were not impressed with Preludio in Cortona but did like La Grotta.

Happy travels, Linda!

Jun 27th, 2002, 04:54 PM
xxx

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:46 PM
hess

Second La Loggetta in Cortona. Wonderful food, great spot.