Restaurant between Venice and Cortona

Sep 28th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Dona

Restaurant between Venice and Cortona

We'll be driving from Venice to Cortona on a Sunday. Looking for a wonderful restaurant for lunch to break up the trip.

Any suggestions?

Sep 28th, 2002, 04:52 PM

Sep 28th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Rex

This drive is high speed autostrada almos the entire way, so the real question is, do you want to get off and actually figure out how to deal with a city to find a restaurant? if so, then Bologna is the logical midpoint, and of course, Bologna is known for nothing much more than its wonderful food. I have never been there, but Santa Chiara posted some names of places on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1287888

not entirely out of the question is to eat at one of the many Autogrill resturants you will see at regular intervals on the autostrada. They actually offer a very attractive cafeteria-line-style array of choices, with hot dishes, pasta selections, salads, sandwiches, desserts, you name it. Real authentic Italian (albeit "highway food"), and yet easy to make selections that American palates will like too.

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 29th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Dona

I would actually like to make "lunch" the day's activity - so I am looking for a place to get off the autostrada and explore.

Bologna is a good idea - I'll just have to check on restaurant availability on Sunday.

Any other suggestions?

Dona

Sep 29th, 2002, 02:33 PM

ttt

Sep 29th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Wayne

Big cities like Bologna are OK and have a lot of things to see, but they are not always pleasant to visit just for a lunch. I would prefer to stop at the little village of Sasso Marconi and eat at the Marconi restaurant, which specializes in delicious seafood.

It would be great if you post a message on this board when you return and let us know what you did and where you stopped, and how you enjoyed it. Enjoy your trip.

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Dona

Wayne -

Thanks so much for the Marconi recommendation. I have to check to see if they're open on Sunday afternoon. Michelin says they're closed Sunday evening.

Have you or anyone else out there heard of these 2 restaurants?

Osteria Dandy in Minerbio
or
Bitone just outside of Bologna.

Thanks -
Dona

Sep 30th, 2002, 01:43 AM
Santa Chiara

Dona, I haven't tried Bitone but heard it was good. Gambero Rosso has some good suggestions for the outskirts of Bologna: http://www.gamberorosso.it/e/bologna/bologna.asp

Also, Fred Plotkin's Gourmet's Guide to Italy recommends an osteria in Modena that he says is one of his favorite restaurants in Italy. I don't have the book with me, but if you have a copy, you might look up his recommendations, not only for Modena but also for other towns in the area.

It's a hassle to drive into Bologna, and on Sunday the center is closed to traffic so that limits your choices, or you have to hoof it.

Have fun.

Oct 20th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Dona

Wayne -

Back from my trip and have to thank you for the wonderful Marconi suggestion.

Ate at some of the best known restaurants and, I must say, that this lunch was the most memorable. I had a pasta called Paccheri di Gragnano con astaice e ricotta fresca - which is a very large tubular pasta with fresh ricotta and big pieces of lobster! [I have pictures of it if you're interested...LOL] Topped off with a mixed salad and a cold bottle of Gavi di Gavi. What could be better?

Thanks for the wonderful recommendation.

Dona

Dona