Requesting feedback on couple of London flats for family of 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello – I’ve been watching the various London postings for a month or so and have learned quite a bit from reading along. Hopefully, I’m giving all the info necessary to get feedback on an apartment we are considering. for our first trip to London. We will be arriving mid-June for a one week’s stay before traveling by Eurostar to Paris. We are a family of 4, adults age 50’ish and 2 teenagers, 13 and 15. We are looking for a 2 BR flat, preferably with twin beds in the 2nd Br but that is not an absolute, especially if there is a pull-out sofa. I have found the following flats that are available for our dates by using several agencies suggested on this forum. As this is our first trip to London, wanting to know if any of these are in a particularly ‘better’ neighborhood in terms of convenience to tube stop and availability of local markets and restaurants. We plan to do many of the typical tourist things but also like to walk the neighborhoods to browse shops and markets. These both fall within our budget of $2,500 or less for the week or about £225 per night though the second one is about $300 more than the first and appears smaller in terms of living space though again location trumps that.

http://www.aplacelikehome.co.uk/l301...bqxgagpxf.aspx - looks like a good location but unclear how far to the nearest tube stop.

http://www.aplacelikehome.co.uk/l06-...-bqxccpxf.aspx

Thank you so much for any feedback. Once we get this decided I can then concentrate more on what to do while there.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 09:31 AM

Neither are more than 3 mins from the tube. Sloane Square is on the District and the Circle lines as is Gloucester Road (which is also on the Piccadilly). Both are great areas IMO. The Piccadilly line also connects Heathrow with St Pancras for the Eurostar.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 09:37 AM

For me, the absence of a really usable dining space in the first one in Chelsea would be a deal breaker. It looks like you need to rearrange the furniture to open up the dining table to seat 4 people == and then the space would be so cramped in that room it would be hard to do anything but sit, not move around. Just to eat breakfast in the morning, I wouldn't want to have to set up the table and then put everything back in order before leaving.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 09:43 AM

I would say they are more like a 10 minute walk to their respective tube stations.

I haven't read what rooms or facilities they have - you can make your own mind up on that.

Personally I would go for York House - Sloane Sq is a classy area. Lots of buses nearby too. Though you would need to change on the tube once if arriving from Heathrow and going to St Pancas for the eurostar, but that's hardly an issue.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 09:46 AM

Both are close to the stations and an easy walk. Based on location I would choose the sloane square location, it's in a lovely posh location...just keep in mind that the shops around the area are high end designer shops.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 09:54 AM

watch out for sloane rangers though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloane_Ranger
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:06 AM

The second is larger and has two baths - to me a major advantage. However I like the location of the first much more - but we always like to be as central as possible.

Agree that tube is more like 10 mins away than 3 (that would be around the corner).

Both seem to be reasonable options.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM

<I would say they are more like a 10 minute walk to their respective tube stations.>

10 minutes from Turk's Row to Sloane Square? Perhaps, if you are blindfold and doing it on your hands and knees. I used to do Ranelagh Gardens to Sloane Square in 4 minutes and I ain't Jessica Ennis.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ Havana. Turks Row to Sloane Sq could only take 10 minutes if one was pushing a 250lb man in a wheelchair . . . and even then it probably wouldn't take 10 minutes.

Rosary gardens is maybe a teensy bit farther from a tube station - but not enough to make a difference

I like the location of Turks Row better - but Rosary Gardens has two bathrooms so that is a big plus.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:45 AM

well it takes my three legged crippled guide dog 10 minutes
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:51 AM

Perhaps I am more athletic than I thought. Rio 2016 must be a realistic goal. Does Mo Farrah need a training partner?
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:55 AM

Also, on the sporting theme, apparently the Superbowl is tonight, which I understand is a game of American Football. Question. Is this just Rugby for people who don't want to get hurt?
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 11:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
sofarsogood: "<i>well it takes my three legged crippled guide dog 10 minutes</i>"

Havana128: Can't talk about/explain the Super Bowl just now - about to sign off for the duration -- My team is in it and have to get my game face on.

(I tried to book tix for Oct's game at Wembly and its already sold out )

<B><red>GO <GOLD>N</GOLD>I<GOLD>N</GOLD>E<GOLD>R</GOLD>S!!!!!</B>
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Wow - you all are awesome! I had thought there might be a reply or two in 24 hours. I very much appreciate your feedback. We suspected the Sloane Square flat to be somewhat better situated but are leaning towards the Rosary Gardens due to the 2nd bath, overall larger space and presence of a dryer. Having lived in FL most of my life, trying to air dry clothing in a humid environment might prove to be a challenge. It is good to know that is also fairly well located and within reasonable walking distance to a tube stop.

If you ever wish to visit my beautiful adopted state of Colorado, I'd be most happy to return the favor of information.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 12:32 PM

Glad to help...just want to warn you though...just because it has a dryer doesn't mean it will fully dry like an American dryer! Our condenser dryer leaves everything mildly damp and we still have to hang our clothes to fully dry them! So don't leave the washing to the night before you leave!
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 12:38 PM

tarfan: The Rosary Gardens flat looks great-much better area for places to eat, groceries, etc.; agree with above poster... "it's in a lovely posh location...just keep in mind that the shops around the area are high end designer shops."

But be aware that the washer/dryer is a combination unit - the dryer is more of a tumble dryer and takes longer to dry clothes. Also (since you have 2 teenage girls) be aware there are no outlets in UK bathrooms - will probably have to use their flat irons, etc. in the kitchen (I used the micro. door for a mirror).
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Good to know about the dryers, jamikins. We will definitely plan to do laundry before last night in London! And of course the link I posted to the Rosary Gardens flat is the *wrong one*. A Place Like Home has several in that area which I didn't realize at first. I'm hoping the one I included is available as it *is* larger but they do have another in the very same area that is available and within our budget. Should know for sure tomorrow what's available and make a decision. I've been overwhelmed by all the choices (my hubby would say procrastinating) and had hoped to have this done by the end of Dec <sigh>.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 03:03 PM

Sorry - was interrupted while writing post - meant to type, agreee with above poster about Sloane Square area..."it's...