Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurant in Brugge...for special occasion..any suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurant-in-brugge-for-special-occasion-any-suggestions-154678/)

Rhonda Feb 4th, 2002 05:32 AM

Restaurant in Brugge...for special occasion..any suggestions?

For my husband's 40th birthday I've planned a surprise weekend in Brugge. I'd like to take him out for a really nice meal one night and go to a more casual restaurant/bar/bistro on the other night. Any suggestions...we love food of all kinds and have no particular budget/price range in mind.<BR><BR>I'd welcome any suggestions.<BR>Rhonda

wes fowler Feb 4th, 2002 07:34 AM

Here's a couple of suggestions, Rhonda.<BR>For a fine meal in a traditional Brugean restaurant, I'd suggest the Brugse Bistro at 58 Noordzandstraat. Another option is De Stove at 4 Kleine Sint-Amandsstraat. Again, fine cuisine, with the emphasis on fish dishes.<BR><BR>For a casual experience, try 't Brugs Beertje at 5 Kemelstraat. A delightful cafe with over 300 Belgian beers available, it also features great breads, farm pates and regional cheeses.

Rhonda Feb 4th, 2002 02:34 PM

Wes<BR>Thanks for the suggestions. I like the sound of both of these.<BR><BR>Anyone else got any favourite places to eat in Brugge?<BR><BR>Rhonda

Rhonda Feb 5th, 2002 03:56 AM

Me again..any other ideas?<BR>Rhonda

Nancy Feb 5th, 2002 05:09 AM

Rhonda,<BR><BR>We were in Brugge for my husband's birthday in 1999. We had a great meal, I think the name of the place was Le Cornee. It is down a side alley in between Market & Burg. If memory serves me correctly, there were about 5 tables in the downstairs section, I think there was seating upstairs. That is the first time we had snails served with straight pins in the wine cork for the utensil! I do remember a great filet with bernaise sauce. Their specialty is grilled meats, my filet was cooked right in the room where we were sitting.<BR><BR>I found the handwritten bill from dinner, it was about $60 USD. I'm sure we had a bottle of wine with that. I have their business card at home if you want additional details-again, this was in May of 1999-so things may have changed!<BR><BR>

BillJ Feb 5th, 2002 05:11 PM

May I recommend most enthusiastically Breydel – De Coninc, located on the short street between the Markt and town square. Last spring we had a most delicious meal of lobster in white wine sauce followed by a giant pot of mussels in a cream and white wine sauce. The place is informal, friendly, and just plain fun. The lobster was pulled from a large aquarium right next to the front door. I believe it is recommended by Fodors. One of our favorite meals of last year's European trip. Enjoy.

Kristen Mar 18th, 2002 08:42 AM

Try Den Dyver (reservations necessary). Quite beautiful inside and very romantic. Fantastic food, and wonderful beer with each course...you can choose from a fixed menu or try selections on your own (we did our own and asked for beer selections as well). 4 beers, 1 water, 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 coffees, and 2 desserts - all phenomenal and only 94 euros.

Diana Mar 28th, 2002 11:52 AM

De Koetze (I think that's how it is spelled) is one of my favorites. We have been to Brugge on 2 different trips and make sure it's one of the places we return to. They have wonderful seafood. If you order lobster, you will get an interesting lobster bib (white linen embroidered with a red lobster). <BR><BR>Have a wonderful time. Brugge is my favorite city to visit.

Tim Apr 1st, 2002 05:54 PM

Spinnekopke is Excellent!! For an old fashion beer hall go to either Brugs Beertje or Garre (this one you will have to ask around to find).<BR>I also love Belgium & Brugges.