Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurant La Chassagnette, Arles (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurant-la-chassagnette-arles-586955/)

Traviata Jan 31st, 2006 11:32 AM

Restaurant La Chassagnette, Arles

In November, we were fortunate to experience a fantastic lunch at La Chassagnette...all we could think of when we left was returning as quickly as possible.. the food, the presentation, the setting..REALLY wonderful! Now we hear it is closed (hopefully just a seasonal closing), but we are reading that the chef has left and it will reopen as a bistro....it may resurface as a top rated bistro, but it would never be the Chassagnette we experienced. Does anyone know more about this??

cigalechanta Jan 31st, 2006 11:51 AM

I've posted all that yes it's true. If you telephone you will get a message. saying they are closed til June,

cigalechanta Jan 31st, 2006 11:53 AM

P.S. the irony of this is that this month's Saveur magazine was their best 100 things and number one was La Chassagnette. It shows a photo of the chef. These articles are done two months in advance, so the falling out happened after we can assume.

PBProvence Jan 31st, 2006 01:31 PM

Yes, sadly Jean Luc has left La Chassagnette (in November) and the investors are now planning to reopen as a bistro. Frankly I don't think I'll be driving to the Camargue to go to a bistro, but I guess I'll try it at least once.

Jean Luc does own two other restaurants (not bio) in the southwest - I have the names if anyone is interested. The one in Bordeaux is sort of a mix of Corsican and Spanish, run by another chef.

I'll post some more after I hear from Jean Luc about what his plans are for the future.

Traviata Jan 31st, 2006 01:39 PM

PBProvence..Thank you for the information, but..this is exactly the news I was hoping NOT to hear...I am soooo disappointed....when we were there, we never imagined we would not return ...actually, we thought it so wonderful, we expected to have difficulty getting reservations for the next time....little did we know HOW difficult!! Please keep us advised if you hear anything more, especially if it looks like they may have a change of heart...we'd be waiting at the door...

cigalechanta Jan 31st, 2006 01:41 PM

Patricia, let's hope he returns somewhere else with his great food and a charming atmosphere. I know you dont like Chez Juju but I LOVED it but went to visit the new relocation in September and did not find it the same nor the location attractive. No longer on a beach and you no longer pick the fish from a tank but from an iced box(freezer?)

PBProvence Feb 1st, 2006 09:28 AM

Well, here's some good news ! I got an email this afternoon from Jean Luc...

He will be opening a new restaurant in Arles at 7 rue des Carmes during the month of March. But he didn't tell me the name...

He's taken the staff with him and the restaurant will be along the same lines as the Chassagnette ... as he says, "esprit, cuisine, acceuil, produits".

http://www.rabanel.com
restaurant tel: 04 90 91 07 69

So I'll spread the word and hope to see you all there next time you come over !!

Patricia

cigalechanta Feb 1st, 2006 09:35 AM

Great News, Thanks.

cigalechanta Feb 1st, 2006 09:39 AM

It's named L'Atelier

Traviata Feb 1st, 2006 01:35 PM

PB...this is great news!!! Thank you so much for sharing it, and Cigalechanta, thank you for the name...we WILL be there and likely more than once....my disappointment has become anticipation!!

Traviata Feb 1st, 2006 02:09 PM

PBProvence....Since you were familiar with Chassagnette, it would be wonderful if you would post your impressions when you try L'atelier...I'll keep checking...

cigalechanta Feb 1st, 2006 06:54 PM

I hope I won't be disappointed, we loved the last location. One wall was covered with dry bay leaves under chicken wire. The confitures they sold were wonderful gifts so appreciated by friends and dining in front of a patch of herbs was so nice on a hot summer day. You could tour the organic garden.