Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Require help touring through Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/require-help-touring-through-italy-539521/)

lacey_pjs Jun 26th, 2005 04:38 AM

Require help touring through Italy

For my honeymoon mid October (2005), I'll be on a 7 night cruise that ends in Rome. For the second week we're staying in Rome for 3 nights then with a rented car we're driving to Tuscany and staying for 4 nights. I would like to fit in a day trip to Pisa and Venice. Would it be easier to drive there from Tuscany or take a train trip (from either Rome or Tuscany)? On the 4th day we have to make the trek back to Rome to fly home.
Also I've read a few postings regarding the dress code for the Vatican. I'm still not clear. I've read sleeveless shirts, shirts with any vulgarities etc. are not acceptable. As a woman can I wear pants? And what about open toed or running shoes? Could someone please suggets an appropriate outfit?
Thanks!

fun4all4 Jun 26th, 2005 04:57 AM

HI!
Let me answer your second question first...regarding dress code for the Vatican. Shoes are not an issue so any that you are wearing are fine. Pants are appropriate. Basically, your knees and shoulders must be covered so pants, capris or a long skirt are fine as are tops which are short sleeved (but not sleeveless).
As for the first part of your query, where will you be staying in Tuscany? Are you planning to spend any time in Florence? Pisa may work as a day trip, but Venice is, in my opinion, way too much for a day trip. From Florence, the train trip is about 3 hours each way and that doesn't include getting to the train if you are staying in Tuscany. Driving that for a day trip would be a bit nuts. With 4 nights in Tuscany and the need to be back in Rome the 4th day, you only have 3 full days in Tuscany. There is so much to see and do there, I would really recommend enjoying where you are instead of spending long travel days to visit a totally different area.
Good luck and happy travels.

ira Jun 26th, 2005 05:01 AM

Good advice from fun.

Dayle Jun 26th, 2005 06:20 AM

Hi Lacey,

Agree with the others, Venice will not work for a day trip. It deserves 3 - 4 days at least. Enjoy your time in Tuscany! You'll wish you had more.

Congratulations and buon viaggio!

rex Jul 1st, 2005 02:14 PM

topping...

copilot Jul 2nd, 2005 05:19 AM

Since you have a rental car, I would highly recommend staying in Tuscany and driving out in the country - just drive to some of the little hill towns and try to get a bit off the beaten track. Just my opinion, but I thought Pisa was highly overrated and touristy. Depends on what you are looking for; on our last trip to Italy, we confined ourselves to one small area of Umbria, but we explored all the nooks and crannies of the area and had a wonderful time. I think you might be better off saving Venice and Pisa for another trip, and savoring beautiful Tuscany instead.

sssteve Jul 2nd, 2005 10:41 AM

I agree with all the other posters. If you only have 4 days in Tuscany, spend them all in Tuscany. I suggest you find a place near Siena which you can use as a base for the entire stay in Tuscany. The Siena environs are the most centrally located area and will allow you to visit anywhere in Tuscany in an hour or less.

I also suggest skipping Pisa. It's just not worth the time. Your visit should be split into 4 different areas - Florence, Siena, the Pienza- Multipulciano- Montalcino area and if you've got time left, Chianti.