Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Reserve the Best online restaurant reservations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/reserve-the-best-online-restaurant-reservations-218430/)

Susan May 9th, 2002 12:45 PM

Reserve the Best online restaurant reservations

Has anyone had any experience with this site? They do not appear to acknowledge reservation requests, is this the case?

Liz May 9th, 2002 02:21 PM

I'm starting to wonder, too. I sent them a request more than a week ago.

Maribel May 9th, 2002 02:37 PM

Susan,<BR>I couldn't make the site work for me either, although I didn't try their phone contact. Found the stie quite frustrating to use. I just faxed our restaurant list to our concierge 2 weeks in advance, and he made our reservations for us, although we missed out on 2 of our choices, L'Astrance and Le Regalade, because I hadn't given him a month's notice.

Gregg May 9th, 2002 02:53 PM

I too tried with no response. I sent an e-mail to them and they ignored my complaint by telling me to fill out the request. I would call or fax the places you want to visit. <BR>Mirabel-don't feel bad about L'Astrance it may be the most difficult seat in the world at this moment. The only way we got in was because my friend lives in Paris and works in the industry. I am beginning to consider auctioning this resv on e-bay just to see the response! .............................Never-just kidding. I can barely contain my excitement. Gregg

David May 9th, 2002 03:31 PM

Susan,<BR><BR>I put in a request five-and-a-half weeks before we traveled to Paris last September. When we returned home after two weeks there was a message on our answering machine asking me to "confirm" that we still wanted the reservaton...A lot of good that did us.<BR><BR>I would go with Gregg's suggestion on this one.<BR><BR>Strive

Maribel May 9th, 2002 04:04 PM

Gregg,<BR>Please let me know what I missed-that is if you don't sell that table for a small fortune! :)<BR><BR>Susan,<BR>Forgot to mention that many of Reserve the Best's restaurants can be contacted by email-Violin d'Ingres, Jules Verne, Arpege, Le Divellic, Jacques Cagnes, Bouillon Racine, Ferme St. Simon, le Telegraphe and others.<BR><BR>I found their emails in my Michelin Paris Guide Rouge. I emailed Les Bookinistes and received a very prompt reply. [email protected]<BR>Then my concierge called them a couple of days before to reconfirm.

NobodyImportant May 10th, 2002 08:35 AM

Why not use a 1010 number or international calling plan--whatever--so you can call France for a dime a minute....then just call for your own reserations? They speak English at most of the places mentioned. Keep time difference in mind and just call.While you do, get a fax number and then send a written confirmation, requesting the same from them. Take that with you because some of the busiest places make mistakes like everyone else.

JOdy May 10th, 2002 09:11 AM

I had no problems with them last year with restaurant or hotel reservations, in fact I was delighted with their service...HOWEVER!! This year when I tried to make hotel reservations I got no response to either their booking form or an email sent to them. I don't know what their problem is but it certainly seems that they have 1 or more!

Neil May 10th, 2002 10:18 AM

I used them a couple months ago to make reservations at several Paris restaurants. They responded in a couple days and even got me a table at Jules Verne, although failed at Le Grand Vefour. I'm leaving for France tomorrow, so I emailed them a couple days ago to reconfirm my reservations and they replied the next day that they are all confirmed. However, a couple weeks after the first set of requests I made another request through the web site - never got a response.<BR><BR>If it is imperative you get reservations at certain restaurants, the best way is to call yourself. I was uncomfortable calling a foreign country so I faxed some of my requests and e-mailed others. Both worked just fine.

Susan May 10th, 2002 12:29 PM

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Now that I have finally decided upon a hotel, I will have the hotel make my reservations. BTW when I emailed Reserve the Best I got the same response to fill out the form. Oh well, we all live and learn.