Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   RER from CDG into Paris-how crowded is it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rer-from-cdg-into-paris-how-crowded-is-it-111902/)

Susan Mar 13th, 2001 05:29 AM

RER from CDG into Paris-how crowded is it?

HI and thanks to all those who take the time to answer. I have taken the train before but always later in the morning. This time I am looking around 8am or so. Will it be really crowded with commuters and/or tourists? I never carry much luggage but if it is standing room only, I might consider an alternate mode of transportation. I do love the train though - get to see the city and it is so reasonable. Thanks

Capo Mar 13th, 2001 06:13 AM

Hi Susan. As I recall, I took the RER into Paris from CDG early in the morning once and it didn't seem that crowded. I've never had to stand on the RER either on the way from, or on the way to, CDG (which is not to say, of course, that other people haven't had to.)

sandy Mar 13th, 2001 06:17 AM

I did take the RER a few years ago during rush hour. It was very crowded with commuters, but hardly any tourists. I only had one of the little roll-away suitcases and a large purse and I was comfortable with that. One of the people that I traveled with had two huge suitcases on a luggage cart, and that was very awkward (trying to get through the turnstyles, luggage falling off the cart, etc. As long as you have a good awareness of your space and you can manage to not trip or clobber anyone with your bag, you should be OK. And be thinking ahead about getting through turnstyles and up and down stairs with a lot of people around you moving faster than you. I think we were standing on the train, and I just pulled my bag as close to me as possible so I wouldn't be a total space hog. If I'd had even one really big suitcase, I think I would have felt better taking a cab, but with what I had it worked fine.

StCirq Mar 13th, 2001 07:20 AM

I have taken the RER from CDG into Paris on quite a number of occasions on a weekeday around 8 am. It is jammed with commuters and students. By the time it gets to CDG it is generally standing room only, and barely standing room by my standards.With luggage, after an all-night flight, it is extremely unpleasant IMO. These days I always take a taxi, but even the Air France and Roissy buses are less of a hassle than the RER.

Lesli Mar 13th, 2001 10:12 AM

The RER can get very crowded, but is manageable if you don't have much luggage. I usually just stand with my roll-aboard and tote bag in the area near the doors. Did this w/my mom on my last trip, in spite of the crowds, without problems. <BR> <BR>I still prefer the RER over a cab, bus or van service because it is faster (no traffic jams) and cheaper.

elvira Mar 13th, 2001 10:36 AM

Inbound from CDG isn't too bad; it's the terminus, so the cars are empty when you get on. I get a seat close to the door; with a small rolling bag, I can always hold it on my lap. If I had big suitcases, I would stow them at the end of the car, as out of the way as possible, and find a seat nearby. As the train heads toward Paris, lots of commuters are getting on, and the cars can get crowded; if you have the large suitcases stacked, I'd suggest leaning or sitting on them (once again, near the door, but not in the way - a real exercise in spatial relations). <BR> <BR>Outbound can be ugly; the train starts waaay south of Paris, and there are already 7 trillion commuters on the train when it gets to Paris; most of them get off by the time the train leaves the center, but that's usually where you're getting on, so it can be harrowing.