Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Restaurant attire in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/restaurant-attire-in-paris-878248/)

mdmom Feb 16th, 2011 05:09 PM

Restaurant attire in Paris

Is it ok for a woman to wear jeans (in good condition) with a nice sweater/ top and shoes or boots to dinner in Paris (at places like Ardoise/ Ze Kitchen Galerie/ Le Comptoir du Relais? (NOT talking Alain Ducasse, Jules Verne. etc)

Thanks!

TPAYT Feb 16th, 2011 05:16 PM

I've worn dark jeans with nice tops quite often---mostly black tops, black goes everywhere. Add a nice necklace or scarf and you're good to go.

I probably wouldn't choose light jeans for dinner.

Gretchen Feb 16th, 2011 05:23 PM

Would you wear that in you comparable restaurant in your large city--or in NYC? Large cosmopolitan city?

ekscrunchy Feb 16th, 2011 06:00 PM

Yes, you can certainly wear that to Ze Kitchen Galerie.

Leely2 Feb 16th, 2011 06:24 PM

Yes.

mdmom Feb 16th, 2011 06:30 PM

Great - thanks. Makes packing a lot easier. And Gretchen - yes - absolutely in NYC

travelgourmet Feb 16th, 2011 09:28 PM

Yes, jeans should be fine.

<i>Would you wear that in you comparable restaurant in your large city</i>

In Copenhagen, you could wear jeans and sneakers anywhere. Saw a guy in a t-shirt in noma last weekend.

<i>or in NYC?</i>

At all but a handful of places, yes.

denisea Feb 18th, 2011 12:58 PM

Definitely at Le Comptoir...jeans are fine at most places but they should be nice. I like black pants as a staple for Paris.

Gretchen Feb 18th, 2011 01:03 PM

Question answered. If you would do it in acomparable restaurant in your city, you are good to go.
And just because someone wears a T shirt to X, I would consider it totally inappropriate. Pride does count.

christy1 Feb 18th, 2011 01:17 PM

Interesting. I wouldn't wear jeans to a good restaurant either in NYC and Paris. Actually I wouldn't here in Seattle, either. In my experience Parisian women are usually in skirts at those kinds of places, but things have rapidly gotten more casual in Paris over the last few years, so I imagine people here are right and that you can get away with it. That makes me sad--it's one of the things I really look forward to when I go to Paris, everyone making the effort and looking nice.

wizardofaus Feb 18th, 2011 01:28 PM

Wear what YOU feel comfortable in. I have never been to any restaurant in Paris with a dress code. Usually I wear jeans, sometimes with a jacket (but even then often with a t-shirt). I have worn a suit and tie one or twice, but that was my decision.

"Parisian women are usually in skirts at those kinds of places" Dunno - they all seem to wear jeans or black pants in my experience.

suze Feb 18th, 2011 02:24 PM

I never understand why so many people seem to love jeans for traveling. Seems to me they are bulky/heavy to pack, take forever to wash & dry, and do stand out as being... well jeans, so by their nature, casual wear. Why not use slacks/pants/trousers instead? They are just as comfortable, easier to pack and wash (if needed). And would solve the (possible) problem of being inappropriately dressed.

spaarne Feb 19th, 2011 01:03 AM

Agree with Suze. Most women look like potato farmers in jeans.

nona1 Feb 19th, 2011 03:24 AM

So do most men.

I live in jeans.

travelgourmet Feb 19th, 2011 06:30 AM

<i>Why not use slacks/pants/trousers instead? They are just as comfortable, easier to pack and wash (if needed).</i>

I don't find slacks as comfortable. They also must be ironed. Not as versatile, either, IMO. They look stupid with casual shoes. I also think jeans look better. And the only time slacks would be washed while I travel would be if I send them to the hotel laundry, and it is just as easy to hand them a pair of jeans as a pair of slacks.

I do, however, have a few pairs of lighter pants for warmer weather.

<i>And would solve the (possible) problem of being inappropriately dressed.</i>

But, as has been noted, this is not a problem, so why 'solve' it?

<i>And just because someone wears a T shirt to X, I would consider it totally inappropriate. Pride does count.</i>

The people I see in t-shirts don't seem to suffer from a lack of pride. But one should certainly wear what they are comfortable in, and if you aren't comfortable in a t-shirt, you shouldn't wear it.

LSky Feb 19th, 2011 06:58 AM

Another voice for jeans for travel. Like someone said, you can wear any shoe with them. I like denim trousers or a dark wash. Packing a nice pair of dark pants is sensible also.