Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Reserving seats for train tickets already purchased?

Old May 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We just purchased train tickets from Munich to Prague on bahn.de but were for some reason not able to make a seat reservation at the same time. Is there any way to make those reservations after ticket purchase either online or when we get to Germany? Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM
ira

Hi B,

www.bahn.de lets you purchase just seat reservations online.

You can also do it at any train station in Germany.

Note that not all trains have reserved seating.

Old May 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM

The fastest connections (6 hrs) from Munich to Prague leave Munich at 8:44, 12:44, and 16:44 The 12:44 connection has one change of trains at Schwandorf; the other two connections are direct. All these trains are regional trains. No seat reservations are possible, on-line or at the station.

Since these are regional trains, you can use a Bayern-Ticket to the Czech border; an Anschluss ticket from there to Prague is about €20 pP from DB.

If you take the 8:44 on a weekday, each person will have to supplement the Bayern-Ticket until after 9 AM with a €6,60 MVV ticket (or for 3 or more people, a Partner Gesamtnetz Tageskarte for €18) to Freising.
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM

> were for some reason not able to make a seat reservation at the same time.

The direct trains from Munich to Prague are classified as RE (or is it ALX now?) on the German part of the route. In regional trains (such as RE) you cannot reserve a seat anyway.

It might be possible for the Czech part - either at a station in Geramny or from the Czech railway website. (I think it is www.jiszdenka.cz but not sure)
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM

ALX stands for Allgäu Express, a private (Swiss owned?) rail company operating under German Rail's policy to let private companies compete on the German rail lines. They operate as regional trains (equivalent in most cases, I think, to REs). The Bayern-Ticket is accepted by ALX.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Since end of 2007, ALX is Alex (Arriva Länderbahn Express), a subsidiary of Arriva Germany. No affiliation with Swiss Rail anymore. But nothing has changed with acceptance of tickets which you buy online via bahn.de or offline.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Thanks for all the info here, I just booked our train travel from Prague to Munich and back, I was also able to reserve seating too. I appreciate all the Fodor's!!