Need help finding mountain side hotel in western Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've asked this question several months ago but I think my post was too long winded and didn't get straight to the point...so I'll try again.

Our group is two families of 4 (2 adults/2 kids x 2). We're driving from Lucerne to Salzburg and would like to stop somewhere in the middle to spend a night in a small, mountainside hotel. I've been trying to use Karen Brown's website but just about all of the hotels she recommends are in the middle of a village. We'd prefer something a bit more remote if possible. It doesn't have to be real fancy, just something with an incredible view - that doesn't include 15 similar hotels all lined up in a row and a ski lift in the distance.

A great example of what I'm looking for is a hotel we found in the Dolomites - http://www.uhrerhof.com/eng/index.php . That is exactly what I'm looking for but in western Austria. We'd drive down to this hotel if it wasn't so far out of the way.

Thanks
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 01:38 AM

May be something like that?
http://www.weisseespitze.com/en/hotel.html
http://www.obladis.at/uk/
can be reached either from Landeck (along the Zurich - Innsbruck motorway) or through the Swiss Alps (Zurich - Klosters - Scuol - Pfunds)
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for those suggestions...both seem promising. Any others?
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

I'll bump this one time for today's lunch crowd.
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 04:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I believe this is exactly what you're looking for:

The Gaestehaus Bergland in Finkenberg, which is in the Zillertal, about an hour from Innsbruck. I can only say the place and the views are incredible. Nearly cliff hanging incredible.

http://gaestehaus-bergland.at/?lang=en

We stayed here in Sept. 2009 and LOVED it. The Bergland is VERY nice, as were the owners (who speak very little English, but you'll get by).

Our personal pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjbass...57646600331977

Paul
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 04:56 PM

I wanted to add that the Bergland is not in the village of Finkenberg or any village, not in a row of other places. You will feel away from it all at the top of the world.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Pja1 - that is exactly what I was looking for. It took a bit of time to find them on a map but I did. Thank you so much for the recommendation.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 09:47 AM

Wekiva, I'm so glad that pja1 responded, and that you're following his recommendation. He really knows and loves this area. We followed a few of his recs in 2014. Enjoy the gorgeous Austrian Alps!
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 12:54 PM

Hey Tom! Thank you for the kind words.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 02:59 PM

HI again Wekiva,

If staying at the Bergland, it's easy to miss the turn off of the main road to get there. In our second photo, the long main road heading uphill, you'll come to a barn looking building on the right hand side and that would be the road that takes you there. It looks more like an alley or driveway, but it is the road to the Bergland. Take caution for an oncoming car, as the road becomes just a lane and a half for a short section just before arriving. We were a bit leary of this, but we never came upon another car at the time we drove this small section. Actually, we didn't see but one or two cars go by the Bergland during our brief stay up there.

Most scenic stay we've had in many trips to Austria. Enjoy.

Paul
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update Paul. We're only planning to stay one night. I see that this is more of an apartment than a hotel. They do mention a surcharge for short stays, I'm hoping that they'll accommodate one night.

Since you've stayed there maybe you can answer a question that I posed to the owners but haven't heard a reply on yet (I fear that my question may get lost in translation since you said they didn't speak great English)...our group consists of 2 families (4 adults and 4 kids total ranging in age from 13 to 18). Would it be better to try and get two of the smaller apartments or share a larger one? Our families travel well together so if the apartment with the better views is the larger one then we'd be fine to stay together. I'm splitting hairs a bit here but with your direct knowledge of the place thought I'd give it a shot.
Thanks
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 10:28 AM

Hi,

When we stayed at the Bergland in 2009, they had double rooms, so we had a double room. I wrote to them to reserve our room in English and then in simple German. If you'd like help translating, either I can help or you can try google translator.

If you don't get a response or the deal you'd like, you may want to look into these on the same road.

The first one is pretty much next door to the Bergland:

http://www.bichl.com/

http://www.ausserstein.at/en/

http://www.haus-am-sonnenhang.net/

Paul
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 12:40 PM

Hi,

I was just looking over the Bergland website and the surcharge is 3 Euro per person, so it looks like 24 euro extra for your entire party. The apartments look spacious and have no shortage of bedrooms, and if it's just a single night, maybe you could do one apartment.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Paul
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 12:44 PM

This may be of interest:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g7...ps-Hotels.html
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 02:07 PM

Paul, I'm also looking at the Zillertal area. Is Finkenberg very quiet? I looked at your photos (beautiful!) and noticed the photo of Cafe Eberl - is that in the village or in Mayrhofen? Any sense whether that area would be good for hiking in mid June or is that too early? I'm also wondering about staying in Zell im Zillertal as a base.....
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 05:50 AM

Mayrhofen is only at 600 metres above sea level. As long as you plan to hike there (there are tons of well signmarked trails) and not in the Alps, you will have no problems with snow or so.
I suppose you know that June can be extremely rainy in this area.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 06:35 AM

Hi Maggie,

It seemed very quiet. The Eberl was on the road between Finkenberg and Mayrhofen as I recall. We were there in late September and nothing was really busy. I'd pick Mayrhofen over Zell as far as a "town" to stay in. Just an opinion from a brief visit to both. We're not hikers, so I couldn't advise on that in early June. We are thinking of heading there again in late May early June. See what happens.

Paul
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Thanks Paul and neckervd! Good tip to stay in Mayrhofen during the mid June timeframe. Maggie