Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Residence La Tavolozza, Positano hotel one night deposit by mail (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/residence-la-tavolozza-positano-hotel-one-night-deposit-by-mail-763711/)

JJ625 Jan 26th, 2009 11:16 AM

Residence La Tavolozza, Positano hotel one night deposit by mail

I'm looking to book four nights at Residence La Tavolozza in Positano in September. This budget hotel is highly recommended by RS and Tripadvisor. The owners have asked me to send one night deposit by mail. I've never done this before. Please share your experience with sending a check (money order? certified check?) to Italy (by USPS, FedEx?). Thank you.

I've posted my question on the RS travelers' helpline as well.

ira Jan 26th, 2009 01:35 PM

Hi JJ,

Ask the proprietor if they will accept a check in dollars for the equivalent Euro amount + 15%.

You can then give them euro when you get there and they can give you your check back.

((I))

dcd Jan 26th, 2009 02:42 PM

JJ,

I'll be staying at Residence La Tavolozzo this May. I sent Francesca an email asking the specifics about this deposit and here is her reply:

"Don't worry you can send us a $120 personal check made out to Cobalto Francesca and if you cancel from 2 weeks before your arrival we'll cash it.
You'll pay the bill in Euros cash.
Our mailing address is:
Cobalto Francesca
La Tavolozza
Via C. Colombo 10
84017 Positano (SA)
Italy"

In other words, the deposit is simply to hold the room.

I, too, am looking forward to this B&B. Ira, it came down to this one versus your fav a little down the road.

JJ625 Jan 26th, 2009 04:14 PM

Thank you Ira and dcd for your quick response! I'll send Francesca an email about the personal check in USD and the best way to send it.

bxl4373 Jun 25th, 2009 06:40 AM

I am trying to book two nights at Residence La Tavolozza in Positano. I can not find their website,other than calling direct does anyone know how to book?

Thanks

galelstorm Jun 25th, 2009 09:34 AM

We are going there in September and cannot wait! Here is the contact information I used:

[email protected]

Mailing address:

LA TAVOLOZZA
Residence House
Via C. Colombo 10
84017 POSITANO (SA)
Italy

bxl4373 Jun 25th, 2009 09:52 AM

Thanks for your help. Enjoy your visit!

bxl4373 Jun 25th, 2009 11:54 AM

Have you been to the area before? We spent four days in Sorrento last year and thought we would visit Positano in May 2010. Any suggestions on what to do? We will be there for two days. Thanks
Judy

galelstorm Jun 25th, 2009 12:23 PM

No, this will be our first trip to Italy, yay! Our son went to Italy last year and stayed at La Tavolozza and thought it was the best place they stayed in Italy. They were in Milan, Assisi, Positano, and the Lake Cuomo area. We are heading to Positano for a nice five day break after Venice, Umbria, then Rome. I want to see Pompeii, of course, but really want to trek around to the small towns that make up the Amalfi Coast area. We'll probably/maybe take a trip over to Capri and a ferry ride down to Salerno too.

bxl4373 Jun 25th, 2009 01:34 PM

We went to Italy in May 2008. We visited Rome , Florence,and Sorrento. Capri was beautiful! We took a tour that included a boat ride around the island. We are going to Rome for one week Sorrento for one week then Positano for two nights in May 2010 for our twentieth
Anniversary!

dcd Jun 25th, 2009 02:37 PM

bxl, congrats on the 20th. My suggestion would be to seriously consider modifying your itinerary. We just got back from 4 nites in Positano and 4 nites on Capri for our 10th wedding anniversary and one of these days I'll hopefully find the time to do a trip report. We drove thru Sorrento and, while nice, we much preferred the scenery of the Amalfi Coast and Capri. Since you've already spent a considerable amount of time in Sorrento, I'd urge you to consider spending your 20th in other unexplored areas.

What to do in Positano. Take a ride with Salvatore along the AC. He's an absolute hoot. He got rave reviews here and now I know why. http://www.gennaroesalvatore.it/

Go to Ravello. Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo have exquisite gardens and even better views. If you like to cook, try to book Mama Agata's cooking class which is just outside Ravello and gets tremendous reviews on trip advisor. But not cheap. I didn't discover it until 2 months before our departure and there were no openings. Next time. See http://tinyurl.com/ktuzra and http://www.mammaagata.com/cooking-class.aspx But it could be tricky getting to Ravello from Positano in time for class. It's doable but you'll want to leave yourself plenty of time. Spending a couple nights in Ravello would be nice.

If you like hiking, there are tons of great trails along the AC. Just be sure you get your calf muscles in shape. There are lots of steps. I means lots and lots. We could handle walking for hours and hours but those steps did us in. The Sunflower guide is an invaluable resource for the trails. Order from AmazonUK. Delivery was quick.

Walk around Positano, window shop, etc.

Relax on a balcony taking in the sights and sounds.

Take a day trip to the Greek ruins in Paestum. http://www.initaly.com/regions/campania/paestum.htm

As for Capri, there is so much to see and do there. The day trippers really miss a lot.

Hope this helps.

bxl4373 Jun 25th, 2009 05:14 PM

dcd, congrats on your 10th ann. I loved Capri but can you stay there on a budget? We are going to Italy for 18 days in May. Plane fare is booked but nothing else.
Thanks
Judy

LizaMarie Jun 25th, 2009 06:26 PM

I stayed at Tavolozza in Sept 2008 and LOVED it!!! see my trip report for a complete review. I sent a check for deposit via regular mail. it was no problem. I kept a copy as well as all the emails with Francesca and brought them with me just in case. I did book approximately 9 months in advance, and it did take them a few months to cash my check after they received it. But I sent it during the winter, and it was their low season. You will LOVE it!!

dcd Jun 25th, 2009 06:35 PM

I can't recommend the Aiano B&B highly enough: http://www.capri.com/en/c/aiano
The view in the picture from that site shows the private terrace for the room we stayed in. It's Tony's largest room, the one identified by him as being a double with a 39 sq meter terrace. To start each day, Tony serves you a very nice breakfast on the table on the terrace. To end the day, it doesn't get much better than enjoying a glass of wine while sitting on the terrace admiring the view over the Bay and Capritown......... And the room itself is huge, quiet, air conditioned, and clean with a small frig, an HDTV, a sofa and chair and a large bathroom. Paradise!!

We saw the other double room and it's a very nice size but with a much smaller terrace. I would have no problem staying there. (I've got to get pics up on trip advisor for both rooms....)

And Tony, who speaks great English, is a terrific host, as is his wife.

The only problem with his place is that there are currently only 2 rooms. He used to have 3 rooms but his son just returned and is occupying one of those rooms. Tony's adding a single room which will be smallish in size. Not sure when it will be ready. He was working on it when we were there.

Bottom line: book early, real early.

His rates are very reasonable for Capri. We booked when the larger room was 150E but I believe it may now be around 170E. The other double room is a little less.

Not surprising, this place gets great reviews from trip advisor: http://tinyurl.com/cexqtj
You may be able to find other places though.

When I was looking, I didn't fully comprehend the fact that there are just 2 towns on Capri separated by a 15 minute bus ride. There's a lot more going on in Capritown, the main port city where I'm sure you were the last time, than Anacapri, which is smaller. Some folks don't like staying in Capritown, finding it too congested with people. That's the beauty of the Aiano. It's just outside of Capritown and an easy 10-15 walk to it. So plenty close to visit but away from the throngs.

dcd Jun 26th, 2009 05:11 AM

I forgot to mention that the Aiano also has wifi which worked very well with our Ipod One Touch and that there's a bus stop very nearby.

I also want to clarify my comment that it's an easy walk to the Aiano from Capritown where the boats and ferries land. That's what I'd read so we tried walking to it, ignoring Tony's advice to take one of the buses in the port area upon arrival. That's the last time we didn't take his advice!

Yes it's an easy walk IF you don't have any luggage and IF know where you're going. The Aiano is on a hill and there are a series of steps to get to it, meaning it becomes a challenging walk if you're toting luggage. Also, it's a little tricky to find the first time. It's located off a nice alley/pathway which is above and parallels the main road. I learned that lots of homes in Capri (and in the Amalfi Coast towns) are located on these nice alleys/pathways which have names just as if they were streets. And the homes located off these alleys and pathways are all assigned numbers. But I didn't know that as we were trying to find the Aiano armed with just a google map which doesn't show these alleys. So we unknowingly walked past the Aiano. 45 minutes later, afer asking umpteen locals where the place is, we finally found it. Oh well, at least it was a nice day for a hike.....

bxl4373 Jun 26th, 2009 02:29 PM

LizaMarie, I'm new at this how do I do I read your trip report on Positano?
Thanks

dcd Jun 27th, 2009 05:08 AM

bxl, click on any poster's name (including yours) and their profile page comes up. At the bottom of that page, the poster's trip reports are listed. Also, if you do a search here for "positano" or any other city, hotel, restaurant, etc, you'll get a page showing threads where that word was used. That's a great way to find helpful information. Threads that contain trip reports will have an orange symbol next to them.

LizaMarie Jul 1st, 2009 06:33 PM

bxl (and anyone else!) - here is the link to make it easier. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...alfi-coast.cfm