COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Rest Stops from Tuscany to Umbria

Old Aug 18th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Rest Stops from Tuscany to Umbria

A bit of an odd question but I want to be prepared none the less. The longest stretch of our trip will be getting from Florence to Umbria which will take us around 3 hours or so. We have not decided yet whether to rent a car and drive ourselves or get a private driver.

Either way, it's probably not like driving in the US where we have a McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts on every corner, even in the middle of no where. If we need to stop off and use the rest room, is it difficult to find a place along that stretch?
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 07:55 AM

Depends on which roads you travel & at what time of day. Where are you going in Umbria? Maybe you can take a train near there & pick up the rental car in Umbria.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 08:23 AM

If the drive would take three hours, you must be going to the southeastern part of Umbria. It would definitely help to know where, and whether you have any idea of the route you want to take.

In any case, a good part of the trip should be along major roads, or even limited access highways. In all cases, you would pass many service stations, which always have a rest room, and usually a bar, for coffee or light meals, as well.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 08:33 AM

I should add that once you get on minor roads, such as SS (Strada Statale) roads in rural Umbria, the service stations are thin in the ground. However, that would probably be near the end of your trip. Try to make a final rest stop before hitting thinly populated areas.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

The destination is about 30 minutes south of Lake Trasimeno; if that helps.

Thanks for the tips! It did show a 52 mile stretch of what I am assuming is highway if it is that long; I'll be sure to make a pit stop along there just to be sure. the rest of our destinations will be by train so I am not worried there.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 01:37 PM

Just in general, driving or walking around rural villages, you can stop at a cafe/bar & use the restroom. It's polite to buy a little something -- a lollipop, pack of gum, chips -- if you don't want a coffee. But if you feel you need a restroom don't torture yourself. Cafe staff is typically very understading & accommodating. It's sometimes the only "public" restroom available.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 01:48 PM

I recall a stop at a nice Autogrill between Florence and Bevagna. You can look up Autogrill locations on their website. We bought provisions for our stay in Bevagna (wine, cheese, water, snacks) so that turned out great.

http://www.autogrill.com/en/about-us/where-we-are
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I'll check that out. Will be good to stock up on some snacks and drinks on the way too.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 07:40 PM

There are plenty B&B in Tuscany all the way to Perugia, as the place is very popular for tourism. If it is just for a night Just drive around, I really recommend you rent a car.