Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Residenza Canali ai Coronari or Hotel Traiano or Hotel Regno in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard great reports about Canali and it sounds like a great area but Traiano & Regno would be closer to metro and I think more bus options. My husband needs to travel to the conference area near Piramide station and the family needs to be in a good safe location. What are your thoughts on these hotels for a stay in June.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:31 AM

I would choose the Residenza Canali. It's a wonderful location, above and beyond it's convenience - just beuatiful. You won't need Metro as most places will be walking distance and taxis to anywhere from there will be around 5 euro.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:36 AM

look at tripadvisor.com to get some other reviews..including mine. I stayed there a few weeks ago and my report is not as glowing as bard01's. But the location, for sure, cannot be beat.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:41 AM

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I've saved this is from a Fodor's post here not too long ago...

"Residenza Canali in Rome-The walls are NOT insulated!"
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:23 AM

from my trip report..

I would not stay at this hotel again, mainly because of the noise and the rooms were a lot less (in quality) than I expected. There is a central marble staircase that goes up 3-4 stories with no doors or walls buffering the noise from the stairs to the door of your room, which are right off the stairs. The rooms were nothing special and a fairly modern bathroom. My parent’s room was next to ours, and the walls were so thin we immediately realized that all conversations were to be kept to a whisper.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Sandi_travelnut,
Thanks for your input on the"Residenza Canali in Rome" I had also heard good reports on this Hotel. Although Just today you are the second person to give a review that has put a a red flag up for me. Thank you for your honesty. I was just going to book a night there for June! I will look on.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:04 PM

I stay at Canali when I am not staying in an apartment and I do like it. I have stayed in one room with a giant veranda and in a two room suite. I have never heard noise but then I am a heavy sleeper.

I do like the owners and the desk people, they are very very helpful and friendly. I couldn't remember the name of a restaurant I liked and one of the men spent over an hour searching for it on the internet and then rang my room with the name.

This is not to contradict Sandi's opinion - it is just my opinion.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM

We stayed at the Residenza Canali this past September. We loved the location and never heard any noise in our room. We stayed on the top floor and our room had a terrace. The stairs were an adventure after a long day of walking but I would definitely stay there again.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Don't get me wrong; the hotel itself was nice, the employees went out of their way to arrange cabs and help find restaurants but I do believe that if you get a room at the top of the stairs you have less noise that the 2nd floor where we were. I am not kidding though about the uninsulated walls and the reverberating footsteps on the marble staircase..
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 03:44 PM

I highly recommend the Canali ai Coronari. We stayed there last summer, in Roome #1, and it was fabulous. We paid 165E/night to get the room with the enormous terrace. Fabulous location, just a block off Piazza Navona. 5 minute walk to Pantheon. Easy (and very lovely) walk across Ponte Sant Angelo to the Vatican. It is a far piece from the Colosseum and the Spanish Steps, but if you were nearer those places, you'd be further from Piazza Navona. We had no problems getting a bus to the Colosseum. Don't miss the sunset from Castel Sant Angelo! We never had any problems with the walls being thin and never really knew anyone else was there, other than at the breakfasts.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:00 AM

I think you're room is at the very top of the hotel so maybe the noise wasn't an issue up there. It certainly was for me and my parents staying in the next room.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:52 AM

I haven't heard great report about Residenza Canali here:
http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html