Restaurant near Volksoper, Vienna

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant near Volksoper, Vienna

I'm looking for suggestions where to get a quick meal near the Volksoper in Vienna before the 7:30p.m. performance.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Cafe Weimar is only 150 meters away on Wahringer Strasse.

www.cafeweimar.at/

excelent before and/or after performance. Good food. Excelent pastry and piano music in the evening too.
Check performance time- most begin at 7 PM
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Kim Kocht "Kim Cooks" (make reservations- 6 Lustkandlgasse; 319-0242; prix fixe, $50–$55 per person). I have never been, but am planning on going after the Marriage of Figaro this October. Does anybody have feedback on this place? Do they accomodate late diners after an operetta?
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Kim Kocht is a very small place - perhaps 20 -25 seats. You must book months in advance usually. It does not open until 6 PM- not a place for a "quick meal"before a performance.

Best after performances.
But place closes at midnight Volksoper performances usually over by 10.
While the restaurant is across the street from the Volksoper, I would prefer to not rush such an after theater meal.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Agree with molker, but there is also the Volksoper Cafe right across the street from the operahouse. We liked it for a quick meal. Go to Weimar after the show...you may see some of the performers there for a late drink or snack.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your really helpful advice.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:38 AM

We are going to see a Mozart ensemble at Musikverein at 4pm (I believe it is a performance by the Vienna Boys Choir) and then the Marriage of Figaro at the Volksoper at 7pm. Do you think we have time for a quick bite in between performances. Any recommendations on places between the two venues?
Is Kim Kochts not worth it if we have to dine at 10pm?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:50 AM

jonalex-

The Vienna Boys choir performs usually in the smaller hall ( Brahms Hall ) at the Musikverein.
If the performance is at 4 PM,it will probably last about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.
Adding travel time to the Volksoper ( 15 minutes by taxi or 30 minutes by streetcar gives you little time to eat and be in the Volksoper for a / PM performance.

The small cafer across the street from the Volksoper ( Volksoper Cafe) is probably your best place as they are accustomed to the 7 PM deadline. Do not expect gourmet menu but oper goers have been going there as long as I can remember.
The waitress with short black hair and glasses will speak a little english , I think.

The Marriage of Figaro ( Die Hochzeit des Figaro ) will last until about 10:30 or a little later.

You can call Kim and see about a late dinner , but for me , trying to dine in such a place with limited time restricts the experience. It is bad enough that you sit elbow to elbow in this little place at these prices regardless of reputation.
Obviously not a fan of the place.

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM

Hello Molker, and Operaman too. We are also going to Die Hochzeit des Figaro at the Volksopera. What time would you suggest reservations at Cafe Weimar for a light dinner before the performance, about 5:30? Or is that cutting it too close? Thanks for the help, and aloha.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:00 PM

Cafe Weimar is only a 5 minute walk from the Volksoper. But you must check your coat before being seated.( if you have one)
Arriving 15-20 minutes before the performance will give you time for this and seeing a little of the House before the performance begins.
The local Vienna audience is known for late arrivals and it can be a little conjested just before the curtain goes up.

With a 7 PM performance, I would go to the Cafe at 5- this way a leisurely time for this nice night.

As you arrive at the Volksoper, you will usually find many people just outside the door. They are having one last cigarette before entering .
Just enter and pass by the Foyer to the various doorways to seating areas. Easiest just to ask an usher which way to go. Each level and side ( left or right ) will have individual check areas for coats.

Individual ushers can seat you and sell a program also if you want one.

Enjoy the evening.

The Weimar is also a nice place after the performance for a drink, pastry etc.
Good piano music too at that time.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM

Thank you for the help, Molker, and also for the link to the seating chart of the Brahms Hall. It would be nice not to have to have a coat in Vienna in late September, especially for those of us who've lived in Hawaii for many years, but I'm not going to count on it. Thanks and aloha.