Italy train--Sperlonga to Ciampino?

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy train--Sperlonga to Ciampino?

Has anyone visited Sperlonga? I know there is a train but where is the Ciampino airport in relationship to the train station? We are considering an overnight and ending up at the airport the next morning...doable? (yes i know about trenitalia...)
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm afraid I don't understand. Will you have a car? How will you get to Sperlonga?

Someone else may have some insight into this, but as I see it: Without a car, I think this would be a very complicated and time-consuming journey. First, you'd have to get to a town on the Naples-Rome train line and catch a train that stops there. One of them, Latina, is about an hour's drive from Sperlonga. Latina is 60-90 minutes from Roma Termini (depending on the train). Then, you'd need to take the Terravision Shuttle to Ciampino.

(Formia is another town on the Naples-Rome line. It's closer to Sperlonga -- only 30 minutes -- but in the opposite direction, so the "saved" time is spent on a longer train ride.)

There is no train from Latina or Formia directly to Ciampino.

Look at www.adr.it for info on the Ciampino Airport and the shuttle from Roma Termini. The website says you should be boarding the shuttle 3 hours before your flight departure time.

It sounds like the whole journey would take upwards of 6 hours.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 06:59 PM

The train station for Sperlonga is Fondi/Sperlonga and trains from Termini take one hour and 11 minutes. It's probably about a 20 to 30 minute cab or bus ride from Fondi to Sperlonga. There are no direct trains from Fondi to Ciampino but with a change in Termini the journey is slightly less than 2 hours.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Grinisa, I knew someone would have the right answer. This sounds much more do-able.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, What I was considering was "training" into Sperlonga from Naples, staying two nights and continuing to the airport in the am, but I don't think that will work very well. And I doubt my DH wants to drive from Naples to Rome just to see Sperlonga. Sounds like maybe a daytrip from Rome will work better.