Restaurant in Tivoli Garden?

May 11th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Restaurant in Tivoli Garden?

We are going to spend our first evening of our Scandinavian trip in June at Tivoli Garden in Copenhagen. I'm planning to spend the first evening at TG because I know it will keep our sons ages 8 and 10 awake as we convert to local time. Does anyone have a restaurant suugestion?

We're looking forward to trying local cuisine. The boys are well mannered and accustomed to eating out. I've read in guidebooks and here on Fodors that the TG restaurants may be overpriced. I'm not concerned about the price. I am looking for a great atmosphere and good food for our first night. Thank you!
May 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM

I just got back from Copenhagen two days ago with my 21 year old daughter.Our first night was spent at Tivoli so that we could see the changing of the Tivoli "boys guard"(only on weekends till June).I was shocked at the price to get into Tivoli (about $15 USD per person and that is without food,rides,etc.) We ended up eating at the big restaurant that is at the center(right at the fork where the road splits) when you first walk in (cannot remember the name) but the food was very decent and one of the less expensive we found.My daughter and I love seafood but found throughout Copenhagen that the Danish restaurants push more beef,veal and lamb. We had some wonderful but pricey meals around the Nyhavn canal.There is also a pirate ship type restaurant that might interest your sons for eating on the pond? We are aquarium people but would not recommend spending the $6 USD per person to see the Tivoli aquarium as its just one wall? Be prepared to spend ALOT of money in Copenhagen-I hadn't been there in 30 years and was in shock at the prices.$7 beers/salmon with new potatoes dinner around $28 to $40,etc.The best deal is the 1 hour canal/harbor tour on the "Netto boats" by Nyhavn instead of the standard DYSY(?) boats which are double the price for the same thing.It was quite enjoyable and an interesting perspective to see the city.Our trip was great and we were very blessed to have weather with sun and high 60's the whole time we were there. Have fun!
May 12th, 2006, 07:41 AM
ira

ttt
May 12th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Was in Copenhagen just after Christmas. We ate at a restaurant just inside the entrance to Tivoli. I think it was called Herford or THE Herford. They had really good burgers plus salads and soup etc. Prices were reasonable for Cophehagen. I think I saw on the Tivoli website that there are over 40 restaurants or places to eat in the park, so you shouldn't have a problem finding something to fit your family. Also, we stayed in Nyhaven (pronounced roughly..Newhown)..there was also a restaurant called Herford..NOT the same as the one in Tivoli. We ate there one night and they had a resonable prix fix dinner menu..I had a pepper steak and a half lobster, soup, and an apple tart..really good. There are a lot of snack type places in Copenhagen and the department stores..Magasin and Illum both have great food courts with lots of selection and reasonable prices. Also there are Shwarma stands around the city..pita bread with chicken, beef, or ox, stuffed with salad and dressing. Really, really good. As in other european countries, menues are always posted outside the restaurant so you can check things out before going in. We had a great time in the winter, and I'll bet it will be wonderful in summer with all the tables outside the cafes and the canal boats running. You will also get all that daylight. Have a great trip.
May 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions for TG. We'll also find the pirate ship one as our sons love pirates and ships.
May 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM

I wouldn't worry about which restaurant. Tivoli is very manageable and there are many restaurants. Wait until you arrive and something will undoubedtly tug at you. There are many types of places, fast food, sit down, types of cuisine. Enjoy, both you and your kids will love it, especially at night.
May 12th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Yes to chevre's suggestion. We generally do a "lap" around Tivoli (walk around the lake and enjoy the lights, which are charming), and then choose a place to eat. It seems, however, that we always end up at the Peacock (I forget what it is really called in Danish but that's what it means). It is a relatively fancy place but the food is very good. The pirate ship is there on the pond but usually the wait time is quite long.

As mentioned, Nyhaven is also a good place for dinner. There are many restaurants lined up in a row, all with outdoor seating which is very pleasant in the summertime.

Yes, the food there is expensive, but the quality is very high. For a quick lunch at better prices, try the food court in the "basement" (fanciest basement you evr saw, with a glass"river" going through the floor) of the department store on Stroget, the pedestrian street.

Search this Thread