Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rescheduling Sept 08 trip for March.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rescheduling-sept-08-trip-for-march-433328/)

reddots Sep 14th, 2008 03:49 AM

Rescheduling Sept 08 trip for March....

Hi everyone. Due to a very sad circumstance of the death of my father, our September 2008 1st Anniversary trip is to be rescheduled. We need to use our plane tickets by March 28, 1 year to the date of booking.
I planned for a wonderful Sept trip including the Tuscan countryside and CT. I am worried that March will be cold, brown and gray.

If anyone has visited Italy in March please give me your feedback!!

kfusto Sep 14th, 2008 03:56 AM

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

While March may not have the usually good weather of September, it is a great to visit before the crowds descend. Depending on what you had planned, your plans may not be impacted very much at all and you can likely save on accommodations and more.

While I would cancel the CT portion of your trip, perhaps you could substitute with another area that appeals.

Barbara_in_CT Sep 14th, 2008 04:01 AM

March in Italy isn't all that cold and it is much less crowded.

I'm sorry that you have lost your father but you haven't 'lost' your trip. It will be a little different but it will still be good.

jdc26 Sep 14th, 2008 04:57 AM

Hi R, sorry to hear about your loss.

I visited Florence in March of this year and the weather was wonderful and definitely less crowded than when I was there in September of last year.

Good luck with your re-booking and having a great time.

jdc

teacherCanada Sep 14th, 2008 04:59 AM

reddots

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time. You are right to focus on family now.

tC

Timlin Sep 14th, 2008 05:17 AM

reddots, I wanted to come and give you my condolences too. It's a very difficult time when you lose your Dad.

I know your trip will be special no matter when you go.....just take the right "holiday attitude" with you and nothing will dampen the good times.

Do come and let us know how it turns out. In the meantime, do be careful while your distracted with thoughts of your Dad.

reddots Sep 14th, 2008 05:34 AM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Our itinerary was Venice-CT-Tuscany-Rome with 10 nights in total.

If we go in March we will extend to 12 days (why not, right?).

I know the cities will be fine and less crowded but what about Tuscany?

dutyfree Sep 14th, 2008 07:49 AM

I am sorry for the passing of your Dad and know that its a very difficult time for you right now.

Actually I think that a trip to Italy is perfect in March-its when I usually travel for vacation there as the crowds are down before spring break and its a nice sweater weather trip. I usually eat outside and the flowers are in bloom in the countryside,etc.I have been in CT in November and in February and have had decent weather but then I am from Chicago so that will give you a clue?

Personally,Italy is wonderful no matter what time of the year so get through this difficult time and have something to look forward to in the future when things settle down.Good luck!

MomDDTravel Sep 14th, 2008 08:53 AM

reddots - I am very sorry for the loss of your Dad.

bfrac Sep 14th, 2008 09:27 AM

Reddots, I am very sorry for your loss.

My good friends went to CT, Tuscany, Rome, Venice and stops in between this past March for 18 days. They had good spring like weather for most all of the trip. This should be a very pretty time with all of the spring flowers starting to bloom.