Reload this Page >

Reservations necessary in Hill Towns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:18 AM
Terry

I have learned so much from this website. I am planning my first trip to Italy in October 2002, and the first part of the trip is driving through the hill towns: Assisi, Perugia, Deruta, Sienna, etc. I would like to play that part of the trip by ear and just stop when we feel the spirit move us. Is this a good plan? Our needs for lodging are modest, so coming up on a B&B wherever we happen to be is what I was hoping for. This has proven successful in England before, but we don't want to be too high and dry. Thanks for the advice.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:30 AM
Rex

Personally, I would book ahead for Assisi, but maybe it's just a matter of not wanting to take just "what's left" when a little bit of planning ahead would help ensure getting the place I want at the price I'm seeking. October is a great month in Italy, and the chances of finding a room in Assisi are unpredictable. You may do fine or you may wonder - - why couldn't we have been staying at THAT place? Hotels are pretty much you get what you pay for - - and your use of the word "modest" suggests that you would rather pay less and don't mind getting less. but payig less can also mean a crummy location - - and for Assisi that might contribute a good deal to enjoying your stroll around the town or not.<BR><BR>Probably also true about Siena (note: one "n" - - and thus, pronounced see-yae-na - - it does not rhyme with "Vienna" i.e., vee-yehn-na) - - but I have never spent a night in Siena.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:10 AM
xxx

I've played Tuscany and Umbria by ear a few times, enroute between the Dolomites and Rome/Naples. That´s not really your case, Terry. You´ll be confined to a relatively small area (e.g., if you base yourself in Lake Trasimeno, all cities you mention may be reached in less than one hour!). Therefore, moving each day to a new hotel may not exactly be the best strategy. Even if you´re able to get a hotel which isn´t in a crummy location, like Rex points out, chances are that you´ll loose more time looking for hotels, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, etc., than you would driving back and forth if you judiciously choose one or two bases (depending on how many days you´re going to spend in the area). Note, also, that each time you have your trunk loaded, you´re risking some. You may diminish this risk by taking some precautions and keeping sight seeing with the trunk loaded to a minimum.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:46 AM

topping<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:53 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Terry, It is not like the UK for B&Bs and free-lancing. I would pick 2 locations, assuming you have 4 or 5 days, and have reservations. October is still popular in Tuscany. You may find a place, just not the right place.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:53 AM
ZoLa

funny......when doing my research here at Fodors for a trip to Tuscany last fall, I noticed that most of the recommendations here were all the same places. I naturally reserved several of those places. Once we were in Italy and starting driving those Tuscan/Umbrian roads we realized there were "ZillioNs" of Argritourismos at every turn.<BR><BR>We decided next trip, we will definitely "wing it". At least you will see what you are getting. People are so often afraid to just try something new on their own. Same goes for restaurant recommendations. We "winged it" there also. Rarely were we disappointed.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:59 AM
Rex

&lt;&lt;there were "ZillioNs" of Argritourismos at every turn.<BR><BR>... People are so often afraid to just try something new on their own. &gt;&gt;<BR><BR>This is a ton of truth here - - and I will say this on spite of being a leading advocate of reserving ahead. My bias comes from traveling more in groups than in twosomes.<BR><BR>We all discover places in our travels that have NO internet presence - - never have had - - and won't any time soon. So, lots of great place (and even borderline shabby places - - but still important to know about) will not have a URL.<BR><BR>Ideally, that ought to be one of the great things about this forum - - to give an internet presence to places that each of us discover, just stumbling along.<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
Tom

Personally prefer to have reservations. Although you can get lucky and stumble upon a great place, you can also spend a good portion of a day trying to find a room (voice of experience talking from a previous trip). Prefer to have a bed to sleep in and then wing it on what you do each day whether it be visit a town, winery or just relax. Have fun

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:12 PM
I think

Good answer, Tom.<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:43 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Sue

Hi,<BR><BR>We were in Italy last summer. We traveled around tuscany and Umbria for about 6 days and never had a reservation. We had no problem finding really nice places to stay. Also it did not comsume much time at all. Most nights we arrived in a town between 5 or 6. It helps to know the Italian for Bed and Breakfast, because if you ask for a hotel they will only tell you about hotels and not mention b&b. We stayed is the most wonderful b&b in Todi. We had the room with the view. $80 USD for three of us. We did this in July. Go for it.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:17 PM
Sue

When we were in Siena last May, our hotel (Duomo) was booking for Oct. I'm sure not every place is booked, but the small, medium priced hotels that are "faves" on this board fill up early.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:55 AM
linda

I would avoid Assisi on Oct.4th-it is the feast of St. Francis and he is very important saint in Italy. It will probably be overun with people on that day.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:05 PM
Sandy

Sue: What was the name of your wonderful Todi b&b, or its web site or e-mail? Thanks. Sandy

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 03:34 AM
from the top of the hill towns

to the top of the forum<BR>