Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Requirements for renting a moped in Santorini and Mykonos.

Jul 12th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Jenn

Hello Everyone, I have a quick question. I heard that it is necessary for your license to have written on it motorcycle in order to rent a moped in Santorini and Mykonos. First , does anyone know if this is true and second, how does one obtain a motorcycle license, do you actually have to learn to know how to ride a motorcycle?

Jul 12th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Paulo

In principle, one should have a license to ride motorcycles to rent a moped in Santorini. This doesn't necessarily mean that one wouldn't be able to rent one without it ... we rented a minicar (GDR 11,000/day) but when we asked if they would rent us a scooter without having the license they said that, though irregular, they would. They wouldn't rent a 250cc bike, though!
Paulo

Jul 12th, 2000, 11:52 AM
Linda

I was in Santorini (May, 1999) and was told by the rental shop that
"Americans" must have a motorcycle license (class D?) to rent a moped. My guess was that Europeans were excluded since mopeds are very often the mode of transportation in most European cities and the number of accidents and fatalities on the islands were inexperienced moped-riding Americans. The roads do look quite dangerous so we didn't feel too bad about not being able to rent one. They had some great Jeeps available....Good luck

Jul 13th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Martina

For thorough info on renting motorbikes, cars etc. please have a look at my Website:

www.paros-online.com (go to "Around" in the menu!)

DO NOT DO IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE A LICENCE AND ARE INEXPERIENCED. THERE ARE MANY TOO MANY ACCIDENTS HERE IN GREECE. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET, & POLICE CONTROLS ARE FREQUENT THESE DAYS!

With best regards,
Martina

Oct 21st, 2000, 01:19 PM
eric

hello,

we were in Mykonos and Santorini in May and June 2000. I only had our regular St. of Florida USA drivers license. We had no trouble renting a moped in either island. Hope you have a good trip. Ours was incredible.