Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Reservations recommended? & what to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 06:03 PM
Maura & Joe

We are planning a trip in Northern Italy (smaller towns) and Rome in September 2000. Do we need to have hotel reservations before we go, or should we be able to find good rooms (reasonable rates) after we get there? <BR> <BR>Also heard that American casual wear may be a little too casual in Italy. Any word on some good travel wear while there? <BR> <BR>Thanks, and I'm sure we'll need more info later. <BR> <BR>Ciao, MO

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 07:28 PM
xxx

Awesome. You have a time machine? I want to go to Italy in September 2000 too! <BR> <BR>And you can find plenty of appropriate casual wear in America before you leave on your trip. Try New York City. Fifth Avenue. They have a store there called Armani. <BR> <BR>By the way, you don't need hotel reservation there (New York City), either. This is a perfect month to find good rooms (reasonable rates) after you get there, too.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 08:25 PM
Nick

Dear XXX, <BR> <BR>Why even bother posting if you have nothing positive to contribute? Obviously they made a minor typo in stating the date of travel.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 08:36 PM
Cami

I recently went to visit my travel agent about an upcoming trip to Italy and was told that while you can typically get a hotel room without reservations in small towns, it's imperative that you book ahead for the big cities, such as Rome, Venice and Florence. Of course, September might be a busy travel month in Italy and would require reservations everywhere. (I'm traveling in January). <BR> <BR>Like you, I'm curious as to the appropriate dress. Are skirts required for visiting churches and cathedrals, or can I get by with just making sure that my legs and shoulders are covered? Are black jeans appropriate? Can I get by with one dress for a 10 day trip?

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 08:44 PM
elvira

Definitely get a reservation in Rome - September is still tourist season, and if you want a choice of accommodations, reserve! I don't like traveling without reservations, especially during tourist season, so my recommendation is to make reservations ahead for all your rooms. The couple of times I've winged it, I've either spent hours looking for a room, or gotten less than acceptable accommodations (on the outskirts, creepy hotel, creepier hotel manager). <BR> <BR>Italians tend to be 'dressier' than Americans, but you don't worry. Think BLACK - black pants, black jacket, black skirt, etc. - and more tailored clothes (pleat front pants i/o dockers; silky blouse i/o GO NAVY! tshirt). Sightseeing isn't that big of a deal, but if you go out to dinner or the theatre, you'll see the difference.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 09:36 PM
xxx

I made my posting for the sheer fun of it. <BR> <BR>And as Cami and the all-knowing Elvira attest, nothing could be more foolish than to go to Rome without reservations. Except maybe going mid-town Manhattan Christmas shopping and expecting to find "good rooms (affordable rates) after we get there". <BR> <BR>If the positive contribution I made was that hard to see through my sarcasm, I am very sorry to have bothered you.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 10:31 PM
Donna

It's better to have reservations than not. Do you really want to drag your luggage all over looking for a suitable room at a good price once you arrive? Your options are more favorable when booking before you leave. I could not agree more with black slacks/skirts which, when mixed with a nice top/sweater/jacket will take you anywhere. <BR> <BR>To Elvira: Keep on posting, in spite of those who would charge that you are "all-knowing". I, for one, truly appreciate your contributions. <BR> <BR>To "xxx": if you're really sorry, you'll not bother us any more. We do not appreciate the sarcasm. Your "contribution" was neither "positive" nor useful. And, it's because of responses such as yours that dozens of seasoned veterans no longer contribute valuable and useful tips and information on this forum. Whoever you are.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 04:57 AM
Ed

Reservations: The trick is this: the best value-for-money hotels in Europe tend to be small, hence booked far in advance. If you're not fussy you'll &gt;rarely&lt; (not never) go without a place to sleep. September is just about as busy with tourists, especially in ROme, as the peak season. <BR> <BR>Do bear in mind that, large city or small, things like once-a-year fairs, the opening of the local opera and so forth can fill even a small town's hotels, as well in surrounding towns. <BR> <BR>Reservations mandatory? No. Recommended? Yes. More considerations at www.twenj.com/tipshotels.htm <BR> <BR>As to dress, European 'casual' dress is just a bit less casual than US. Principally in colors a bit darker, jeans a bit less prevalent, especially at night. Odds are what you have in your wardrobe is fine for the most part. If you need to supplement it you needn't spend beaucoup dollars ... a call to Land's End or stopping in at Wal-Mart or Eddie Bauer will add the one or two things you might need. More help and reassurance in this area at www.twenj.com/tipsclothes.htm <BR> <BR>Ed