Reload this Page >

Reservation Fee for the train from Stockholm to Copenahgen

Old Dec 19th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everybody,

Do you know the Reservation Fee of the above mention train if I have Eurail pass?

Do you think it is worth to you a Eurail pass in Northern Europe.

Hope to hear your sharing.

Thanks.

Gavin
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Are you asking if there is one or how much it is?

It depends on the train. Presumably you are talking about the high speed tilting train, and if so, yes, there is a reservation fee. It's minimal if you get it once you are in Stockholm rather than book the reservation from whomever sold you the Eurail pass.

For me, a Eurail Pass for the Scandinavian countries are well worth the costs, even with all the high speed trains that require reservations, since Norway and Sweden cover a lot of territory that is often best seen by train, and you get either reduced or sometimes free (as part of the pass) passage on ferries, boats, and specialty trains.

We used it for the overnight ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki (what a trip!!!) on the Silja line; reduced fare for Norway in a Nutshell, and so forth.

This summer, we were able to use it -- not for the above-described countries, but in Switzerland to go to Zermatt on an amazing cog wheel train.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried to figure this out by going to the Swedish Rail site www.sj.se but unfortunately all i could learn is that for normally purchased tickets the seat reservation is included in the price.

However, as you suspect if you use a Eurail Pass you are going to have to pay for the seat reservation.

I actually took the same one way trip a couple years ago and I used a pass. Unfortunately I do not remember how much I paid for the seat reservation.

What I would do if I were you is go to the Swedish rail site and make a dummy booking (if it is too far out from your actual travel date to make a real one) to see what the point to point prices are like.

They may be cheaper than buying a pass. For the trip Stockholm-Copenhagen there are at least three (vastly) different prices for non-refundable, refundable, etc., as well as the different prices for First vs. Second Class.

You can convert the currency values using www.xe.com if needed.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 11:33 AM

go to www.ricksteves.com - last I looked they had a run-down of all madated reservation fees for railpasses on trains - I believe this train is about $10-12 above using a day on the pass. And yes they are mandated I believe. There is IME of using railpasses for decades rarely any problem making the requisite seat reservation once there - except France being the only exception to this IME. Other sites that may shed some light on this and other railpass/European train queries are www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.

And if you have a first-class pass then making reservations is all the more guaranteed as they are always lots more empty seats in first class.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 05:04 AM

You can now make 'reservation only' bookings at www.sj.se if you have a pass.

Remember SJ operates airline-style pricing. A cheap deal pre-booked will be far cheaper than any railpass plus reservation fee, although a pass may save money compared to full-rice flexible tickets.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 06:44 AM

A cheap deal pre-booked will be far cheaper than any railpass>

well yeh of course if that is the only trip the OP is doing - presumably using the pass for other trips as well.

And how much is the reservation fee at www.sj.se? That was the question.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 08:33 AM

Actually if you look at the Eurail Map that comes with your pass last I knew they had a chart of all trains in Europe that required surcharges with passes and gave the amount in local currency.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM

On the 2012 Eurail Map they list the following as seat reservation costs a railpass holder must pay - on the X2000 it is 17 euros (equivalent in Swedish kroner) in 1st class and 7 euros if you want to go 2nd class - possible even if you have a first-class pass - on all other type trains seat reservations are optional and cost 5 and 3 euros respectively.