Search

Restaurant Openings in Paris on Christmas/New Year's Day

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant Openings in Paris on Christmas/New Year's Day

Hi,

I'll be arriving in Paris on December 25th (much cheaper airfare), and I'd like to have a good dinner that night. I know most restos will be closed, but does anyone know about restaurants that stay open. I know I'll be able to find a pizza/kebab place, but I was hoping for a cozy (and tasty) Christmas dinner. We'll be staying at Le Madison in the 6th, but ofcourse: WILL TRAVEL FOR GOOD FOOD!!
I'm sure the hotel's reception will be able to recommend some places, but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

Also, any NY's eve/day suggestions?
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 01:15 PM
jmv

We had our Christmas day dinner at Pied de Cochon, the bistro in the Les Halles area one year that stays open night and day continuously. It's said that when they closed once for the funeral of an owner they couldn't find the key because they'd never locked up. It's a beautiful place with lovely murals and art deco light fixtures, etc. They specialize in pig products offering one plate that contains trotters, ears, snout and tail but they also have many more "normal" dishes on the menu.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Jmv,

Thanks for the recommendation. How was your meal? Good food? Reasonable prices? I'm always a little leery of restaurants that are open 24 hours.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 10:32 AM
jmv

This place is a classic. Its food is respectable but not fantastic, but it's certainly not a place that will serve you bad food. The price is slightly higher than you might pay at a less famous old bistro but not way out of line and the decor and history is worth something. I'm guessing that if Google this place you can find a site that will provide you a representative menu. Try it.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 11:40 AM

A place that is known for pig byproducts (trotters, snouts and tails) and you ask how the food is? yech....

There is probably a Pied de Cochon in every city, there's even one where I live and they all seem the same, it must be the name--convenient, open a lot, but not the greatest food. Actually, I don't know much about that one in Paris, but I know it does have stuff other than pig parts and is very famous, so that's not a bad idea.

I don't know this from personal experience, but have read the nice brasserie and restaurant in the Hotel Lutetia are open on Xmas and have a nice meal. That is very near the Madison and would be convenient and nice. That won't be super cheap, but they have two levels of restaurants, one more reasonably priced. www.lutetia-paris.com has a section on the restaurants which is descriptive and if you call to reserve, there will be someone who speaks English, of course.